>

Marshall 100 (left corner, 18inch greenback) 60's, WHAT IS IT?!

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Henri, May 31, 2012.

1. Henri

Henri New Member

IMG_3215.jpg

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3223.jpg

IMG_3226.jpg

Has anyone any Idea what this is? You can also mail me add: [email protected]

What year?, it has a 18 inch. what is the price of cabinets like this and is it rare? People told me it's 64' Cabinet.

2. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

I don't know what it is, but I have a hunch I know what it isn't: A Marshall.

I've never seen anything like that! The corners are wrong, the tolex looks wrong, the logo looks like it was borrowed from the old 4x12 cabs. The pencil guide marks look home made. Pity the wattage on the spaker was whittled out because I have a hunch it didn't say "100 watts". I hope one of the experts chimes in on this in case I'm wrong and it is indeed a Marshall. This is the 1988 1x18:

http://www.gbase.com/gear/marshall-model-1988-1x18-1968

That being said, it might be a great cabinet. The speaker alone should fetch some interest to the right person.

Ken

3. metromutt

metromutt Well-Known Member

That's a rare cab, the model is a 1988 bass cab.
    With the bluesbreaker cloth and angled black logo corner it's '66 onwards but a lot had goodmans speakers, can you see any code stamping on the celestion gasket (you'll have to take it out!).

Shame someone's used their pet beaver to nor those 2 holes!!! looks like 2 tweeters have been in there?

:)

4. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

1988's have side handles at some point and this one doesn't. How can you be sure it's not a "recreation"? SO much is wrong with that cabinet and speaker compared to the 1988 from the year 1968 in my link.

Ken

5. metromutt

metromutt Well-Known Member

You could be right Ken it could be cobbled together out of another cab but the early 1988's didn't have handles and they did have little silver stud caps on the sides but those had the coffin box logo and white grill cloth? The other thing that is missing is the gold piping channels now I've had a better look so yeah this could be a bit of a mutt but it's got some rare cloth and logos!
    Could so with some more pics showing construction.

6. janarn

janarn Well-Known Member

Looks like a 1988 cab from '66.
    Should have had leather handles on the right side on the front picture
    and six small metal gliders on the other side.

7. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's value here even though it's a bit of a bodged up cabinet. The OP should try to get WAY more pics of the interior in particular, and get the #'s off the speaker. It's a shame if that cabinet is original since it's so butchered...but it would still be worth more than a home made job. Seeing as a pristine version is being asked around $1800, spending $500 for a quality restoration is not out of line.

Ken

8. SWLABR

SWLABR New Member

+1 what Janarn said. Looks legit to me

9. george76

george76 Well-Known Member

it is definitely a marshall. pinstripe era, its going to be from 66-67 in my opinion. The way to check the date is to take the speaker out and see what the date code is on the front gasket.

good points are it has its original logos, pinstripe grill & white piping.

bad points are its been re-covered & metal corners added. non-original castors.

it is old & rare but not that valuable, sorry. hardly any demand at all for those 1x18 cabs. the parts have some value of course.

ken the 1x18 in your link is a slightly later metal handle & basketweave period cab. also gbase is a hive for crooks & lash-ups, not a good place to look for genuine examples of vintage gear. i would keep away from that place.

10. DrBonkers

DrBonkers New Member

Sorry for the Necro bump.

Does anyone have physical dimensions of the Model 1988 cab?

They seem to be more rare than hen's teeth, so I would like to try building one and see if that scratches the itch.

11. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

12. DrBonkers

DrBonkers New Member