>

Lynch Mod Tube Module for Marshall Amps

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by crossroadsnyc, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Txdslguy

Txdslguy Member

10 4

2. David Szabados

David Szabados Member Platinum Supporting Member

The HMV2 Evo has slightly more bass cut then the Lynch Mod as well as being $100 less :)

The standard wired model will work both in the 1959HW as well as the SC heads.

It will be a different type of effect than hitting the front end with the pedal since we are layering a gain stage on V2 and not pushing all sections. So it will add gain but still be articulate. Both ways are good however - just different flavors of tones and gain.

3. David Szabados

I just had the folks at Marshall go through the Origin and it doesn’t work in stock configuration. I have no clue in the modded version of the circuit but. It’s not just the circuit concern, but also the power supply and other elements. In the stock origin, my Marshall contact told me it gave off a synth type noise effect and definitely is not compatible.

4. Txdslguy

Txdslguy Member

10-4. Maybe @burger could help.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  5. burger

burger Active Member

In my mod V2 is wired backwards as compared to a 2203/2204 Marshall. This is because I am repurposing the cathode follower that was being used to drive the FX send (V2a) as a CF to drive the tone stack.

David Szabados likes this.
  6. David Szabados

So it seems possible that the reverse wire version of the Hot Mod V2 Evo might work with your modded amp version. Because that’s exactly the configuration the HMV2E needs to “see” in order to make a connection. So you are driving the tone stack off of pin 2 rather than pin 7?

7. burger

burger Active Member

Yes. Remember V2a is a cathode follower for the FX loop, so I'm reusing it to drive the tone stack instead - after the signal get's through V2b.

David Szabados likes this.
  8. Chrome

Chrome Firebird Freak Gold Supporting Member

I really like the lunch mod video, I could see it working well on my JMP (1987) but not sure I would need it on my JMP(2204) I just bought it and waiting on its arrival. The whole reason I got the 2204 is I know with the cascaded preamp I will have more gain. I play most southern rock so I am on the fence with needing more gain.

9. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ______. sṓzō .______ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

I'd like to hear it loaded with 12AU7's.

Lemme guess: $299.99?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  10. David Szabados

$199 for the HMV2E, $299 for hand wired Lynch. I had one person who chose to use 12AU7s and liked it, but most others like 12AX7s as it’s tuned for that.

11. Vinsanitizer

I was joking. Lo gain tubes in a high gain device.

12. David Szabados

You’d think but no joke I have a customer that went with that configuration! Go figure, but I guess we all have different taste I suppose :)

13. Vinsanitizer

If it weren't for stupid customers (with delicious credit cards) there'd be no businesses.