Lead Boost for Jcm800 2203...

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by FIREpunkMEDIC, Jun 24, 2021.

1. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

For this specific situation, the best option is probably the suggestions for boosting mids
    Yes, this is the "easiest" approach, if it works for the user. In cases where the user prefers the maximum drive from the amp for rhythm, that approach would cause a loss of rhythm drive (from the amp), and a dirt pedal (up front) would be needed to compensate. So, yes it works, but may also require it's own work-around.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    tallcoolone likes this.
  2. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

Hence the dirt pedal.
    Attenuate for rhythm, and that attenuation will clean up the amp. Dial in the amount of distortion to somewhat match the amp's distortion.

The OP states he's already tried a variety of boosts, and most people here are recommending different boosts, lol

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Let’s see a clip of you rocking a 2203 unattenuated.

Jethro Rocker and Kim Lucky Day like this.
  4. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

Ahhh that's what the master volume is for. Duh. I also would NOT attenuate a 100w amp with a 50w attenuator when there are other options MORE appropriate for the job. The original post was about lead boost not attenuating the amp.

3 pages in what happened to the OP?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  5. marshallmellowed

Yeah, funny how the posts continue to flow in these threads, and the OP is MIA.

6. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

While this would work, it also means getting yoir core distortion from the gain on a pedal as opposed to simply pushing the front of the amp.

tallcoolone, WellBurnTheSky and scozz like this.
  7. marshallmellowed

Exactly, and why I wouldn't like that approach. One reason (but not the only), I only buy amps with Fx loops). I'll let the other guys struggle with it.

8. FIREpunkMEDIC

FIREpunkMEDIC Member

Yeah, I mean how dare he not post after his neighborhood just got hit by a tornado, right?! Anyway, appreciate all the options you've all thrown out there! Might try a few, minus modding. I'd get another amp before I do any mods the this beauty! Which, may be what ends up happening with this becoming my "studio" head more or less....

Anyway, back to cutting fallen trees out of streets and off neighbors houses...I'll check in later!

Cheers!

9. marshallmellowed

Bummer, been there, done that. At least it sounds like it didn't kill you, or get your amp. ;)

10. FIREpunkMEDIC

FIREpunkMEDIC Member

Knock on wood!! Our home is pretty unscathed somehow! Some neighbors are not NEARLY so lucky...last few days have been on duty at the firehouse or cleaning up the neighborhood. Looking forward to some downtime to figure out some of these suggestions!

11. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

Correct, but as the OP stated, he needs a volume boost. Boosting the front end of an already distorted amp doesn't give you more volume.
    Some good suggestions with an attenuator with switching options, but expensive. The dirt pedal route is a cheap, practical alternative. And as stated, not the best option, but a practical and cheap one.

12. Jethro Rocker

Indeed.
    If playing at places with FOH and micing cab, which is almost essential, this works too to boost at FOH. Boost the mic by setting a second mixer channel higher and splitting signal. . Footswitchable.

[​IMG]

13. FleshOnGear

FleshOnGear Well-Known Member

I think this is brilliant. A really good sounding distortion pedal could really do the trick here. What would be some good options? The Guv’nor comes to mind, but there have to be other winners available.

14. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

Mojomojo sounds a lot like a stock 800...

Demonstrating that very concept with a mojomojo
    The amp in the clip is my studio 15 modified to 6v6 driven 2204

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  15. Jethro Rocker

Yes in retrospect here, since I have a Lynch Mod I could put it in the 4010 and run the LM right to the bag or so for solos. Use a "negatively" set OD up front and simply back level off, no gain. That would be like lowering preamp gain with the LM on. Plus gives the additional tone contour. Turn it off for solos.
    In that case works great for me! Without the LM not so much as I need an OD ON up front to begin with.

Mitchell Pearrow and Guitar Rod like this.
  16. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

17. Alfi27

Alfi27 Member

Metropoulos Zero Loss FX loop. Fantastic in master volume amps, no change in tone but can be installed with a bypass switch to put your mind at ease. Honestly nothing else is going to do the trick as long as you're running the amp distorted, apart from external gear like the Boss TAE. Boosting the front end, doesn't matter what you're boosting it with, is only going to increase the gain and/or change the EQ. The reason why something like a tube screamer works fine in some occasions is because it boosts the mid range as well as gain, making the tone cut through more. But it doesn't make it louder.

18. boyfarrell

boyfarrell New Member

I have the same amp!

You want more of a volume boost than a gain boost?

This is difficult because once the amp is distorting, putting more signal in will generally just cause more distortion and not raise the volume.

There is a sweet spot you can find, but it's normally where the preamp is not quite maxed out and the power amp is being crunched. This means there your tone is being generated by a nice balance of pre-amp and power amp and you still have a bit of headroom remaining. But there will always be unavoidable increase in gain. But you can try and make it manageable.

Approach 1:

1) Turn up the master volume as high as possible, you want to the power amp to be overdriven.
    2) Then dial in the preamp volume to your taste
    3) Try and find the sweet spot in which turning on and off the boost changes volume and feel more than gain.

Approach 2:

Get an A/B box so you can use the High and Low inputs.

* Use the high input for your lead tone
    * Use the low input + clean boost for your rhythm tone.

The low channel uses one less gain stage so the low channel will have much less gain. Try and compensate for this using the boost pedal. You might need something more like a tube screamer, to match the tone of the High channel; that missing gain stage will really make a difference to the complexity of the overdrive tone.

However, much of the override in the JCM 800's preamp comes from the cold clipper, this will always be distorting once you are up in volume.

19. Alfi27

Alfi27 Member

This is not possible. Once you plug something into the low input you're essentially removing the entire 1st gain stage from the circuit, and the only way to get it back is to physically take the jack out.

Kim Lucky Day and Jethro Rocker like this.
  20. Chrome

Chrome Firebird Freak Gold Supporting Member

there is a work around on this, I use it all the time. if you are using a boost/fuzz/TS-9 (any kind of boost/gain) set your rythm (stage volume) with it on and the volume down ( more than you would if you were using it as a boost) when you break into lead turn it off, therefore more volume. I hope this makes sense basically reversing how you would typically use a boost ( this way your really using it as an attentuator).

Mitchell Pearrow and wntbtw like this.