Led Zeppelin

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by BatmansMarshall, Mar 27, 2021.

1. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

2. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

The tone of the single coils and plexi sound good.

It sounds like you may be up and down picking when to me the original track is all down picking. Your timing is slightly off. Working with a metronome or click track will help get you there. I do not say that to be mean but constructive. Thanks for sharing.

3. BatmansMarshall

I'll rince and repeat the wrinkles out with my jamming to this over the long term. I want to add it to my possible covers at the end of the night if people want one more but it's also a band thing in the end. I just want to sound good rocking and then improve on my strumming and timing tight with the band from there. Thanks

Crikey and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

5. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Well-Known Member

I'm a Zep/Page fan from way back. The thing with Mr. Page, just like Mr. Blackmore, is they never tell all their gear secrets and often give misleading info during interviews. This was just how it was done back then. It's a British thing I guess. Guitar players are competitive, etc.

I just recently wrapped up a listening binge with the remasters of Zep II, Physical Graffiti and Presence, which is my favorite Zep album. Yes, I'm one of those Zep fans and often wonder what masterpiece they would have come out with after Presence. The Presence album has Jimmy using what is likely his Blue Stratocaster, but it could be any Strat for that matter. A really brite Les Paul can sometimes sound Straty into certain amps. Page was also a master of the studio and crafted not only his tones, but the entire albums tones. I could go on and on and love the band as a whole, but the guitar was an out front instrument in that band.

As for your recording, good job !

It takes hard work to record and make it sound okay. It takes deep pockets and a lot of time to make things sound great, especially with full band recordings.

The hardest thing for me and probably a few others is to turn down the volume when recording or use small low watt amps. I want a wall of guitar, but that little SM57 doesn't always agree. So, my only real constructive critique is that it's a bit over saturated. The original guitar part sounds like down picking to me with a very, very light mute, which could be palm or the edge of the pinky finger.

Anyway, recording loud amps is like shoving a bowling ball into a garden hose. Room mics at a distance often works, plus cabinets have a sweet spot up and off too the side (or similar) and not always directly in front of the cone. It goes against logic, but mic diaphragm's will temporarily collapse under the SPL's from a speaker which leads to over saturation and other artifacts. Overload worked back in the analog days, but digital is not forgiving. (IMO).

Just my :2c:. Take it for what it's worth.

Keep at it and have fun along the way !!!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  6. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

The tone is good you got some twang going on thar . Keep on rocking

7. BatmansMarshall

Thanks. I can actually do Page tones :band: but then I just end up sounding exactly like him. The secret to his tone is that his primary recording amp is not his stage Plexi but a Supro Coronado. :hippie: You bought these with your utilities shopping at Target. Suitcase side and handle. The problem is that it isn't going to be heard over front row screaming fans. :scream: It is 35W with 10" speakers 6L6 power tube tones. Boutique modern versions exist. They aren't ridiculously expensive either but a vintage one would be. They are far easier to wrestle with :jam:than a Plexi.

I don't play my Plexi in that video, the Plexi plays me. Like fishing with a Marlin on the end. The Supro tones I worked on are more like fishing with a trout. You don't need big distortion for Led Zep's tones either. Just frontend boost any amp you see played in the 70s or earlier. Nothing too hot. :shred2:Speakers in the Supro are more like a Fender with a Jensen speaker. I liked how the single coils reacted there also. In my video, the Plexi was going to G12M and picked up with an SM57 and Ribbon121.

I'll do my Supro version of some more Led Zeppelin later on and post up this one again for comparison.

Peace. :slash:

8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Once you and the band tighten it up your good to go.
    Cheers
    Mitch

Sapient, Crikey and BatmansMarshall like this.
  9. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer . Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

I rike it. I rike it a rot. :)

[​IMG]

10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Something is terribly out of sync. :ugh:

Chrome, Sapient and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. Vinsanitizer

It's the pancakes! The pancakes are in the waste basket

[​IMG]

Trelwheen, ibmorjamn and Sapient like this.
  12. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Pages deal with yhe devil and buying Anton Laveys old house is kinda creepy too. Or maybe its just the dragon pants???

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  13. harleytech

harleytech Well-Known Member

I think that would be Aleister Crowley's old house... Not Anton Lavey...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  14. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Well-Known Member

Yes. It is Crowley's old residence, but it has a proper English name or something. Probably a Manor-on-Grange or similar.

My amps are warmed up and I'm ready for round two of practice time so maybe someone will bother to look it up.

Hocus Pocus was a band. All the other mojo voodoo stuff just sells more records !

I said "records". Gheesh !

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

Supro dupro, I say!

One thing about Page is as you say ...his "distortion/sustain'" levels are very low. You do not see page holding notes, because he did not have that kind of gain and sustain to do it. I think a lot of people that want to hear his tone as they play, but do not want to feel it as they play - the low blunt sustain and actual lack of drive that is used in modern sounds. It really is a give and take kind of tone in the modern day.

:dude:

16. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

tallcoolone and JamminJeff like this.
  17. BatmansMarshall

Yeah, I agree. It's easy to hear it's a Supro when you hear one being played with the volume up. Typically 70s sounding vintage tones. I have always been a fan of dialing back gain to clean up on tone. I also don't use very high amounts of volume on my guitar volume dial. I stay around 7. I let the amp do the work.

JamminJeff and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  18. harleytech

harleytech Well-Known Member

Yep it's the Boleskine House... Like Dogs of Doom said...

Mitchell Pearrow and JamminJeff like this.
  19. Vinsanitizer

Michael Cain's house.

20. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member