Marshall 1977 cab (1982): rattling....

raketenmann

Reaction score
Hey there
I have an old Marshall 1982 cabinet from around 1977. The original Blackbacks G12H30 55Hz are gone.... at least 3 of them, one I kept, but it is not my favourite speaker. I used the cab live for several years, but converted it to a studio cab, with a nice speaker arsenal (Eminence Wizard, G12H30, Fane A60 and a Celestion V-Type).

I always didn't like the boxiness of closed back cabinets, so I decided to but in some muffling. I did put in a big piece of Basotect acoustic foam, 10cm thick, this piece ist hanging from the top of the cabinet. For this, i did remove the middle post there is in the cab.

Well. I don't know if the problem first occured then or if it has something to do with a speaker I put in just anything else, but there is some sort of rattling which I don't know where it is coming from. So the question to all the experts: Does this cab need this middle post that connects the baffle to the real panel? I did some test without mounting the back of the cab, the rattling was audible, so it has nothing to do with the real panel. The only thing I could think of is the baffle vibrating to much. I always thought that this middle post is only in case of transportation, to make it more rigid, but now I am not sure...

Also, the plastic handles are vibrating a bit, but I fixed this with tape. I would like to do this properly, but don't know how to... The handles are connected with rivets, not screws. Anyone any ideas?

What are your experiences with these cabs? Could I probably improve the sound with some modifications? Is the baffle only fixed with screws? Whould it make sense to take it out and glue it down?

I would really appreciate your ideas and thoughts...

best regards from Switzerland

raketenmann

Reaction score
best to find the source of the rattle. Some people caulk around the handles & baffle, etc.
Hey there. Thank you for that. Well actually it is wuite difficult to find the source of the rattle... it is somehow omnipresent, very hard to find out... But I think it could be the baffle....

V-man

Reaction score
The handles (toilet paper holders) were the source of my 900’s 1960a. Other suggestions were to check the connections btw the speakers and cabs. I also picked up a trick to glue a strip of thick leather (went with a section of belt) between the baffle and back panel for tight vibe-free fit.

raketenmann

Reaction score
The handles (toilet paper holders) were the source of my 900’s 1960a. Other suggestions were to check the connections btw the speakers and cabs. I also picked up a trick to glue a strip of thick leather (went with a section of belt) between the baffle and back panel for tight vibe-free fit.
Hey V-man
Thank you very much! The belt did the trick! Obviously it was stupid toremove the center brace, so did it back in with the belt. But the handles still vibrate. Ich think i need to replace them with metal handles. I don‘t think it is the bad connection, cause I used glue on the inside and tape on the outside, i think the whole plastic element can start to vibrate and make noise…

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Isolate the speakers firstly to make sure they are working properly. I had a late 70's Celestion that had the spider unglued, mainly. It was creating a rattle at louder volumes.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Good god!
Youd think a speaker cabinet would last longer than 45 years, without rattling!
Im sure its an easy fix!
Good luck!

cap217

Reaction score
Hey V-man
Thank you very much! The belt did the trick! Obviously it was stupid toremove the center brace, so did it back in with the belt. But the handles still vibrate. Ich think i need to replace them with metal handles. I don‘t think it is the bad connection, cause I used glue on the inside and tape on the outside, i think the whole plastic element can start to vibrate and make noise…

Handles always rattle. If its studio use that shouldnt come through the mic but that would bother me either way. I replace them with scumback metals and drill out the rivits. Be careful not to damage a speaker doing it. I also have seen people shove cardboard in the gap of the handle and tolex. Other glue or caulk it. Try cardboard first.

George Dickens

Reaction score
Does this cab need this middle post that connects the baffle to the real panel?

Lengthen the postn by about an 1/8th of an inch or so to the back. You can adjust it longer the rattle is still present.
Use some foam rubber and gaffers tape is the cheapest quick way to see if it works.
If it does it will last for a long time
Make sure all the perimeter screws are seated good, solid, and evenly tight.

raketenmann

Reaction score
Does this cab need this middle post that connects the baffle to the real panel?
Yes, this post is necessary. With it back (and some piece of leather between the back and the post) the rattle is gone, except for some little from the handles. But this is audible on the mic, because I always mic the speaker about 20 - 30 cm away. This sounds best to me!

I would've loved to buy the Smuback handles, but since I live in Europe, this is just too complicated and expensive. I just bought very cheap ones over here, I will post if they fit without fine tuning...

raketenmann

Reaction score
Yes, this post is necessary. With it back (and some piece of leather between the back and the post) the rattle is gone, except for some little from the handles. But this is audible on the mic, because I always mic the speaker about 20 - 30 cm away. This sounds best to me!

I would've loved to buy the Smuback handles, but since I live in Europe, this is just too complicated and expensive. I just bought very cheap ones over here, I will post if they fit without fine tuning...

Just a quick update: the above linked handles for the marshall cab fitted my '77 1982 perfect, without any additional work, except for drilling out the rivets. All rattling is gone now - wow!

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
A rubber mallet or urethane faced hammer can be very useful for finding the source of rattles. Tap on things and you'll soon find what's loose and rattling.