Looking For Darker Sounding Strat Pickups.

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by The Grim Peeper, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Guitarpsycho

Guitarpsycho New Member

Lindi fralin blues special are beefier and darker. Also, Dunkin Quarter Pounder.

Also, a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster pedal can beef up your strat by altering the tone and making the single coils sound like humbuckers.

2. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

i'm the other way, I love thin high in treble sounding single coils , I have 2 strats , one with texas specials and one with 78 level coil (very bright and thin) , 2 very different sounding strats

how does it work with the output no's- is it lower no's higher treble,

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  3. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    My '99 USA standard has great factory pickups. Never heard better and I've heard most.
    Why not get a replacement scratchplate with a completely different set in it? I have a partscaster with a SD Hotrails in the neck, a 1977 Fender middle and a SD JB in the bridge. The bridge coil taps with a push pull pot in the bottom tone control and the top one combines the neck and the bridge. There are so many tones in this Strat it's ridiculous. It will do Hank, Knopfler, Gilmour, Hendrix, Blackmore & EVH all with pickup switching combinations.

4. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

While they seem to fall into the love vs. hate category of Strat-Pup discussions for some reason, I've always been very pleased with the Vintage Noiseless pups from Fender (the ones used in the Eric Clapton sigs). The top end is a bit rolled off (which is one of the complaints from those looking for a purely vintage tone), but it sounds like that might be what you're looking for. I've used them for everything from soft Jazz to 70's / 80's metal. They sound terrific and are dead quiet.

5. grainman

grainman Well-Known Member

you may wanna try the alnico2 american vintage 56..they are phat man...dont rely on you tube clips..go try a set in store...its the best pick ups i found till long time...no joke

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  6. liontato

liontato Well-Known Member

There are 5 billion different choices for strat pickups. Good luck. Alnico 5 is bright. Most are alnico 5. Try something with alnico 2. SD is probably where you should look.

grainman likes this.
  7. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Mosrite pickups are thick and dark

8. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

OP, know what you mean. Thinking out of the box on this, have you considered wiring the bridge pick up with the tone knob? You willl certainly be able to warm up and tame the tones from that p/u.

I put a hot rail in my first strat....Fender Standard Strat (MIM) circa 1997...... very humbuckerish in a single coil pkg. I took that out around 2011 and replaced with a prewired EMG pickguard loaded (GC21-SA) with active EMG single coils. I really like that but it requires a battery. The 9v fit under the pickguard. Kinda a pain in the ass but I’ve replaced the battery very infrequently over the years. There are actually several attractive choices by EMG.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  9. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have the Custom Shop Fat 50's in mine and it does not sound overly bright to me at all.