Making an MG sound good?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by kharvelan, Sep 2, 2008.

1. kharvelan

kharvelan New Member

So, I have this MG cab which sounds just barely ok, kinda shrill, kinda light on tone, but, it spreads the sound out and works well with my 1922.

I do not want any larger cabs as I drive a honda civic, and a regular 4x12 or 1936 cab won't fit.

The funny thing is the MG and my head will fit in the back of my car, so I got to thinking about upgrading the speakers. Now I know the cabs made of plywood, and thats not so good, but I was wondering if anybody had tried throwing something like the hellatone speakers in a cab like that or something of that nature.

Would I need to reinforce the cab? Replace all the wiring? What would be a good mix of speakers? Would this be worth it in the end? Are there any other solutions out there for this type of problem?

Another idea I had to kind of fill out the tone would be to make a new back piece to the cab out of birch and tolex it so it had a little more resonance, Any ideas on how to tolex properly etc would be helpful as well.

2. Robertf

Robertf New Member

Hi:

I've got an MG 412A - It had the same shrill properties that you describe, especially when paired with my 1987x 50 watt head. I've replaced all the shit OEM speakers with Celestion G12M Greenbacks and I couldn't be happier. Nice 60's -70's tone. The cab fits easily into my trunk and is not too hard on the back.

Will it sound like a big cab? Probably not. Althogh the depth of the MG seems to be the similar to that of its larger siblings, the smaller overall size dimensions means that the MG isn't going to put out the same as a 1960A, no matter what you do to it.

As for the MDF vs plywood construction differences, you'd probably need very expensive sound analyzing gear coupled with a super-secret DOD computer program to tell you if there are real differences in sound between the two. In that respect, I think a lot of the percieved differences are in people's heads. Tone is so subjective that its really down to what sounds good to you and what you can afford.

That brings up your next question. Is it worth it to upgrade an MG cab? Only you can decide that . For me, since the MG cab is the size and weight I want to deal with, the added expense of new speakers and the resulting improvment was worth it. But I wouldn't go hog-wild with upgrades.

Consider that if great tone had been my only directive, then for the money I put into upgrading the MG, I could have bought a number of hi quality, full-size Marshall cabs off Craig's list.

In the end, after all your upgrades, you're still going to have an Asian-sourced, Marshall-badged cab loaded with speakers that are worth more than the cab itself.

Here's mine...
    [​IMG]
    Good luck with your tone quest.

Rob

3. kharvelan

kharvelan New Member

Thanks for the response, that is actually pretty much what I wanted to hear.
    I think I'm gonna go for it, probably put some hellatones in it and be done with it.

I'll keep the old speakers, maybe I can offload em for 50 bucks or something to offset the cost.