Marshall 1959rr

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by JacksonCharvelAddict, Jan 22, 2018.

1. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

Looking for some info about these amps. Anyone ever played one? I heard they are modded the same way that Randy had his modded. Surprisingly Megadeth used them for leads on the last couple albums. I was a little surprised by that. The only problem I see with it is the fact it doesn't seem to have a master volume. I hate my neighbors enough that I am willing to overlook that.

liontato likes this.
  2. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

You effectively have a master when you use the cascaded socket only.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  3. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Yep its loud. You won't get past 1.5 in a house without an attenuator.

But its a crappy sounding amp......I'm joking!

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  4. EL 34

EL 34 Well-Known Member

I have one and I love it. When using the cascade channel (2) there's no way to get near any crunch unless it's loud. You adjust vol 1 and 2 when using the RR channel but you can't dial in crunch or any dirt at low volumes like you can a jube, 800 or any MV.

I never used a regular 1959 but the RR is massive sounding. The headroom is so much bigger than my other 100W Marshalls (2203 and 2555).

I cranked all my amps for extended periods over the course of a year or so and I don't know if it's due to sheer SPL and it's effect on my earplugged ears but it seems like the 100W tube saturation makes all 100W Marshalls sound similar when the volume is 4+.

At lower volumes the plexis have far less compression and sound more raw and organic, dynamic. The sound seems to bounce our of the speakers with more force.

These statements are based on my non-use of any effects. Just straight in.

So don't expect it to be like a MV. You'd have to use effects to get crunch out of one at low volumes.

5. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

I think the Bugera 1960 Infinium has the RR Mod. SolarburnDSL50 has some experience and there is a Bugera guy in the forum who is quite helpful. It’s not a Marshall but I think they are $400 brand new and I’ve really not he’d anything bad about the Infinium amps. Just food for thought and not trying to get this off topic — Marshall RR

6. JacksonCharvelAddict

This thread is just to discuss the amp. Any comparisons to other amps are totally welcome. Thanks for the replies everyone.

7. JacksonCharvelAddict

I have noticed that as well. Marshall power amps with el34s definitely sound similar at high volumes. I believe the JVM was designed to keep the power amp clean but im no amp expert.

8. Marker

Marker Well-Known Member

I also have the SPL Reducer attenuiator and indeed the cranked Marshalls with high levels of attenuation (speaking levels) tend to sound similar.

JacksonCharvelAddict and jeffb like this.
  9. JacksonCharvelAddict

Does the attenuation exaggerate the compression to seem higher than it would normally be?

10. Marker

Marker Well-Known Member

I don't think so, the SPL Reducer is an all passive resistive attenuator; I think it's the filtering effect when it tames the highs due to the high level attenuator plus the speakers not pushing much air.
    Still the SPL Reducer attenuator is amazing, sounds great, keeps the tone intact for most part of the attenuation and keeps the amp feeling / punch.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.