Looking at Telecaster models

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Marshall Stack, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

I have been wanting to get a proper Telecaster (I have a Squire Tele that i modified). I have been looking at the 75th anniversary and the Ultra model. Anyone compare the two? Any other model to consider?

2. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

Sorry I don't have either, but I'm interested in any responses, and if you get either one.
    I got the Page Dragon MIM because they had one at my local GC when I was dumping some gear, and I do impulsive things.
    They both look awesome, different neck specs for shape & radius - do you have a preference?
    I'd probably go with the ultra because I prefer rosewood.
    Any way you can try them without the buy both & return one option?

C-Grin, BlueX and StrummerJoe like this.
  3. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Get a Esquire, One Mic and one volume knob is all you need :)

2020-03-21 20-15-28.jpg

Eric'45, Sapient, scozz and 6 others like this.
  4. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

If I were in the market for a new Tele today, I'd be looking for an American Original 50's Telecaster. Similar pricing to the American 75th & Ultra.

The AO has vintage specs except fretborad radius, which is 9.5", and is finished in nitro and also has Fender Pure Vintage p/u's. Non-compensated three barrel brass intonators.

The 75th is finished in urethane, has a 9.5" radius fretboard, and Custom Shop Twisted Tele p/u's. Compensated three bass barrel intonaters.

The Ultra has a 10" - 14" compound radius fretboard, Ultra Noiseless p/u's, and has the S-1 switch to go between series or parallel with the p/u's. Six saddle bridge.

There is also the Ultra Luxe for a couple hundred bucks more that comes with stainless steel frets and a D shaped neck compared to the C shape of the Ultra.

The AO series also comes in a 60's model (semi-hollow and solid) and a 70's model (semi-hollow)

For my money I'd be going for the AO 50's and then putting on compensated brass barrel intonators, but that's me...YMMV

I am also falmiliar with a 10" - 14" radius. That's the same radius as on my Suhr Classic S and facilitates easy riffing, soloing, and bending. Also has SS frets which are super slick and a joy to play on.

Nothing wrong with the 9.5" radius either. That's what's on my '54 thinskin and I love that guitar.

Good luck & looking forward to your NGD!

5. Sapient

Sapient   Gold Supporting Member

:drool:

StrummerJoe and tce63 like this.
  6. Marshall Stack

I never played a Tele except for my Squier. I was never a Tele guy but someone recommended it to me when i was traveling because it fits in the overhead. I got the cheapest one in case it got stolen. I ended up liking it so i upgraded it all the components.

I have a George Benson and a Strat Plus but I have been using the Tele more for recording because I like the sound and feel. The only downside is the fretboard is narrow so it is not easy playing clean arpeggios. I was thinking MIM but now that the Tele is my go to guitar i decided on a higher quality. There are so many variants and I have been watching online videos.

The Ultra with the noise less sounded great but some of the other features that the model has doesn't matter to me. Locking tuners would be nice but that model doesn't have it.

The anniversary many become collectable and that is why i considered that one. I don't know much about the Twisted Tele pickups but in away the neck sounds like a Strat. I already have a Stray so I don't want that. I put Seymour Duncan Alnico II pickups in my Squier since I found used ones cheap. I really like the sound of them.

7. Marshall Stack

What in particular makes you like the AO? In open to it..

8. StrummerJoe

The more vintage aspect with the more convenient 9.5" radius.

I've heard the p/u's too. They're really good.

9. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

10. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I would look at either Schecter or Suhr, both are outstanding. I did a similar thing looking for a Strat. By far those two were much nicer and I settled on the Schecter Nick Johnson Strat.

11. StrummerJoe

Comparing a Suhr to a production, heck - even Custom Shop Fender, isn't a fair comparison.

Did you get the USA Nick Johnston? They are really nice. So are the imports though, and a lot more affordable.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  12. StrummerJoe

You tell 'em Rick! :flex:

fitz288 and ricksdisconnected like this.
  13. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

ya gotta zoom in bro.

fitz288 and StrummerJoe like this.
  14. Marshall Stack

Sure, makes r the decision even harder. Lol.

Do you have a Suhr?

15. StrummerJoe

I do. It exceeds any CS I have ever had my hands on. suhr4.jpg suhr2.jpg suhr6.jpg suhr.jpg suhr3.jpg

This is a 2020 Suhr Classic S Metallic LTD I got last December. Got it for less than the Sweetwater Fender Custom Shop GT11 I sold to finance this guitar. Workmanship is flawless. The SS frets will outlast me (I'm 49), the p/u's are great (for me), the Gotoh 510 trem is extremely smooth and in combination with the Suhr branded staggered locking tuners reamains in tune remarkably well - I'm a huge EVH & Jeff Beck fan, so that is saying something. That bevel on the back of the lower horn makes it a breaze to play in the higher frets.

16. StrummerJoe

Here is the GT11 I sold to finance the Suhr. Some thought I was nuts, but I am very pleased and don't regret it one bit.

strat5.jpg strat6.jpg strat4.jpg strat8.jpg strat10.jpg strat9.jpg

Don't get me wrong, this is a world class guitar, and the CS "Sweet 69's" pickups in it were killer. Still think the Suhr is a step up. So is Tom Anderson and Grosh IMHO.

You only live once.

17. StrummerJoe

Still nothing wrong with the models you've been looking at. Great guitars.

BTW, Suhr guitars come with their passive silent single coils system, SSCII, that really works. My single coils are actually quiter than the HB in the guitar! A Suhr T would be a lifer guitar.

Hope that makes everything easier for you. :D

EDIT : The Ultra LUXE models is Fender's response to Suhr. John Suhr used to be a Master Luthier in the Fender CS. Take a look at the bevels on the backside of the Luxe models and then compare to Suhr & Anderson who have both been doing it for years...and then add in the SS frets. FINALLY Fender listened on that one! Now if they'd start using SS on at least the American Standards. The Luxe are the only production models I know of with SS frets...the only other guitars they offer it on as an option are CS.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  18. Wezie Guitar lover

Wezie Guitar lover Well-Known Member

I love this one that was on Reverb. Home made. But get a Godin. They are cheaper than a Fender and better quality. And The Custom 77 boutique in yellow used you will love it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. StrummerJoe

That last one reminds me of Wall Walla Guitars. They make some crazy high end T & S style guitars.

wallawalla.jpg wallawalla2.jpg

Products – Walla Walla Guitar Company (wallawallaguitars.com)

(and the rabbit hole gets deeper heh heh heh)

20. Wezie Guitar lover

Wezie Guitar lover Well-Known Member

StrummerJoe likes this.