Marshall 1959 vs Friedman BE100

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by crossroadsnyc, Nov 19, 2021.

1. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

The Metroplex is my lotto win/I inherited a $hitpile of dough amp. Maybe I am wrong, but I thought George discontinued the Superplex (because he was building a successor)?

2. Metroman

Metroman Well-Known Member

Theyre listed for sale on his site.

3. mantrasky

mantrasky Well-Known Member

I also wanted to show you my son's other amps Soldano Avenger (black face) and Soldano SP-77 preamp (Purple) through a Mesa 50-50 poweramp, Soldano SLO (black headshell) and Mesa Roadster, the rest are mine.
    The BE-100 is "The best sounding" of the bunch, just tears up the Marshall's and others.....
    [​IMG]

4. pittbull

pittbull Well-Known Member

Your BE was modified you said so it’s not stock

5. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

Who knows..he has not made any updates to yootoob in forever. Website doesn't look to have had any updates since before COVID hit.

"This very likely the last Super-Plex we will build. It's #065. 240V AC headed to England. I'm completely out of chassis and panels for these, so that's it."

V

6. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

thats you in the video?

7. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

Nah, that's George! (Metropolous)

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  8. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm, that demo didn't hook me in.

9. mantrasky

I bought the BE-100 new in 2015, I generally liked the original version but as I was playing it, I felt it was a little “to smooth” kind of like a sweet Neal Schon solo with Journey, (love his tone). I sent my Jose modified ‘75 Marshall Superlead to Dave as reference along with a few ideas, then Dave suggested many more options. I really wanted what I've experienced in a great Marshall Plexi also the flexibility in tone and response, to go Neal Schon Smooth, Lynch Aggressiveness to EVH Rawness (1st album etc.) It's a killer Amp with an Amazing Fender clean.....so “Yes it’s far from stock”.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  10. pittbull

Nice

mantrasky likes this.
  11. pittbull

I remember trying a BE it was a nice amp but it didn’t have the aggressiveness I like, last week I tried a Soldano SLO 100(2020) and it had the aggressiveness/rawness I liked,it was better then the Friedman BE

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    Ufoscorpion likes this.
  12. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

Yeah, I much prefer the Metroplex He's playing through cream alnicos here- I think his amps sound better with G12Ms and G12H

13. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

If any of you fellow’s hearing has been subjected to what mine have with loud amps and music for years and years plus lord knows what else (factory work for me, 26 years of it before I got into technical world), then they can’t be trusted lol.

I say this only partly joking, it’s a thing.

14. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

If it's just between this particular Marshall 1959 and this particular Friedman BE100, I'd take the BE100 with no regrets.

15. colchar

colchar Well-Known Member

I'm a big Orange fan and would choose one over a Friedman too.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  16. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Try a runt 50 , it’s BE channel is much more raw and aggressive than a on a BE 100 amp .

17. Metroman

November 12 2021

Happy Friday everyone.
    It seemed impossible not long ago, but we built three amps this week! Next week I'll get tubes and jolt these babies to life.
    I'm not sure what caused the surge, but I have 11 people on the build sheet for a Super-Plex. That amp is a sleeper.
    The output transformer remains a slow item, but I'd like to be building one of these every week.
    I'm almost out of the original pc boards for these amps and have been working on an updated layout. This includes a fully revamped switching circuit, Supa-Boost style boost circuit and eliminated mechanical relays (to kill pops when switching). I should wrap that up over the weekend.
    There are four names on the DVL-1 sheet right now. And, for the first time in forever......transformers are on the shelf!
    This all amounts to some light at the end of the tunnel. I'll stop short of grinning optimism, but it sure is nice to share some positive trends.
    Play loud.

LPMarshall hack, mantrasky and jeffb like this.
  18. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

Good, glad to see George is still making amps...seems like he's been hit hard by the supply issues.

Metroman likes this.
  19. Metroman

Im a member on his Facebook page, and keep up with him that way.

jeffb likes this.
  20. mantrasky

I do know what you mean, my son has been carrying the torch for his SLO (Original Version) and with his choices in preamp tubes his amp sounds Amazing! (preamp tubes make a big difference with the SLO).

My BE-100 after Dave modified it, though it took four trips to his shop (tweaking and trying this and that) totally smokes my '75 Marshall 100w SLP (Jose modified) and most of my other amps including Wizard MC-II.
    Dave has so much knowledge in amp building and I was fortunate he had the time to custom build to my specs. I'll always love the SLO (I've had three) but I do have a preference to EL34 voiced amps and my BE-100 just kills.....