Les Paul String Gauge

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1

iu
Yeah, I’ve been using these for over 30 years I think, on all my LPs. And Ernie Ball 9-42 for my Strat and Tele.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a wrist injury I went to 9's on all guitars including Les Pauls. But recently I found I could use 10's on Gibson scale with a wraparound style bridge. Still need to use 9's on LPs with TOMs and stop tail piece.
How about topwrapping with the TOM bridge, I’ve been stringing all my TOM topwrapped?

I love the angle over the bridge, and I can deck the tailpiece and be concerned that any strings are touching the back of the bridge.

Another benefit of topwrapping is no chance of a collapsed bridge like on some tuneomatics when strung the traditional way.

jeffb

Reaction score
I have the same issue after severing the nerves in my pointer and middle finger on my fretting hand. Then there's tendon, joint damage and arthritis in that hand as well. Had my hand closed in a car door when I was a kid and also broke my wrist and multiple fingers on different occasions through the years afterwards. That's been on both hands. my picking hand was mauled by a dog when I was a little kid that also did nerve and tendon damage. So that lead to me also developing arthritis in both hands and wrists by my early-mid 20's. I was extremely accident prone. lol
I'm sorry to hear that and unfortunately I can totally relate, I've got the same issues- nerve, joint, and now arthritis on top of it.

Yay us.

Ken Ops

Reaction score
10-46 for mine. Feels right, good sustain, and works just fine with Drop D and Eb Standard as well.

Probably no right and wrong about it - whatever works for y’all. Also depends a bit on how the guitar is set up of course.

AustinPaul

Reaction score
I bought a pack of these and I’m gonna put them on one of my Les Pauls tomorrow, I’ve never played a lighter string than 9s.

Any of you guys running these?
Whew, that's really 'slinky' (ha) on a Les Paul. I suppose if you have soft touch and/or have not yet developed strength in your hands, they'll be a good thing. The only thing is that if you're also playing something like a Strat or Tele with their longer scale, you might need to run 8s on them to get the same feel.

I'm heavy handed on rhythm and lead, bend heavily (I guess I'm a "boomer bender"!). I use thick 2.0 Dunlop Gators and generally run 10s on any of my 24.75 guitars, and 9s on my 25s, but for a reason that doesn't really make sense, something about the way I play Teles makes 9s too light for me, so it's 10s for Teles. Odd one that puzzles me to this day.

I love me some Ernie Ball Slinkys!

Last edited:

TXOldRedRocker

Where's the exit?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been trying Ernie Hybrid's lately. 8-42 and 8.5-40. If I use the sets with 38's as the low E, that string and the A, fall too deep in the nut. Fret buzz issues. I like fairly low action. Since I don't bend the low string much, I'm trying the thinner high strings with the "normal-ish" low strings. Working fairly well. May end up replacing the nuts on a couple of guitars to handle the 8-38 or 7's without issue.

I have serious arthritis issues, especially in the hands. Plus, short fat fingers. I prefer the lighter strings to reduce pain and increase playing time.

Rocktane

Reaction score
Having MS, my hands are screwed too. Numb, weak, painful, tremors, you name it! I use 9's on all my super strats, which are mostly E flat, but have been trying to man up and stick with 10's on my new LP. I'm losing that battle! I was about to try some 9.5's or 9-46's on the LP but after reading all of this.... maybe I should just go right to 9-42's. Or lower. Now, where is my Geritol, time for a nap!

ssolo8

Reaction score

Greg Rogers

Reaction score
I don’t know if that necessarily true, Billy Gibbons
Uses 7s and his bottom end doesn’t suffer,… but then he’s Billy Gibbons!
Exactly. Rick Beato and friends did a test of lighter gauge strings and there was no noticeable tone loss.

december

Reaction score
I got those once to use the 11-38 with a 52 so I could have the 22w for G.

Moony

Reaction score
Threads about string gauges equal discussions about religion. :D

I'm not sure if Rick Beato is the pope but he has a point.
And if lighter strings suit your playing style and feel good, then go for them.
There's nothing wrong with them.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I have played 10 - 46 for years and string the Pauls with those.
That said, I use 9 - 42 on the shredders and the hybrid slinkys are a nice idea. I have used those on some.
I may try the 9.5 on the LPs? Or maybe hybrids.
I dunno.
I play hard but also like to shred on, well, any of them so it becomes a compromise. I strum and chord hard and bend which can throw the 9s out. I will never play anything under a 9 unless it becomes necessary some day.
I use heavy picks, I need them to not flex outta shape.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whew, that's really 'slinky' (ha) on a Les Paul. I suppose if you have soft touch and/or have not yet developed strength in your hands, they'll be a good thing. The only thing is that if you're also playing something like a Strat or Tele with their longer scale, you might need to run 8s on them to get the same feel.

I'm heavy handed on rhythm and lead, bend heavily (I guess I'm a "boomer bender"!). I use thick 2.0 Dunlop Gators and generally run 10s on any of my 24.75 guitars, and 9s on my 25s, but for a reason that doesn't really make sense, something about the way I play Teles makes 9s too light for me, so it's 10s for Teles. Odd one that puzzles me to this day.

I love me some Ernie Ball Slinkys!
Well I decided to put the 8s on a Strat first, an Lp will be next if I like them. I was only able to play for about a half hour or so and it’s seems great, much easier chording, and bending of course.

Yeah, bending is easier, but it’s faster too so l need to get a feel. They sound great, they should they’re brand new!

The tone sounds pretty much the same, they feel different, but not in a bad way. I didn’t notice anything else different really, and bending.

I should’ve mentioned earlier the string gauge I normally use. 9-46 for my Lps, and 9-42 D as test and Tele.

Last edited:

Latest posts