>

Legendary Tones 'Hot Mod V2'..

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Adrian R, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Well finally pulled the trigger ordered this little thing today.

I really would like to use my 2204 more for gigging... It's just such a cool amp...but I love the lead boost capabilities of the two channeled DSL..

By using this mod, I *may* be able to dial in the right amount of attack by experimenting with the amp's controls, then use my FD2 for a slightly louder, tighter lead boost.

For those of you whom do not know what the Hotmod is... it's a device that plugs into the V2 preamp tube socket, in which has two preamp tubes allowing you to get twice the preamp gain in A single tube socket. Brilliant idea if you ask me. Google it if you do not know about it.

@$200.. it's not too expensive either...and it does not in any way change the stock nature of the amp in any manner.

It will be cool being to plug straight into my 2204, like my DSL without a pedal, and get high gain Marshall tones...BUT with a real 2204 800!

I will be sure to post my thoughts and clips after I have had it for a spell.

mad5066, Maggot Brain, wntbtw and 5 others like this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I was thinking of getting a Bad Cat Unleash one of these days to provide lead boost for my 2204, but at twice the price of your hot mod its a bigger commitment that I'll get to one of these days when I feel I can warrant it. Also if you remember me telling you about the Mad Professor Underdrive, it does a good approximation of a lead volume boost not perfect but does the job, basically set your lead volume boost and tone on the amp and step on the Underdrive to bring it down to rhythm volume and gain level, I think I paid about $100 used and is worth looking at. Good to see ya man! :yesway:

Adrian R likes this.
  3. Adrian R

Thanks dude...been
    Thanks...I like the idea of not needing a pedal to just bust out metal tones...too...

pedecamp likes this.
  4. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

I have the original HotMod v2, and I think it kicks ass. Makes my 2204, and clones into instant fire breathers.

The thing I dig about it is you can go from stock to hotrodded 800/ sl-x type gain with just a turn of the preamp volume, and the amp retains the big crunchy in your face 2204 tone, and still cleans up pretty good rollling back the guitars volume. Exceptional device that I wish I had 35 years ago.

That's my experience with the original HMV2, I assume you have the newer version coming so I can't say exactly your results will be the same, but they should be similar...and David is super helpful if you have any questions.

5. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I think I'd like the Lynch-mod version...

either way, it's a cool device.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  6. Adrian R

He went from PTP to PCB construction. Also added two switches to change the gain structure for even more gain/compression, or more low end. How would u compare it's performance in the 2204 as opposed to the DSL's red channel?

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  7. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

But you've said for years your DSL's were the bee's knee's.
    BTW the DSL is not a "lead boost" amp.
    I suppose you can do that but thats not what its designed for.
    Why anyone on the planet would ever need more than a stock 2K JCM DSL w/a boost pedal is beyond me but i guess the last 20 years peeps have changed and not necessarily for the better.
    In any event at some point in the past the hot-mod V2 seems like something i might have snagged.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  8. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

i have a jcm 800 2210 and a jcm 900 4500 and what i been told is neither one can use one of those them there thingies ,what to do? will they ever make one for those 2 heads?

9. Gunner64

I'm not sure why you'd need, or want another gain stage in either of those amps.

10. Gunner64

To me the 2204 w the hm still sounds like a 2204..the my dsl gets close but will always be just a bit short in that 2204 tone department. Similar gain levels though.

11. Adrian R

I think I've explained my strategy at least twenty times with respect to the DSL, but apparently you just don't get it. I will one more time...to be polite. I ONLY use the DSL's red channel for soloing..period. It's own master volume control makes it ideal for solo boosting (meaning VOLUME). I use a OD pedal mainly to boost the amp's green channel...toggling it on and off for cleaner tones. The amp is nearly ideal for gigging imo precisely because of this configuration. Obviously with a single channel amp you cannot do this...however, with the the 2204...using the HM2 *may* allow me to use my OD pedal just for a lead boost...because it has it's own volume control... however, I KNOW it will not be as effective as the DSL as I am just boosting the front end more... But, for a more conservative lead boost it might work. Plus, I like the additional compression you get from a pedal...tightens your pick attack up...

pedecamp likes this.
  12. Adrian R

Add a choke duuuuude!!!!! Closes the gap man...seriously...not completely...but much closer...

13. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

why wouldn't i gunner? r u saying i already got lots of distortion? but it would be nice to see what one would do don't u think? and i feel left out ,do u think it has something to do with why they don't make one for either of these heads?
    or is it because the ones made won't work with how these amps are made?

14. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

Yes i like a pedal for that too. My preferred method.
    The Vmod seems like a cool gadget.
    Too bad they didn't have them 40 years ago.
    Some of us who have played 5 decades have done what we needed already in order to achieve the results we want.
    As more & more gadgets come out i don't really need that stuff cuz i have arrived many moons ago. But im about to hang it up with the music gear. My wife & I want to do other things. Coming up on 60 years old. The appeal to play to drunk people my age has lost its luster. And lets face it, folks that still drink & drug like its 1970 are a hot mess, at least around here and i don't even drink.
    Kyle does a good demo here.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    VERVEHAMMER likes this.
  15. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

hey i was just told the mod will work with the 1990 jcm 800 2210 ,but it will cut out the first channel . who cares if i don't use it right? i only use the second channel so what do u think would happen with the mod installed and i used a mrx 6 band eq ,and a cab with greenbacks and jbl d120f's in it?

wntbtw likes this.
  16. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

You might burn out the heater tap on your power transformer.

17. David Szabados

David Szabados Member Platinum Supporting Member

No that is incorrect. There is plenty of current available for the HMV2E and the extra tube. The circuit changed in the 2210 from 1986+ has nothing to do with the heaters. People have been adding extra preamp tubes to Marshall’s for years and there is plenty of current supply available in the PT. I worked closely with Marshall support, as well as Mike Soldano and Andy Marshall of THD to ensure all aspects of the design is safe.
    In the latest version of the Hot Mod V2 Evo, you can even insert it into the wrong preamp position in the amp and NO damage will occur. Either the HMV2E will “see” and connect to the cathode follower circuit or it won’t.
    So all is good :)

VERVEHAMMER, wntbtw and Dogs of Doom like this.
  18. Gunner64

19. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

so lets say i get one of these things ,where does it go? exactly .
    it's a marshall jcm 800 2210 1990 has 5 small tubes ,4 big ones .

20. David Szabados

David Szabados Member Platinum Supporting Member

In your 1990 2210, when using the HMV2E, it won’t work properly in that the first channel becomes inoperable, even though some people still use it fine with the 2nd channel only. It really works best with 2210 models made before 1986 - then BOTH channels will work.

It fits into the middle V2 slot of the three preamp tubes that are grouped together. The other two preamp tubes in their separate group are for the loop and reverb.

For reference on compatibility, the list can be found here:

https://legendarytones.com/will-my-hot-mod-v2-work-in-x-amp/

Email me directly with any questions anytime at [email protected]. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021