Les Paul Studio advice

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by PaulHikeS2, Mar 5, 2021.

1. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm in the market for a Les Paul with humbuckers - I have one with P90s. I'm leaning towards a Studio as I want something lighter - mine's a full 10lbs. There are a lot of choices between $800-$1100 and I'm wondering if there are particular years to avoid and what people think in general of the 490R/498T pickup configuration. I saw one with classic 57s but all others have the other pups. And does binding on the next make that much difference? The 2018-19s have binding. I've never played one without that.
    Or am I better off just spending $1350 on a new one?

Old Punker likes this.
  2. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

I have a 2008 Studio with the 490R/498T pickups and I really like mine. It weighs in at 8.2 lbs, which feels better to me than 10 lbs would. The 498T is pretty hot, I believe it's somewhere around 14 kOhms, so its suitability will depend on the style(s) of music you play. I play mainly classic punk and hardcore and this guitar suits me just fine, although I don't usually have the guitar volume all the way up. I'm getting into some metal next so I'll probably appreciate the extra output. I have the 57 Classics on my SG Standard and I really like them a lot, but I don't know how they sound in a LP.

My Studio does not have binding but I don't miss it. I have binding on other guitars but I am good either way.

You may also want to talk to @Mitchell Pearrow, he also has a Studio and he likes the tones he's getting too. :cheers:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  3. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

I have a 2014 Anniversary Studio. No binding. It came with the 490 + 498's. Weren't for me so I replaced them with a set of Duncan Pearly Gates.
    Obviously you're better off being able to play the guitars before buying.
    BP

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  4. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

Studios are great, mines a '91. Not light though, it's about 10 pounds.

5. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Purchased new 2002 Black Studio with the 490R/498T 9.5 lb
    Played nearly everyday without any problems I can remember, wouldn’t hesitate to replace it.

6. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Studios are not chambered unless things changed in the last couple of years. Had to sell my 2000 unfortunately it was a good straight up guitar no bells & whistles but heavy. Was about $1400aus back then now they're about $2400 here so next LP style will be Tokai. Getting old & more into value for money these days than Brand names.

Old Punker likes this.
  7. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Studios were chambered for a few years beginning around 2006. I have one. The earliest ones like mine are known as "maraca" Les Pauls because the inept shitheads at Gibson left small bits of wood debris in the chamber when they affixed the maple tops. There is no way to remove the debris. It's entombed. To stop it you have to drill a pilot type hole in the bridge pickup cavity, inject wood glue into the chamber, then shake the instrument around to capture the debris and let it dry into the glue. Only A Gibson Is Good Enough.

8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I’ve got a 2006 Studio PP and I love it! I don’t know what it is about them, but virtually everyone I’ve talked to, loves their Gibson LP Studios.

It seems much more so than most of the higher end LPs. It also seems that every LP issue or problem I hear of is a higher end LP.

I also have a Gibson LP Custom, and imo there are no issues playing without binding, that I can see or feel, I mean we all own a traditional Strat or Tele type without binding, don’t we?

Some guitars or guitar finishes look better to me without binding.

9. Madfinger

The one I had was just a solid lump of wood with no cap, on the heavy side but not unbearable. Sort of half hearted effort of tobacco burst colour bit didnt look terrible. Really regret selling it for a Tele cause 12 months later I bought the Studio Plexi & now of course I want a good LP style guitar. :wallbash:

10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah I get that, we all have regrets selling gear one time or another.

You did mention about the heavy weight and the less than desirable finish quality of your Studio, but you didn’t say how the guitar played and sounded.

Were you happy with the tone and playability of the guitar?

Old Punker likes this.
  11. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Well-Known Member Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

The 490R/498T pickups rock in my 2016 LP 50's Tribute gold top. Binding? You don't need no stinking binding. We used to make fun of the Studio's as "the poor man's Les Paul" because they didn't have binding. But I haven't had that attitude in decades. The Studio models are just as much crafted works of art in their class as any other Les Paul in its own class. Personally, I love the necks - the shape, the way the fretboard curve feels, and the 490R/498T pickup set. Plus, since they're not "adorned" with any of the fancy stuff it's much more likely to get played. Lightweight, heavy or chambered, the ones I've played sound great to me. If you're spending $1K on one, I say it's money well spent.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  12. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I bought my 2011 Studio from GC on line didn’t play it or touch it, until it hit my local GC. Best $800.00 I have ever spent, and yes it came with its original case, I have never confirmed the pick ups, but have been told for the year and model , that they are the 490’s and I love mine, I pick it up more than the SG, as they are my 2 favorites, to grab and play
    My SG is the Faded series,
    $1,600.00 tied up in both of them...
    Cheers
    Mitch

MatFnEhUK, Old Punker and PaulHikeS2 like this.
  13. Madfinger

Yes brilliant guitar for all things LP @ the time 1/3 the cost of a CS. The dude that purchased it off me was a working muso with a collection of something like 15 guutars. He couldn't get it home quick enough.

Old Punker and scozz like this.
  14. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Well-Known Member

My '96 Studio has the 490/498 set and it is the gnarliest sounding Les Paul I've ever played. It had a broken headstock and was fixed before I bought it, although it was a really sloppy job. It hasn't broken again, so mission accomplished.

Old Punker likes this.
  15. tmingle

tmingle Well-Known Member

I have 2011 Studio Faded & the side of the fret board/neck is wearing away. I dont play that much!!!

16. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

You want light check out the LP Lite:
    https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPCT19?siid=243280

Old Punker and PaulHikeS2 like this.
  17. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

pedecamp likes this.
  18. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Same here in Canada, new Les Paul's are very expensive, currently about $2,150 for a Studio.

scozz likes this.
  19. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Regardless of what you decide—do yourself a favor and never EVER buy a Gibson without spending some time with it first. 90% of issues people have with Gibsons fall into the, ‘well why did you choose that one then?’ Buy your strings online, buy your instruments in person.

PaulHikeS2, scozz and Old Punker like this.
  20. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

I bought a used 60s Tribute Gold Top for a 50th birthday treat to myself, I'd always wanted a Gibson and I wasn't disappointed: Plays beautifully and apart from a set of locking tuners (reversible mod) I haven't changed anything about it, unlike most of my other guitars.

Five years on I did start to convince myself that I would trade it for one of the new Standard Gold Tops with P90s, but I played 3 different ones in different shops and wasn't convinced. The 4th time I took my 60s Tribute and played them side by side. Apart from the 'stinking binding' and gloss finish looking very nice, mine played just as well, I preferred the sound of mine and it's a damn sight lighter too (Tribute is weight relieved). I came home with my poor man's model and have enjoyed it all the more now I've done the 'what if?'.

Here's mine:
    GT 1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021