life is odd sometimes.

jeffb

Reaction score
Indeed it is (odd), And I'm sorry to hear this about your co-worker, but don't beat yourself up about it- it's not fair to yourself.

Your post made me think of someone I have not thought of in awhile- the opposite type of co-worker.

I used to work at a Healthcare Insurance company back in the early 2Ks, and we had this guy. Nicest Guy in the world. He was very religious and involved with his Church, was going through whatever to be a minister and he had an AMAZING voice. And he sang all the time at work. You always knew he was coming. He'd walk into the Men's room and really start belting something out. Usually Gospel, but sometimes old Motown. He was in his late 20s, maybe early 30s. Couldn't help but love the guy, even though management would get frustrated with him walking down the halls singing and ask him politely to tone it down. He was always please and thank you, and respectful as he could be.

He had married this woman he met at his church who had a couple kids from a previous (abusive) relationship. 2 young girls, and he may have even adopted them, IDR. He was always talking about these girls and his wife and all the things they did and he loved those 2 little girls like his own but would always joke about needing some more testosterone in the house. And finally, his wife got pregnant and he had his own first child coming and they found out it was a boy. Man, the singing really increased. He was ecstatic, and every time he walked by my desk he would stop and talk to me, because my son was little at the time and I had brought him to the office here and there and this guy would always ask what it was like having a boy, and what kind of "guy stuff" we did and whatnot...Sports, Star Wars, Superheroes, etc.

So one day he's not singing all that much and looks a bit under the weather and he stops by my desk on his way out and is talking to me about my Son, and I notice he's obviously not feeling well, and a bit sweaty on his forehead and face. He brushes it off as a cold, and asked me something else about having a boy and I cannot recall what he asked me or what I said, but he said to me "I really have a lot to look forward to Jeff, don't I?" and I told him "Sure as hell do!" ...and then I apologized out of respect, but he laughed at me. He walked out of the office and left for the day. I came home that night and told my Son's Mom what he had said, and how I agreed with him, etc. IIRC his wife was about 7 or 8 months along.

First thing next morning, Management asks us all into the lunch/break area- all 120-ish of us. We thought it was layoffs as we had been through them before. Our VP steps up to the microphone and starts to cry a bit as she speaks- and she was a rock and as unemotional as they come. I couldn't fathom WTF was going on. And then she gets it together and tells us that this wonderful gentle soul of a Man passed away. He had viral meningitis which is deadly if not treated quickly, and apparently after he got home told his wife he was starting to feel pretty bad, collapsed while waiting for the ambulance and died later at the hospital. As VM is very contagious, they made available time for all of us to go get vaccinations/medication to help. Of course I was really shook, as I was a foot away from him and the last person at work to see him/talk to him. But moreso, I was just gutted.

I cannot tell you how many times over the years I have replayed that last scene in my head with him looking me right in the eyeswith that big smile and saying " I really have a lot to look forward to Jeff, don't I?". I felt guilty about it for a long time, like somehow I was at fault because I got to experience all the great stuff with my Son.

So yeah..try to be good to each other as often as you can. You never know. And I need a reminder once in awhile. I reckon we all do and that is why these things happen.

Last edited:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Indeed it is (odd), And I'm sorry to hear this about your co-worker, but don't beat yourself up about it- it's not fair to yourself.

Your post made me think of someone I have not thought of in awhile- the opposite type of co-worker.

I used to work at a Healthcare Insurance company back in the early 2Ks, and we had this guy. Nicest Guy in the world. He was very religious and involved with his Church, was going through whatever to be a minister and he had an AMAZING voice. And he sang all the time at work. You always knew he was coming. He'd walk into the Men's room and really start belting something out. Usually Gospel, but sometimes old Motown. He was in his late 20s, maybe early 30s. Couldn't help but love the guy, even though management would get frustrated with him walking down the halls singing and ask him politely to tone it down. He was always please and thank you, and respectful as he could be.

He had married this woman he met at his church who had a couple kids from a previous (abusive) relationship. 2 young girls, and he may have even adopted them, IDR. He was always talking about these girls and his wife and all the things they did and he loved those 2 little girls like his own but would always joke about needing some more testosterone in the house. And finally, his wife got pregnant and he had his own first child coming and they found out it was a boy. Man, the singing really increased. He was ecstatic, and every time he walked by my desk he would stop and talk to me, because my son was little at the time and I had brought him to the office here and there and this guy would always ask what it was like having a boy, and what kind of "guy stuff" we did and whatnot...Sports, Star Wars, Superheroes, etc.

So one day he's not singing all that much and looks a bit under the weather and he stops by my desk on his way out and is talking to me about my Son, and I notice he's obviously not feeling well, and a bit sweaty on his forehead and face. He brushes it off as a cold, and asked me something else about having a boy and I cannot recall what he asked me or what I said, but he said to me "I really have a lot to look forward to Jeff, don't I?" and I told him "Sure as hell do!" ...and then I apologized out of respect, but he laughed at me. He walked out of the office and left for the day. I came home that night and told my Son's Mom what he had said, and how I agreed with him, etc. IIRC his wife was about 7 or 8 months along.

First thing next morning, Management asks us all into the lunch/break area- all 120-ish of us. We thought it was layoffs as we had been through them before. Our VP steps up to the microphone and starts to cry a bit as she speaks- and she was a rock and as unemotional as they come. I couldn't fathom WTF was going on. And then she gets it together and tells us that this wonderful gentle soul of a Man passed away. He had viral meningitis which is deadly if not treated quickly, and apparently after he got home told his wife he was starting to feel pretty bad, collapsed while waiting for the ambulance and died later at the hospital. As VM is very contagious, they made available time for all of us to go get vaccinations/medication to help. Of course I was really shook, as I was a foot away from him and the last person at work to see him/talk to him. But moreso, I was just gutted.

I cannot tell you how many times over the years I have replayed that last scene in my head with him looking me right in the eyeswith that big smile and saying " I really have a lot to look forward to Jeff, don't I?". I felt guilty about it for a long time, like somehow I was at fault because I got to experience all the great stuff with my Son.

So yeah..try to be good to each other as often as you can. You never know. And I need a reminder once in awhile. I reckon we all do and that is why these things happen.
damn. sad times Jeff. sorry to hear that about this young fella.
life is way to short no matte when we go bro.

Latest posts