List the crazy music-related things you thought as a kid!

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in the Eighties, playing in one of my bands, I had more than one person express utter shock when I told them I can't read music.

"But...but how can you play all that stuff if you can't read music?!?!"

I believe this fallacy is more common than you might think. I'm sure a lot of well-meaning, but ignorant parents demand that their kid be taught to read music first thing when they send them for guitar lessons. In fact, I've known people who had taken those types of lessons for years and could barely play a lick.
I'd gotten the raised eyebrow thing a handful of times from other guitar players. I just showed 'em the hotness of my tasty licks and that shut 'em up. LOL! - YOU's go read music, while I play some Rock n Roll. :D

Vinsanitizer

VIP Member
Reaction score
Whos Doom??

EVERYBODY COME OVER HERE AND CHECK THIS OUT -
MarshallDog SAYS HE DOESN'T KNOW WHO DOOM IS.
:rofl: :rofl: :wtf:

iu

:nutkick:

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

VIP Member
Reaction score
I was 14 when I started playing and going to music stores. I saw things like distortion boxes that said stuff like "real tube tone", etc. I thought, "what kind of tube? Cardboard or something?". I had no clue about vacuum tubes and what "tube tone" was.

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
I hate to admit this, but I used to think that solid state was better than tubes..I'm embarrassed. :erk:

In my defense, it was the 60's, and I was very young, too young to know better..:nono:
When I was 14 and got my guitar and amp, they showed me a Siverface Champ. My dad who was a radar tech in the Air Force and built TV (Heathkit) said solid state is better so I got a crappy Sunn amp. My neighbor then told me that we screwed up. Lol

DaDoc

Reaction score
When I was a teenager, I thought Roger Waters was cool. I didn't realize that he is an angry little girl with a potty mouth.

I used to think that too, but I think he kinda went around the bend when he got rich and older..Like I said, maybe Syd gave him some of the stuff he fried himself with, but it was a delayed reaction?

DaDoc

Reaction score
When I was 14 and got my guitar and amp, they showed me a Siverface Champ. My dad who was a radar tech in the Air Force and built TV (Heathkit) said solid state is better so I got a crappy Sunn amp. My neighbor then told me that we screwed up. Lol

Yup. My dad was an electrician, and a firm believer in solid state as the way of the future..Probably where I got that from.

Vinsanitizer

VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate to admit this, but I used to think that solid state was better than tubes..I'm embarrassed. :erk:

In my defense, it was the 60's, and I was very young, too young to know better..:nono:
Well you're partly there. Solid state sounds better than modelling.
Music Man got it right in the 1970's: solid state preamp, TUBE output. Why teh heck manufacturers keep getting this backward is beyond teh fathomables.

Last edited: