>

Lead Boost for Jcm800 2203...

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by FIREpunkMEDIC, Jun 24, 2021.

1. FIREpunkMEDIC

FIREpunkMEDIC Member

Hey yo!
    Y'all always have great suggestions so gonna drop this on in here...

So, I'm playing an '83 jcm800 2203...all original and an absolute MONSTER. One small dilemma...no loop. Was never a problem before as I was always a rhythm player. Well, now I'm doing a LOT more lead work. Tried traditional boosts in front but found it boosted gain more than a volume boost for leads...any advice?

Cheers!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

See if you can find a Behringer Super Fuzz. It is an exact copy of the Boss FZ-2 circuit. In addition to 2 fuzz options, it has a good boost and (if you can find one in stock) is like $30.

3. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. EL 34

EL 34 Well-Known Member

BBE Boosta Grande

5. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

A bit tough to get much of a volume boost without a loop. You shouldn't have too much trouble getting a few db with any good boost pedal (boosts the signal level only). Using distortion pedals in front of an amp actually counteracts attempts to achieve a volume boost, as they clip the peaks off of the signal, actually decreasing the signal level. The loop is typically the best place to get a "significant" volume boost, which is how I approach it with my 2203x.

6. tonycaster

tonycaster Well-Known Member

using the guitar volume is the only real way, but you can have small benefits using a boot/overdrive such as a ts9 with vol maxed and gain @ 0: the increased midrange of the ts9 type circuit will help to cut through the mix

7. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

If you don't want to mod your amp with a loop then maybe an attenuator with an on/bypass foot switch.
    On would be rhythm volume and bypass would be lead volume.
    As said a mid boost would also help.

wntbtw likes this.
  8. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Maaan, does no body play using the volume knob anymore???

I mean to each their own but the solution is built into the guitar.

I've been playing for nearly 19 years this July, in all the gigging and bands I've been in and done, I've never thought to myself of having a pedal or device boost my volume for soloing or lead work. It wasn't until I saw this trend on forums did I even know it was a thing. Again each their own and do what you like/want but I highly suggest a simple solution of dialing in your amp with your guitar volume rolled off a bit, find a nice rhythm volume and that way when it comes to a solo or lead you can just roll up your vol depending on what you need, a little extra oomph or up to blowing the front row away. Roll back down once you're done wanking.

Off topic but in the same vein, dial your amps with your guitar's tone knobs rolled back some, that way you can dial in some extra brightness etc etc.

Just my :2c:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Ivan H, steveb63, Mystic38 and 5 others like this.
  9. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Would an EQ up front work? Set the Level up louder and step on it come solo time?

10. VERVEHAMMER

VERVEHAMMER Member

Pull pluck both the D string and the Big E simultaneously detuning the E to match the D.

Using a 1.52 mm Clayton Extra Heavy, pick a few sick harmonics off the big D string Zack style then glue your eyes on the girl's glistening bongo drum tits-in-a-tight-tank-top at the front of the stage, then.....wait, uh... what was the question? : )

jhs5150 likes this.
  11. mustafa

mustafa Member

This works only if you are using very low gain. With high gain, volume control only increases the gain not volume. The only solo boost solution at high gain without using a loop is a mid boost pedal last in the chain (before time effects).

12. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

2 ideas come to mind, a foot switchable attenuator (Weber makes them), and the other a pedal called the Mad Professor Underdrive. I have the Underdrive, I think it does a pretty good job, set your lead volume and gain on the amp and step on the Underdrive for your rhythm volume and gain. :yesway:

Another idea comes to mind, the Bad Cat Unleash, its an attenuator with 2 foot switchable volumes and effects loop its frickin genius, but you'd have to pull 2 power tubes and knock your amp down to 50 watts for it to work, it only supports up to 50 watt amps. :yesway:

Lastly if youre inclined, Metro makes the zero loss effects loop, they are very well known and have the best reputation, install one in your amp. :yesway:

13. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

sounds like you need a boost on the back end, not the front. have you thought about trying new speakers? ones with more sensitivity and are brighter, like Vintage 30's.

14. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Waza TAE is what I do but it is expensive and some don’t like the reamp thing. I love it—you have and can control boost, delay, reverb and compression between pre and power all with MIDI no loop needed. Makes using a tube amp live almost as easy as a modeler.

15. marshallmellowed

I've emailed Bad Cat about changing out the load resistor to one with a higher power rating. Haven't heard back from them yet, so may have to call them. I believe that would allow it to be used with a 100w amp, as that's what's handling all the power dissipation. The unit is already fan cooled, so any additional heat should be easily expelled. Just a thought, would need to verify.

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  16. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I spoke to them on the phone about it, they said they are working on it but its at a stand still right now due to covid, they hope to have a V3 in about a year or so that can do 100 watt amps. :yesway:

17. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

EDIT... forget my earlier reply... it's swedish midsummer, (Google it..).. and I'm drunk... have fun everyone..

18. marshallmellowed

Yeah, I remember reading that, which got me to thinking about the load resistor. In any attenuator or load box, Bad Cat or other, the load resistor power rating is what determines how large of an amp can be connected. Just thinking out loud...

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  19. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I'd second the Bad Cat Unleash. Works great for this!

20. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member