>

Marshall 2021 new models

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by mrp, Dec 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. pentatonicwanker

pentatonicwanker Member

i know there's a pandemic going on but still bummed Marshall doesn't appear to be doing anything this year.

2. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

It'd be nice if Marshall added the extra modes that the DSL40 and DSL100 have to the DSL20, DSL5, and DSL1. I'm not sure whether that is technically possible, but it would be cool to have.

3. Paul Chamberlain

Paul Chamberlain New Member

I spoke to a Marshall dealer today. He said that Marshall have had to split the Handwired team into 3 and do separate shifts so that they always have people to build stuff. But, it's really slowed things down and they have a long delay in fulfilling orders.

SkyMonkey and tce63 like this.
  4. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

The most important new product they need to come out with is the new little box that looks like a micro head/combo that can sit on top of your 20 watt head, should be sized about the width of your handle on top, named the Marshall "Sucker".
    It's a load box /attenuator and IR loader for all the suckers who bought a Studio Series 20 watt tube amp and think they can be used in a bedroom. It will also have a headphone out and two tiny 3" speakers with a built in 1/4 watt SS power amp for those times when you need that "amp in room" sound. This will be made in the Vietnam factory. They will also have another UK made flagship version where it does not have the 3" speakers and SS power amp but just a 1 watt tube power amp for that authentic "amp in room" sound. There would be an optional special designed speaker cab with a 12" speaker that is ported to allow for more bottom end that you can hook up to your 1 watt tube output of your Sucker. This 1 watt tube power section would be the same as the 1 watt power section of the 50th anniversary JMP1 model.

Edit: In a few years down the road they can come out with version 2.0 which has a 5 watt / switchable to 1 watt power section and can handle the full brutal power of the 1959 and other 100 watters.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Hey CSB, is that you from the ‘My Les Paul’ forum?

cherrysunburst00 and tce63 like this.
  6. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Active Member

INDEED IT IS. Used to call you Wizard of Scozz :)

scozz likes this.
  7. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Marshall needs to capitalize on this pandemic and mass produce the 1 Watt amps.

A pattern I've noticed is a lot of people jumped all over the Studio 20 watt series expecting a house friendly Marshall Plexi and JCM800. You'll see that tho the Studio series was a home run, a lot of people are disapointed with the inability to achieve proper house and bedroom volumes.

The fact the pandemic has a lot of guitarist stuck at home unable to gig or jam with others makes for a great opportunity to sell the 1 watt heads and combos. I bet they would be extremly sucsessful with many guitarist buying multiple models if not collect them all as many fortunate ones did with the anniversary release.

They could capitalize on it by releasing matching 1x10 A and B cabs for each specific model, allowing to create a mini stack.

JTM1, JMP1, JCM1 and the DSL1 all with corresponding and matching 1x10 cabs.

Make them at the Vietnam factory and price them at a respectible $299/$399 price point.

SkyMonkey, wntbtw, mad5066 and 2 others like this.
  8. pentatonicwanker

pentatonicwanker Member

Totally agree. I'd have probably bought a two or three of them. I was outbid on a JCM1 at the start of the pandemic but wasn't willing to pay for what it eventually sold for (just over $1k!)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Maggot Brain and tce63 like this.
  9. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The 1 watt series are great, I only have the JTM1-Offset at the moment.

And here is a ad of all of them :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-2012-50th-Anniversary-1-watt-Series-Full-Set-of-Heads-and-Combos/333897753323?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Maggot Brain likes this.
  10. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Active Member

That's an interesting idea. I have a JMP 1H and JMC 1H & 1C. Terrific amps. I'm pretty sure that Marshall had promised not to make subsequent versions, yet they made reissues of the DSL1, so...

tce63 and Maggot Brain like this.
  11. JonSick

JonSick Active Member

As for reissues, I'm pretty much of the opinion that not much really needs reissuing. They already have the best JCM800 and JCM900 out now. Really I prefer my reissue JCM800 to my old school 2203. I only have an old school 4100, but I'm sure the reissue is good too though not totally on board with reissuing that exact JCM900.

The DSL range I think has been done now. The DSL40CR and DSL100HR do everything you want a DSL to do really.

The JMP1 rackmount is a great unit. I could see that making a comeback but really if you want rackmount gear chances are you're going to go for a modeller. I mean, even Mesa have long since discontinued their rackmounts. Outside of the Engl E530 and Rocktron where you can find them, there isn't much in the straight rackmount preamp realm, nor are there many rack effects options around now. So really can't see that happening. It also seems a bit long for Marshall to try and throw a new toy into the modelling frame. It's pretty much dominated by the companies already doing it and Marshall's offerings to date in this realm aren't as good.

