List the crazy music-related things you thought as a kid!

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I hope this hasn't already been done. List the crazy things you misunderstood as a kid about music, guitars, amps, just anything in the musical universe.

I'll start:

1. I thought that when someone "wrote a song," they actually drew out those notation lines and drew the little musical notations on them.

2. Whenever I would see a band performing "live" on a TV show, I was amazed that they never made a mistake in their playing, not realizing that they were actually lip-syncing.

3. I thought you could go and buy a stock Marshall and it would sound like what you hear onstage or on the radio.

4. I thought all electric guitars sounded the same. Apparently, so do a lot of people to this day.

playloud

Reaction score
1. I thought that when someone "wrote a song," they actually drew out those notation lines and drew the little musical notations on them..

When I was a teenager, I asked Steve Vai if he wrote out his guitar solos, note-for-note. His answer: "no way!"

When I was 7 or 8, my friend told me that "heavy metal" was so-called because one of the musicians held an angle-grinder against metal bars.

When I was 10 or so, a teacher played us the SRV version of "Mary had a little lamb" in music class. I have this distinct memory of it sounding like heavy, raucous, distorted rock music, which doesn't hold up at all - perhaps you develop a tolerance over time? Anyway, I thought this nursery rhyme/"hard rock" mashup was so funny I collapsed on the floor laughing and was asked to sit in the corner for disrupting the class....

Sapient

 
Reaction score
When I was a kid I wrote a letter to Angus telling him and the band what awesome "Riffsters" they were.

I think I found it laying under my bed one day.

--

My buddy who started me on the guitar said that anything past the 12th fret was legal to play at any time. He was pretty new too. Lol

--

I used to think they would run pedals almost to keep the amp and systems running. I thought they were turned on an off to regulate things in the amp.

--

I used to think a little band was inside radios.

--

Kinda off topic ...I used to think people that died in TV shows gave their lives for the roll.

--

I used to think Ace was actually from outer space.

--

I used to search and search for the way to rewind the 8 track.

Trelwheen

Made With Real Bacon
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was small I couldn't understand all the words in songs, and I thought that there were a lot of words that were made up just for specific songs:
"Youuuuuuuu are my inceptual encyclacy....
Today is a nupatally toe....."

I thought the more pickups a guitar had on it the louder it was.

I thought when guitarists in heavy rock bands played solos, they just played a bunch of random unrelated notes. This would have been back when most rock guitar players just played pentatonic scales over just about anything, so I wasn't really too far off the mark.

I couldn't understand why everybody was so excited about '60s pop music, because most of them sang and played terribly out of tune. I was being classically trained in music the whole time I was growing up, so I kind of had inflexible ideas about music til I was maybe 11 or 12. And bands who had really long hair literally scared me. They all looked like murderous drug fiends to me...

Edit to add: It turns out they were just drug fiends^

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
I've had some funny goofs "guessing" lyrics, but nothing too extravagant, I think. I did, for years, however think that Dave's 'high voice' bit in Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here was a synth. I was shocked to find out he (or anybody) could sing like that.

Before I learned about open tunings, I always thought it was 'odd' to perhaps even 'silly' that a guitar in standard EADGBe tuning wasn't a 'real' chord when played open.

When first learning the basics of a guitar, I thought it was silly to have identical notes in multiple places on the fretboard. After all, that's just confusing... :scratch:

pedecamp

Reaction score
I must not have been a deep thinker as a kid, I just turned on the radio and liked the energy of the music and no other thoughts, lots of air guitar and two finger drumming on the back of the front seat of the car which my mom hated while she was driving, "stop banging on the seat!". :shred:

middy

Reaction score
CNN be a good start. :yesway:

(of course they don't play dead. it's just a pleasant thought.)
Is it all cool and rock and roll to be dropping hints that one is a conservative all of a sudden?
“Thank you, you’re a great crowd! Our next song is called ‘Blame the Poor’!”

Vinsanitizer

You are awesome.
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
That Steve Perry had throat cancer.

(It was a rumor obviously.)

Last edited: