Made an "interesting" discovery tonight

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Ever since I got the JCM 2000 DSL 100 a few months ago, I've been running it across a Marshall 1960A (G12-T75's) and a Carvin 4x12 with Carvin speakers. A couple of months ago, I realized that the Carvin wasn't giving me any sound one day, and I found that the secondary speaker jack on the amp was loose from a cold solder joint. I re-soldered it and all was well.

Until today. The same thing started happening, and I could wiggle the speaker cable at the jack and it would come back to life. So I decided to re-solder it again. Nope. Two of the pins were actually broken off. I ordered a new jack that should be in next week.

But in the meantime, running just the Marshall cab in the 16-ohm jack, I made a discovery: it actually sounds noticeably BETTER with just the Marshall cab. Color me surprised. I would have never thought that. So I won't be running the Carvin cab anymore, and I also have no use for the X100B head, since the cleans on the Marshall are just as nice. What sucks is that the market is way down on the Carvin X100B right now, and the cabs are probably even worse. So I'll probably just keep it.

Sadly, I've now discovered that the 16-ohm input on the JCM is also cold-soldered, apparently. The sound will go dead until I wiggle the cable at the jack. I'm glad I ordered two jacks. Are cold-soldered speaker out jacks a known thing on the JCM 2000? Or am I just "lucky?" I'm also wondering if this might be the reason why this one was traded in to Guitar Center, because someone thought the amp was cutting out.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Did you try cleaning the jacks with contact cleaner like electrosolve or deoxit? With the amp unplugged, spray in the jack, on a cable end, and run the cable end in and out a dozen times while wiggling side to side, up and down, and all around then repeat.

Give it a half hour to dry and see if it worked.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Did you try cleaning the jacks with contact cleaner like electrosolve or deoxit? With the amp unplugged, spray in the jack, on a cable end, and run the cable end in and out a dozen times while wiggling side to side, up and down, and all around then repeat.

Give it a half hour to dry and see if it worked.
I haven't but I will now.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Nobody ever talked about the "sought after" Carvin speakers. The cabinet is decent, but the speakers are nothing worth writing home about.

Buy some GB reissues and replace the Carvin speakers with them. Then you can enjoy two cabinets that sound GOOD together.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Marshalls love Marshalls. You may have even jinxed yourself. :facepalm:

Just kidding. I hope you are up and running your cab my friend.
Thanks. I got some contact cleaner today and sprayed it, than waited about an hour. It did nothing whatsoever. So, I re-soldered the pins on the 16-ohm jack and that appears to have fixed the problem. While I was in there, I also took the solder sucker and cleaned the holes for the replacement 8-ohm jack (2 x 16-ohm parallel) when it comes in next week.

And seriously, I think you're right. I won't be running the Carvin cab again. If I'd had the foresight to order it with Celestions, it might be a different story.

Last edited:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Nobody ever talked about the "sought after" Carvin speakers. The cabinet is decent, but the speakers are nothing worth writing home about.

Buy some GB reissues and replace the Carvin speakers with them. Then you can enjoy two cabinets that sound GOOD together.
True. They go pretty cheap used.

This won't be a cheap venture, though, at $121.50 a pop. Comes to $486.00 plus taxes, more than the value of the cab.

I think I would rather just hold off and find a deal on another Marshall cab, preferably a 1960B straight-front this time. Plus, the Marshall will have much better trade value someday, regardless of the speakers.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Just buy Greenbacks one at a time until you've got four stashed aways, then change them all out at once. That way you don't notice the cost.

I've found that not many 1960 cabinets on the open market have either original or reissue Greenbacks in them. T75s are in most of them.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Just buy Greenbacks one at a time until you've got four stashed aways, then change them all out at once. That way you don't notice the cost.

I've found that not many 1960 cabinets on the open market have either original or reissue Greenbacks in them. T75s are in most of them.
I'm fine with the T-75's, actually, but I do want to try the Greenbacks someday to see what all the hubbub is about.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
They're must haves. My Greenback cabinets will be the ones I hold on to longest if I ever have to sell my gear.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for something I don't remember what.
Ever since I got the JCM 2000 DSL 100 a few months ago, I've been running it across a Marshall 1960A (G12-T75's) and a Carvin 4x12 with Carvin speakers. A couple of months ago, I realized that the Carvin wasn't giving me any sound one day, and I found that the secondary speaker jack on the amp was loose from a cold solder joint. I re-soldered it and all was well.

Until today. The same thing started happening, and I could wiggle the speaker cable at the jack and it would come back to life. So I decided to re-solder it again. Nope. Two of the pins were actually broken off. I ordered a new jack that should be in next week.

But in the meantime, running just the Marshall cab in the 16-ohm jack, I made a discovery: it actually sounds noticeably BETTER with just the Marshall cab. Color me surprised. I would have never thought that. So I won't be running the Carvin cab anymore, and I also have no use for the X100B head, since the cleans on the Marshall are just as nice. What sucks is that the market is way down on the Carvin X100B right now, and the cabs are probably even worse. So I'll probably just keep it.

Sadly, I've now discovered that the 16-ohm input on the JCM is also cold-soldered, apparently. The sound will go dead until I wiggle the cable at the jack. I'm glad I ordered two jacks. Are cold-soldered speaker out jacks a known thing on the JCM 2000? Or am I just "lucky?" I'm also wondering if this might be the reason why this one was traded in to Guitar Center, because someone thought the amp was cutting out.
The 4 & 8 ohm outputs on a JCM2000 DSL head are a known issue. The earth fails it leaves your amp with no load, blowing your O/T. The quick and very effective fix was to solder a jumper lead from the 4 & 8 ohm earths to the 16ohm output earth, which did not have the failing earth issue.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
The 4 & 8 ohm outputs on a JCM2000 DSL head are a known issue. The earth fails it leaves your amp with no load, blowing your O/T. The quick and very effective fix was to solder a jumper lead from the 4 & 8 ohm earths to the 16ohm output earth, which did not have the failing earth issue.
Interesting. I'll take a look when the replacement jack arrives.

Thanks.

David Rivers

Reaction score

either way..weather u got a good deal at gc..it's certainly fixable and if it's only the 2 jacks to replace,..although u should to be able to run the two different cabs ..hence the marshall stack..you may have an issue with the caravan wiring inside

PowerTube44

Reaction score
either way..weather u got a good deal at gc..it's certainly fixable and if it's only the 2 jacks to replace,..although u should to be able to run the two different cabs ..hence the marshall stack..you may have an issue with the caravan wiring inside
I shouldn't need to replace the 16-ohm jack. I re-soldered it last night, then played for about an hour and all was well (knock on wood). I did order two jacks, though, just in case. The 8-ohm jack actually has two pins broken off. I would love to know the story on that one.

LeftyGtrPlr

Reaction score
I'm fine with the T-75's, actually, but I do want to try the Greenbacks someday to see what all the hubbub is about.
I may be in the minority, but I like the G12-T75's also. I have one cab with all four G12-T75's and one with two G12-T75's and two Marshall Vintage. Love them both!

Latest posts