Personally, I think their 2021 offerings may be more home-based. I could see a reissue of the 8100 given the condition high-priced used 8100s are these days. I could see most metal players going for one. I probably would too. The Studio Classic series is excellent so I'm expecting more along that line.

My money is for 2022 for a new flagship range, something to replace the JVM range. The JCM2000 had pretty much all the options you may want as a live player; the JVM410h I think is potentially over complicated. I mean, four channels, three modes per channel... do you really need 12 different sounds as a live player? I think I use one or two at most. But overall the JVM is darker than the JCM2000s. If we're doing wishlist, I'd want the TSL100s layout with the JVM410h sound and potentially some option to really tighten up the low-end for the myriad of downtuned players around these days.

mrp, tce63 and scozz like this.
  12. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I still have all the 50ths from 2012. It wouldn't bother me if they came out with Vietnam versions because i didn't buy them to make money off them later. Only thing is, while they can't touch the volume of the Studio Series i feel like at the same folks that thought they could rock an SV in the house/apartment without help may be disappointed still. My house is 3500sqft and I can easily wake my wife up with one. Even into a 1x10.

13. wntbtw

wntbtw Well-Known Member

Yeah I had both the 1 watt JTM & JMP & to get them to sound their best, they had to also be cranked & then were pretty loud. In retrospect, I wish I had purchased the 1 watt JCM 800 also. Edit: the .1 watt mode on the 50th Anniv. amps was a nice feature though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  14. pentatonicwanker

pentatonicwanker Member

Hell, even my modern DSL1HR on low power mode (0.1 watts, allegedly) is way too loud to dime at home.

wntbtw and tce63 like this.
  15. EADGBE

EADGBE Well-Known Member

A reissue 2204X and reissue DSL50 would be nice.

Kim Lucky Day and tce63 like this.
  16. sullimd

sullimd Well-Known Member

The low watt market is where it’s at, but they also haven’t released a new flagship in 15 years! So if they expand the studio line to include maybe a JTM, JVM? Idk. I also don’t know what the new flagship amp could be, but definitely power scaling and including recording features, like a built in Two-Notes (which Revv did, so it’s doable) and IR loading/editing. So hard to tell, because it seems like everything’s been done, and every tone has been covered. Like others have said, Marshall has just about everyone covered - EXCEPT the recording world. IMO, people want to be able to take an amp out and play at loud volumes, play at their buddy’s house (we’re getting the band back together!) then take that same amp home and play/record with it in the bedroom. Record easily, that is. Take the physical cab away and go straight into my interface, and still have IR options - without spending another $1000 on separate devices.

Again, maybe guys like Two Notes have already mastered this market, so Marshall doesn’t want to take the R&D time, but they could partner with Two Notes and create something killer.

Remember, a company like Marshall is going to spent millions on R&D, so they can’t produce an amp for the 1%, they have to do something that’s going to have mass appeal to make it worth it. Boutique builders can make and sell a couple hundred custom amps per year for the 1% and make a good living. Marshall needs to sell hundreds of thousands.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  17. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

While I agree, that issue will always be revalent when it comes to amplified guitar. The goal of a 1watt is so you can enjoy that dimed volume at realistic volume levels. I have the DSL1Cr and agree it is LOUD even at .1watt but if you really can't play at anything other than TV volume than a MV is a necessity. I'm sure there are more guitarist that could get away with or would prefer cranking a 1watt than there is people able and willing to crank 20watts, 50watts and 100watts.

I love my DSL1 and my 3watt Alamo and find myself playing those more than say my VM2266. Nothing beats pushing an amp and without an antenuator the VM just dosnt get the Mojo working until 4 or 5 on the MV. I would be a big buyer of 1watt Marshalls, if they ever releases the 1watt series again at realistic prices I know I would buy multiple right out the gate. If they could price them at $299 i know I'd justify buying 2 of the models at one time and then I have no doubt I'd buy the rest of them over time.

SkyMonkey and Biff Maloy like this.
  18. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I have enjoyed my collection no doubt. I swear I don't think there's anything left combination wise i haven't tried. I try to be straight up about them for anybody curious because low tube wattage can be misunderstood. A master volume consideration still comes into play like you said.

19. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

I wish they'd make the beer again. Used to have it in the supermarket in the UK and Spain. Never see it now.

tce63 likes this.
  20. mrp

mrp Active Member

There's a certain studio-friendly characteristic to the sound, be it due to the Op-Amp stage or the Cathode Follower stage or the overall design. Most amps seem raw in comparison. No wonder JMP-1's have jumped up 2-4 fold in price.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.