Let’s talk about EQ

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Emtbreid, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Emtbreid

Emtbreid Well-Known Member

Folks,

I’ve posted some other threads and posts etc over the last week pertaining to refining my tone a bit, some muddiness that I perceived (that others didn’t hear) etc.... very briefly, I had my JCM2000 DSL401 on a stand, then took it off and liked it sounding better on the floor. I also ended up changing out my power tubes and rebiasing the amp myself. Preamp tubes were all JJ (that I changed out 6 months or so ago), until I replaced V1 with a tung sol. That being said, I’m fairly happy with what I hear coming out of the speakers, but there’s always room to improve, yes?

I’m using this amp on OD2 gain on amp set to 2-3, pushed by a tube screamer mini... gain below 9 o’clock tone 2 o’clock level max. Speaker in the combo is a 1983 G12-65.

Now that all that is out of the way, I’m considering adding an EQ to the mix to boost/cut frequencies. Here’s my question(s).... .Boss GE7 or MXR 10 band? Second, would I run the EQ out front or through the loop... bear in mind I’m already running a delay and reverb in the loop. Third, would I keep the amplifier EQ the same as it is and tweak from the pedal, or say put bass mid treble at 12 o’clock and go from there?

That’s a lot of information... tried to include everything I thought would be helpful ... I’d be grateful for any advice, etc, thank you in advance!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I’ve don’t own an EQ (yet) but if I did get one, it would be the MXR 10 band because I have heard nothing but good things about them.

3. Emtbreid

And let’s be honest, those new blue LEDs may be blinding but how fucking cool do they look?

Mitchell Pearrow and MarshallDog like this.
  4. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Totally a Try and See Thing …… Personally I never liked the modulation stuff in the 401 loop due to the parallel design. … I have two 401s …… Both have an MXR 10Band Built In to each of them…A Combo and a Custom Head… All of my Pedals are in Front ……

5. Emtbreid

I can’t run modulation in my loop.... the sounds aren’t loud enough. My loop is strictly reverb/delay. Can the 10 band sit there with these?

6. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Dunno …… I meant to say Time Based Stuff
    All that’s in mine are the MXRs

7. Emtbreid

Ah gotcha. So, mxr in front? Would you do it first in the chain, or ? Only things I’m running in front is a crybaby, then tubescreamer mini, then the chorus.

8. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

With the MXR 10 band EQ, can you set it up to be a nice volume boost without affecting the natural sound of the guitar/amp and if yes, where is the best place to put it on a pedal board? In the front or at the end?

Thanks,

MD

Edit: @Mitchell Pearrow any input on this question buddy? I know you have one and love it!!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  9. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

No no !! lol ……MXR is all that’s in my loop !!! Built Into each Amp !!

10. Emtbreid

Mitchell Pearrow and Jon C like this.
  11. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

That is odd that you like OD2 on a DSL. Most guys prefer OD 1. Have you experimented much with OD1?

Mitchell Pearrow and MarshallDog like this.
  12. Cadorman

Cadorman Well-Known Member

I run my MXR10 in the loop first position. Works great. Have used it with JCM900 2100 MKIII and JCM2000 TSL100.

13. Emtbreid

I use OD1 but don’t like the 10db drop I get. I run OD2 but seriously low gain, maybe 2-3, TS mini low. OD1 just doesn’t seem to have enough for me, I’ll have to try and mess with it more. I can tell you I can’t touch OD1 or 2 without a tube screamer mini always on. Happy to post a link to a YouTube vid for a sample of what I’m getting.

14. john hammond

john hammond Well-Known Member

use whichever one has the lowest floor noise..hiss.
    all eq's are not created the same, if i ever want an eq pedal, i use a boss pq3, quietest one out of the lot of them, and they sound real good.
    the pq4 is a bit of a lightweight in comparison...the pq3 is for bass and is hands down killer tone for guitar.
    i actually own probably ten eq pedals, old and new, different brands etc...and the boss pq3 slays them all.
    i had an mxr 10 band, not bad, but those stupid lights can flicker and stop working.
    simple is best.
    parametric is real good.

od1's vary so much, I have 2 first chip rc3403adb? ( one is second month made in 1977, boxed, minty) and four( i think) of the silver screw jrc4558 early ones, some drop db very little, some a fair bit.the long chip ones have more bass, the later 8 pin more tops.

Nik Henville likes this.
  15. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion

@john hammond - hear you on the PQ-3B, a fine pedal. Wondering if you had tried the Empress Effects ParaEq out of Canukistan... and if so, how it compared sound-wise?

:hippie::pirate::uk:

john hammond likes this.
  16. john hammond

hi nik, no, I haven't tried it.
    i got two of those pq3's, these two sound identical, very consistent.
    i know ive got a few ge-6, and a modded ge7, less hiss than normal but less life too.
    ive got a couple of old blue mxr 6 bands and more too i think

i'll tell you what sounds good is that dressed to kill album by kiss, Im listening to it now, i love this album, so simple, its groove based ,really.

you like that album nik?

Kim Lucky Day and Nik Henville like this.
  17. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    Can't abide Kiss - all fucking costume and bling and show, no 'art', no 'soul'.

Your mileage may vary - and the world would be deadly boring if we all liked the same stuff :p

:hippie::pirate::uk:

john hammond likes this.
  18. john hammond

yeah but im not watching their videos or watching them prance around in some obvious homo-erotic pre-mating ritual..just listening, i believe they have true rock genius merit...the intervals nik, the timing..those bass runs ( the bass tone is so odd too..it catches your ear )
    i do accept that you cant stand them based on their appearance and behaviour though.
    I'm the same with some bands.

- and theres something special about Ace frehley..very musical..very economical..tasty lead playing

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Kim Lucky Day and Nik Henville like this.
  19. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Another MXR 10 owner here (in the loop of course) but honestly, I rarely touch it, just for the unusually odd thing, like if you're trying to balance out an off thing about speakers that don't play well with your specific amp or maybe trying to dupe a famous tone and can't get quite get there with amp settings, etc. Your JMC2000 is a damn fine, well balanced amp! You should be able to cover tons of ground without an eq pedal. What speakers are you using with it? Anyway, yeah, grab an eq pedal, they are super handy from time to time and it can't hurt having another tone shaping tool. The MXR is quiet. The GE-7 is not.

20. Emtbreid

‘83 G12-65 is my speaker

Mitchell Pearrow and Derek S like this.