Looking for marshall amp

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Blaoskaak, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Member

Hi everyone,

I have a boss katana mk2, but I'm looking for an amplifier to get some more of the sound of deep purple. I know they used a marshall amplifier and that's why it seems logical to me that if I want to get the sound of deep purple, I will have to buy a marshall amplifier as well. Now I have seen some amps myself.

Marshall original c50
    Marshall code 50

The c50 is a tube amp and I think that's best. Marshall code has a tone library, maybe i can find the good tone in there.

Or do you have any other tips?

Thank you in advance!

2. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I assume you mean the Marshall Origin 50C.
    The Origin amps really need to be played (very) loud to get the kind of break up needed for a Deep Purple tone.

And welcome to the MF @Blaoskaak :welcome:

jeffb, scozz, Exotic and 2 others like this.
  3. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Active Member

4. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Active Member

If gods exist, Blackmore is certainly one. Also, he used a treble booster, and often he would plug into a mono portable cassette recorder, and then out of it into his amp. He did this to record himself when he played live, and found that it acted as a preamp. I used to do the same thing back in the 70s, (aux in and line out) setting it to record and setting the volume wheel on 10 - not to record myself but to try to get Blacmore's tone and timbre.

Exotic and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  5. nickfox

nickfox Well-Known Member

:welcome: to the forum @Blaoskaak. One thing that will help people here in determining the "best" amp for you is knowing how loud you plan on playing.

I have the 50W katana which is a killer amp but as good as it is, it doesn't hold a candle to my Marshalls.

n

6. Blokkadeleider

Blokkadeleider Well-Known Member

I don't know about the Origin.
    A code 50 is nice for the living room. It will not do a proper Blackmore tone.
    Really... you'd need a Marshall Major for that and that is a damn loud beast.

btw, your nickname and especially the spelling... woar kom ie vort?

Gr,

Gerrit.

Exotic likes this.
  7. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Member

Wow, don't expect to get so many reactions! Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I did mean origin. Don't play very hard. Right now I'm playing downstairs in the living room and then I can't play it loud. I'm going to insulate my attic well in the future, but that won't help me at the moment.

He's definitely coming close to a God! Can't get enough of his guitar work and he's also the reason I started playing guitar.

I've already bought a booster, I haven't received the booster yet

I also wired my strat like ritchie's. Only I don't have any quarterpounders in it. (Not yet)

Thanks you!

At the moment I don't play very loud, but sometimes I turn up the volume. I find my katana superfluous. Don't use live sets or anything like that. Just don't like the sound either. I already read that a tube amp sounds warmer and I think it's a step in the right direction.

Exotic and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  8. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Member

Hi, thank You for your message .I'm from Holland. I Live in Brabant. You're also a from holland by the looks of it. Haha.

The code 50 isnt a tube amp right?

9. Blokkadeleider

Blokkadeleider Well-Known Member

Ah ok, I'm from Hengelo. So not Holland ;)
    Nah. the code 50 isn't a tube amp.
    But to get the tone, also check IOSEPHVS' post.
    And don't forget that presence is turned back completely on the amp. Mr. Blackmore apparently doesn't like that.

Gr,

Gerrit.

Blaoskaak and Exotic like this.
  10. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

ok I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that neither the Origin or the Code will give you what you want. And I'm not familiar with Blackmore's tone BUT I will suggest you look into and demo the Marshall DSL20CR. It is also a made in Vietnam amp and therefore very reasonably priced. It has a very good rep here. I will hesitate to say a much better value and sound offering than either the Origin or Code ( forget the Code). :2c:
    Other more experienced players will let you know if it can get you into Blackmore territory.
    BP

scozz, Exotic, nickfox and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

You can get a decent ballpark with some of the Marshall tube Master Volume amps but of course will not cop his tones without a stack amd crazy volume.
    I woild say start trying out a variety of Marshall thbe amps, DSL, maybe Studio series SC or SV with an attenuator, VM, etc.

12. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

:welcome: To the forum
    You can get a very close representation of Blackmore with the Origin, but it would be very loud, the Dsl20 H will get you there (closely) at a much more reasonable volume, as would the Dsl40cr’s, play as many as you can, and let your ears tell you what one suits you the best.
    I have only mentioned the lower dollar scale amps. But the studio amps mentioned above are both positive amps to replicate Blackmore’s tone.:cheers:
    Mitch

scozz, Exotic, FracStrat and 2 others like this.
  13. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

get one of these

IMG_2765 (Mobile).JPG

14. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

15. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Deep Purple? OK, then that points you toward the vintage Marshall tonal category. Blackmore was known for playing Majors and Superleads. Boosted ones, quite often, via the tape loop trick as previously described.

I know someone who owns a Major that was formerly one of Blackmore's amps. Documented.

So...I'm suggesting a Marshall Studio Vintage (SV) series amp for you. It'll be in the right tonal category. An SV20 should be on your short list to find and try.

You could go all out and pick up a vintage Super Lead or Major, but that's going to cost you 2 grand and more. And hoo boy, are they ever LOUD!

The 20 watt SV20 is still loud but not quite so insane.

16. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

Hey, man...
    If you don't play it lout, just be careful with the amp you will get. In general Marshall are great, but the best of it comes with the loud volume. Did you ever consider other brands?

17. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Member

Thank you all for your messages and advice!

I've seen the DSL come by several times, I'm gonna look into this. I have also seen several video's on youtube and the amplifier sounds very good indeed!.It's also in my price range.

The SV20 sound very good too, but unfortunately very expensive.

No, I didn't. I thought if I wanted to get towards the sound of blackmore, I'd always end up with a marshall.
    Do you have a good experience with another amplifier?

18. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Member

I can get a dsl40c Limited edition vintage look for 400 euro's. I read on the internet that CR does better at low volumes. Is that right?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    SkyMonkey likes this.
  19. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Between the 2 channels and 4 voices of the DSL40CR I can get pretty much get any tone at low volumes.
    Maybe not totally authentic, but far better than a modelling amp (IMO).
    You may miss the onboard effects of the Katana though, and the 40CR reverb is somewhat weak.
    I use a multi effect unit in 4CM to add upfront ODs and in-the-loop Time Based Effects.
    The multi effect has MIDI, so I can switch through all the channel modes.

20. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Member

Thank you for your message. I never used the effects on katana anyway. It has too many functions for me.

Are you more likely to recommend the CR as the C? I can get a DSL40C Limited edition vintage look for $450. The CR is better for low volumes, right? Or am I not going to notice the difference?

SkyMonkey likes this.