Long scratches on G12C's. Strange.

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by What?, Sep 17, 2020 at 1:46 AM.

1. What?

What? Well-Known Member

There are lots of pics out there of used G12C's. Something interesting to take notice of is that lots of them have a single long scratch across the back. I can't say that I have ever seen such a common thing with any other particular speaker model. Maybe those Vintage Modern cabs came with a little gremlin inside who likes to key speakers?

g12c_scratch.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020 at 1:56 AM
  2. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Its a long shot, but these speakers were assembled in China (unlike the ones from the JH reissue, you can distinguish by the tabs), and maybe the guy that unpacked them to mount the speakers inside the boxes in UK went a bit wild with the cutter knife during unboxing?

I can't think of another explanation, also because its really in the middle

3. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

Yeah looks like a factory worker slashing open speaker boxes with a stanley knife.

FogDweller, junk notes and jeffb like this.
  4. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

I see Johan has finally done some videos with these speakers, nice for them to finally get some recognition.

5. StingRay85

6. StingRay85

Those are mine, at least now they are still. Some marks are noticeable but not that bad. Also notice the difference between vintage modern purple and vintage 1970 purple.

20200917_144327_copy_1032x774.jpg

FogDweller and GIBSON67 like this.
  7. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

I do not recall any issue with my 1982JH. There was another cab after the Hendrix series of 900 units (600 U.S. - 300 worldwide.) The 425's? What ever was left was put in these cabs. These cabs continued with the G12c's but were a different speaker by then.
    The "C" was a collaboration with Marshall and Celestion as they were unsure what J.H. actually used in his big bottoms.

(...but early heavies used them too. Clapton, Page, Beck, Blackmore, Gilmour - how could they not know? And why are they 25's when the Pulsonic's were 20w 15Ω?

With a Plexi these speakers sound very similar to the 75Hz M's Müeller cones with slight more highs or upper mids.)

8. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

Not many people seem to know about those early speakers. I would love to see Celestion make a reissue of the 25w G12H with the white former and doping on the back of the cone. Although I'm not sure the demand would be very strong, mostly vintage amp enthusiasts that would want them.

junk notes likes this.
  9. What?

What? Well-Known Member

That sounds like a plausible explanation. Not as fun as gremlins. But more plausible.

10. Adey1981

Adey1981 Member

They wanted to Kinks tone but didnt quit understand the method :p

What? likes this.