Line 6 Spider 3 VS a Fender Mustang 3? Which to purchase?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by JCGdes, Sep 26, 2020.

1. JCGdes

JCGdes New Member

While I am working on my marshal amps and repairing them, i need a cheap replacement to get me by.

I found a Line 6 Spider III 30W Mono 1x12 for a 100 dollars, the guy says he bought it years ago for a friend and has leess than 10 hours of play time.

Also Found a Fender Mustang 3 excellent condition. 100 Watts, 12 inch Celestion G12T-100 speaker, Includes 2 button footswitch. Asking 175.00 dollars.

They are both equal distance away from me about a 45 minute drive.

I am just curious, what do you guys think is the better amp/deal?

And Is there anything i should be aware of... or look out for with either model, when i go to pick it up and test it out?. like any sort of common problems i should be aware of? I realize they are both solid state, and well my two solid state marshals just died on me a few days ago, so Only thing i can think of is playing for a good 5 minutes with some over half way loud volume to make sure nothing is over heating or going into protective mode or blowing the speaker lol.

I will also be using a zoom G5N multi effects on which ever amp i decide on if that matters. And i know the Fender has an effects loop so that's a bonus.

Any thoughts?

2. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

I think you'd be better off tracking down a used CODE or MG.

3. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Neither.

Line 6 is on Gen V mkII (so basically gen 6) and the small new one costs $129 NEW.

So that is an eye-wateringly bad price on an ancient, outdated modeler.

Also.... buy a used Peavey Vypyr VIP instead.

4. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

Out of those two definitely the Fender. Someone over at TGP is selling a Boss Katana II head for $275 if you can swing that.

5. shooto

shooto Well-Known Member

I have a mustang III ver 2 that does a much better job sounding real than any other cheap modeling amp ive tried