Lead Boost for Jcm800 2203...

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by FIREpunkMEDIC, Jun 24, 2021.

1. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Not with a 2203 it doesn’t

2. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Yes, I have a Mass 200 with that option. The downside, it's just that, a bypass, so it's full volume when bypassed. The Unleash has 2 independent output level controls, and you can footswitch between them. A very cool option, and why I bought the Unleash (that, and I found one cheap on CL).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  3. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

A practical solution would be to use a dirt pedal as a passive attenuator.
    For rhythm parts you engage the pedal, and for solos disengage pedal for the amp to be full tilt.

Since that pedal will be attenuating the signal, the amp won't distort as much, so this is where you would dial in some distortion with the pedal to sort of match the amp's distortion.

Not the best option, but practical.

4. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Can you attenuate channel 1 down and adjust channel 2 to your lead volume boost accordingly? Or are you saying the Unleash won't handle 100W?

5. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

The latter, otherwise I agree the Unleash works great with a 50w amp

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. marshallmellowed

The Unleash (current models) are only rated for up to 50w amps. Of course, that's assuming a cranked 50w amp. With a 2203, running with master at around 2 or 3, it would probably work fine. If he wanted to crank the 2203, probably not.

7. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

It is recommended to use an attenuator rated at twice the wattage of the amp. If you are not going crank it you could probably get away with 100w attenuator with a 100w head. A 50w attenuator with a 100w head maybe not such a good idea.

8. houseofrock

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. Attenuated enough for rhythm, bypassed for lead boost.
    There is the Aracon attenuator with two separate attenuation levels but they are expensive. $800 or so.

I would try a mid boost pedal first to see if (already suggested) it helps any being a cheaper option. TS-9 or Maxon 808.

9. marshallmellowed

Yeah, those ratings are based on worse case scenarios (amps cranked). With a master volume amp, there's much less risk, as you can control the level going into the Unleash (or attenuator) with the master volume. A 2203, master on 1.5 is about the same output level (volume) as the SC20, master on around 4. The attenuator, in this case, the Unleash, can handle 50w, whether it's a 50 amp cranked, or a 100w amp set to that same output (volume) level.

tallcoolone likes this.
  10. Rockat

Rockat Active Member Silver Supporting Member

Ok here’s an idea. Metroamps or whatever there called do a small relay card that takes a foot switch. If you connect this to switch out the ground point of the tone stack ie bypassing it you will get a tremendous volume boost. . Fit a small pot to the card you can adjust the volume boost to suit.. I tried this and it works great.
    As I have a small box 2204 I opted not to fit it as could not clear the main board. But it’s worth worth a try.

11. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

100%!!

MXR 10 Band EQ is THEE most powerful tool. Sounds absolutely fantastic in the front or loop ( if you have one). I will always rep that pedal. Tons of tonal options, powerful enough to keep GAS at bay, cheap as chips. Still underrated.

12. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

If you are running high gain sounds normally with an OD up front for your basic sounds, you NEED a reamper of some sort, period. You don't see Tipton or KK backing off the guitar volume and up for solos, it is done FoH. Most times us weekend warriors do not have that luxury.
    A Bad Cat Unleash is fine if you keep the 2203 volume lower. If you don't care abput power tube saturation, set it to 2 or 3 on the MV. The volume comes from the 100 w amp built in to the Unleash with it's second channel set higher for boosts.
    It works great.

Mitchell Pearrow and tallcoolone like this.
  13. marshallmellowed

A bit unrelated to the OP's situation, but this is just one of the reasons I use an Axe Fx for gigs, it's so easy to do solo volume boosts + delay, or whatever you want for a solo, with one button press. Sorry for going off on a tangent.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. marshallmellowed

Exactly, and the 2203 is not designed to rely on output tube saturation anyway, it's distortion character is mostly pre amp, so it doesn't need to be loud (although the louder it gets the better is sounds). I wouldn't hesitate to use the Unleash with it, at master volume settings around 1-3.

15. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Have you tried the Unleash with a 100 watt amp and pulled 2 power tubes?

16. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

TUBE SCREAMER.

You're welcome.

17. marshallmellowed

No, really no need when I've got 20w, 35w & 50w amps.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  18. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Unless a TS is already used and on up front to give it more ID as per 80s metal. Then more up front only adds more compression.

19. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Well-Known Member

This is he most unused idea in guitar. That Pedal Show talks about it since they use traditional no loop amps. Get your lead tone, then use almost any boost/EQ pedal to lower the volume. Have that pedal on and then turn it off for searing lead. Way more practical than spending endless money on an attenuator/external loop.

20. houseofrock

Why would you want to neuter the tone of an awesome sounding amp. Might was well use axe-fx for crying out loud. Both are bad ideas.

What about mic'ing the cab and have your sound man bring it up in the mix during solos. There is a work around solution. You just have to figure out what works best for you.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021