Lead 100 Mosfet?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by brandonman, Jun 4, 2010.

1. brandonman

brandonman New Member

Hello! I'm curious what you guys think of the Lead 100 Mosfet. My local music store I do business with currently has one of these priced at 250, and the owner said he'd give me a deal for 200 since I've always bought there :) I told him if I did decide to buy, I would be in tomorrow morning first thing, so my word is on crunch time ;D Anyways, I'm curious what everybody thinks. I can tell it's got a lot of potential to get *LOUD*. The tone felt good, but it didn't have that feeling of "Wow... it's perfect!" You know that special quality where even without much fiddling, you know the gear is right. I think the tone could be dialed in pretty good, but I'm not sure. It's solid state, so that may be cutting out some warmth, but it didn't sound *too* bad. I'm curious if any of you guys here have experience with this? I think I'm really looking for somebody who does the gear thing a lot to spur me on. I don't know if I want to drop 200 dollars, but at the same time, I know I would really like to have a nice amp for my band I'm working on getting off the ground, and the high range is just out of my budget. Thanks guys.
    Oh, and the Harmony Central reviews all look good (Very few are poor reviews, but you always get those, even if it's the best thing in the world)

2. DSL100 Dude

DSL100 Dude New Member

DUDE!!! 80's throwback!!! BUY IT NOW!!!

Seriously dude, those were some way cool amps. Yeah, they were not tube but they jammed!

3. DSL100 Dude

DSL100 Dude New Member

Heck, if you don't like it I will buy it from ya.

4. brandonman

brandonman New Member

DSL100 Dude, I think you might like these amps a bit? :p As a note, I'm a blues and classic rock guy. Deep blues like Howlin' Wolf on up to the hard classic rock.

5. DSL100 Dude

DSL100 Dude New Member

Very cool! Yeah, I admit I have a bit of love for 'em. One of the guys I grew up with had one and he could play that thing like a dream. Of course back then classic rock wasn't classic rock yet. We all just jammed along with the records 'till we got it right. (I won't even get started on the timing and tuning issues we all had when we played together because everyones turntable ran at different speeds.)

The sound out of that amp should fit the bill for you. It was rockin' for back then but by today's standards it would be midgain at best.

6. brandonman

brandonman New Member

Cool :) If anybody else has any opinions, either similar or complete opposite, feel free to share :)

7. Wycked Lester

Wycked Lester Well-Known Member

I got one of those back in the early 80's and played the shit out of it for several years...i remember that several times other guitar players would come up and ask me what i was using cuz it sounded good (at that time the band i was in used screens in front of the amps to make the stage look completely clean) This one dude in particular came up to me one night just carrying on about how good my tone was and wanted to know what i was using, when i took him up on stage and showed him he about shit....a mosfet 100, just like the one he was using. He was like "damn dude, what are your controlls set on?" and i was like "10".....i didn't know any different back then,.. i just thought...bass, hmm....I'll take all of that.....and mids......I'll take all of that too....trebble, prescense, gain.....i'll take all that too.

It was a really good head though....it lived in a trailor and traveled all over for a good 6 or 7 years before i got derailed down the evil path of the giant 80's rack.....which was a VERY VERY VERY expensive, time consuming lesson that took me a LOOOOONG time to learn before eventually coming back to marshal some 15 years ago. I use all Marshall tube heads now but i still got my "little buddy" sittin up on a shelf watchin over me to make sure I dont get a wild hair and head down that path again.lol

I guess what i'm trying to say is "BUY IT"!!

diesect20022000 likes this.
  8. Keefoman

Keefoman Active Member

The Lead 100 Mosfet was my main amp for almost 10 years. Pretty close to the JCM 800 if you ask me, but not completely there. The clean channel was good and responded nicely to pedals. Almost tube-like there too. You get a good amp for almost no money, so it's definetly worth it.

9. Fixr1984

Fixr1984 New Member

I had one briefly, not bad sounding but made a few bucks so I sold it. The only concern I would have is if one of the mosfets would go bad. From what I had read they are hard to find now a days and very expensive. I havn't looked into it myself but that would be my concern.

10. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

For $200 you don't fix it; you buy another!

Ken

11. brandonman

brandonman New Member

Thanks for the input guys :) I called the shop owner up, and he took down the eBay auction (as he always does if an in-store person wants it), and he has it set aside. I'm busy today, so probably won't get a chance to pick it up until Monday! I'll be sure to post pictures when I get it :D

12. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

I used to own one (the 100 watt head) and it was very decent solid state head. I used it as a backup, but it's totally up to you how you want to use it. Overall, very good amp.

13. DSL100 Dude

DSL100 Dude New Member

NO FRIGGIN WAY!!!!!!

That was the one I was lookin' to get. Go Figure.

Enjoy it. They are a lot of fun

Oh yeah, and I was serious about me offer if you don't like it. ;)

14. Pants

Pants Active Member

I have one and my buddy's dad has one.. We both play acoustics through them (I have a Chet Atkins SST, he has a '68 Hummingbird). I really dig the clean for that purpose.. It stays clean.. These amps are kind of cool because without a footswitch plugged in, it runs both channels at the same time.. (In a good way of course!!!!) The distortion is pretty good too for a solid state, although I very rarely use it..

15. brandonman

brandonman New Member

Turns out right before he took it off eBay for me, somebody posted the buyitnow price... So I won't be getting the amp most likely. He says that the buyer has very low feedback, so there might be around 50% odds that he won't even pay, and in that case the amp will go to me. If the buyer doesn't respond by tomorrow afternoon, it's mine. Let's all :fingersx: :)

16. brandoz28

brandoz28 Active Member

hope you get the amp man! it'll be a bummer if you don't. i had a chance to buy one for 175 bucks...but didn't have a cab at the time so i let it sit at the store, got a smokin deal on a cab, i called the store, they said they still had it so i said i'll be there to get it in an hour or two. then went to pick it up (drove over an hour) got there and they said o we sold that thing 15 minutes ago.

needless to say i was a little mad

17. brandonman

brandonman New Member

Well store owner is going to wait until the guy emails him back. So no telling how long... eBay policy says if it gets past 7 days, then transaction does not go through. So either I have to wait until then or until this guy emails that he isn't buying, or pays. We'll see...

18. jitees

jitees New Member

Brandonman.....check eBay yourself......these heads in good shape frequently go for $100-$125.......you might be able to save a few bucks...

19. brandonman

brandonman New Member

But would that include the cabinet as well?

20. nadsatrebel

nadsatrebel New Member

Quick question: Does anyone remember the Marshall Lead 100 mosfet that was maybe half as tall as the ones you typically see? It was just as long, black tolex covered enclosure. I had one in the mid 80s and when I google search it the mosfet in the normal full head enclosure comes up.