Marshall 1974x Combo Sound..SV20 or Origin20 or Class5 Combo?

Gerd ka

Reaction score
Hello my marshall friends. Im looking for a combo with the sound like a 1974x Comb, but id like to have a smaller size. Which combo would you suggest me....the newer Marshall sv20 Combo or a Origin 20, or a Class 5 Combo. I dont need a heavy crunch? Just a little dirt and the rest with pedals. I like the sound of the 1974x but id like to have a smaller size of the amp. Thank you for you help...Best greetings from austria. Gerd

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im looking for a combo with the sound like a 1974x Comb, but id like to have a smaller size. Which combo would you suggest me....the newer Marshall sv20 Combo or a Origin 20, or a Class 5 Combo.
:welcome: to the forum.
I don't have any of the combos, but I have an Origin20H and a Class5H.
They sound completely different, and I'm not sure if either sounds like a 1974X.
I can't speak for the SV20 or the 1974x as I've never played either.
The Origin20 is a fantastic pedal platform with a lot of clean headroom, and will get some dirt on its own when cranked.
The Class5 has some clean tones at whisper volume, and just gets dirtier as you turn it up.

Last edited:

Gerd ka

Reaction score
Thank you for you answer.....I have most time the problem, that i am too loud on stage, and as you told me, the class 5 could be the amp i m searching for, because we have a real low stage volume and the amps are always miced but i will have a look at the origin20 too.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for you answer.....I have most time the problem, that i am too loud on stage, and as you told me, the class 5 could be the amp i m searching for, because we have a real low stage volume and the amps are always miced but i will have a look at the origin20 too.
:cheers:
:welcome:
To the forum
The SV 20 will be loud if you crank it,
The Origin 20 will be as well
I also as @fitz288 mentioned have no experience with the 1974X.
I am sure others will be along to give some intel.
Cheers

ken361

Reaction score
Combo is best if you like to play loud at home like me:)my 212 and the SV is crazy loud at 5 watts. Prb go to a 112 closed back i would like to try.

eastwood6

Reaction score
Have a 1974x, have a Class 5 head, and have owned a Class 5 combo.

The C5 combo would get you closest to the 1974x sound, mainly due to the simple pre-amp circuits and EL84 power tubes they share. They both get very crunchy very fast when you turn up the volume.

The 1974x doesn’t deliver the “traditional” Marshall grind, it has its own vibe. It’s a very straightforward, organic sounding amp. Not everyone’s thing, however. I think the C5 combo is most similar.

Hope that helps. And welcome to the forum!

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I agree with Eastwood, a Class 5 combo is smaller and EL84 powered like a 1974x. It should get you closer in tone that the other amps you listed.

I’ve owned a couple of 1974x’s and a Class 5 combo. I’ve learned that I prefer the tone of bigger bottle tube amps (KT66’s, EL34’s and 6L6’s) VS EL84’s.

If you want 1974x tone, you should be looking for an EL84 powered amp.

gregr

Reaction score
The Suhr Badger 18 is a very nice amp. EL84-driven with variable power scaling. I borrowed one for a short while. It’s really the only way you’re going to get any pronounced EL84 character at the volume level the OP uses.

I have a Jet City 20HV which is pretty cool. It’s low-to-mid gain; not to be confused with the 20H. Again, it needs to be played pretty loud to get the EL84s to give up the goods.

Can anyone comment on the Studio 15?

Last edited:

Gerd ka

Reaction score
I heard , that the Class 5 could be my way to go. I could read that there are 3 Versions of this amp. Am i right?

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I
I heard , that the Class 5 could be my way to go. I could read that there are 3 Versions of this amp. Am i right?

I owned the latest Class 5 version amp, a 2012 50th Anniversary combo. By then, the issues rattling cabs at volume were resolved. I know that there were fixes for the earlier models.

My 2012 C5 combo even had switch on the back of the amp, to take it from 5 watts, down to .1 watt. Loved the .1 watt mode and never should have sold my C5 (only sold it because I bought a 1974x).

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they were only made for 3 years (2010-2012).
I'm only aware of the combo and head/cab (C110).
The Class 5 gets grind tone with the volume anywhere past about 2 or 3 and gets angry with the volume past 5, maybe a little cleaner with single coils.
I think you should play an Origin if you can before deciding - and there's a 5 watt combo version of the Origin as well.

schwa

Reaction score
I don't have a 1974x, but have played them and do own a 2061x. When the Class 5 head came out I got one of the first ones. And was disappointed. It sounded like a Marshall, but not a very nice one.

When it comes to NMV Marshall tones at lower volumes - my favorite is the JTM1 from the 1 watt series.