Marshall 1960TV construction

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by jdm66, Aug 13, 2020.

1. jdm66

jdm66 New Member

I'm thinking of trading in my 412 Origin and move up to the TV cabinet. Does anyone have one of these? My concern is if they are still made from birch, as I read that only the front panel is ply,and the rest is MDF. If that is the case, I'll just keep my Origin and upgrade with greenbacks.

2. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

I entertained the thought of getting one for a top to my Hendrix bottom. I played through one several times at the store. I recall GB loaded. Sounded good and woofy.
    AT the time when these were introduced, I found out that these were an anomoly, and were never in production in the 60s, yet sports the title vintage tall cab. IOW marketing. It is a nice cab, just oversized a bit.

3. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

They were market for blues players. They're about 4 inches taller than the standard 1960 cabinet. Stock speaker type is G12M25 Greenbacks. I almost bought one.

The grille cloth on them was picked to tame the high frequencies. They're "warm souinding" cabinets, but nice. A bit more bass than usual.

I can't speak as to the internal construction materials but it's a good sounding cabinet and it was well made and looked really nice.