Reaction score

We completely gutted GH50L, then we put into it our preamp circuit, furthermore we brought in extra features:
- presence control with selectable frequency
- mid-shift - variable feedback
- poweramp limiter
- all tube footswitchable series FX loop with both send and return level adjustment

Share Your thoughts :D

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

More to come...

Thanks for that. Both vids. Sounds great! Power amp limiter is very interesting and quite useful I'd say. Can get real throaty sounding with the mid shift. Especially when down tuning or 7 & 8 stringed wood I'd imagine.

:eddie:

Last edited:

hellraiserball77

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new to the forum!
my experience with this amplifier has not been so good, occasionally it always has a lot of pastiness in the bass strings, it does not matter with which cabinet it is used, the bass sounds out of tune and flaccid, after years and years of struggling with this head it was taking me terrain, but it is not an easy amp to maneuver, it does not receive the pedals well either.
and on the other hand, at least for me, it doesn't sound like a jcm800, the marshall roars, it's more crunchy and doesn't paste.

Moony

Reaction score
I really liked the old Laneys (GH and VH series).

But I noticed that plasticky sound quality with their newer releases, too, especially with the Ironheart series and the newer GHR series (those black/red designed ones with that tacky frontplate - they are already discontinued because they didn't sell well).

Tatzmann

Reaction score
GH amps were a major drawback to the
previous AOR Amps. The non boost
Pro-Tubes were standard Marshalls and therefore the best of the bunch.

The original GH sounds kinda crappy at low volumes, the Master needs to be atleast at 4 for the frequencies to even out.

But many amps behave like that.

After that point it becomes very usable.

To me they sound close to the 800
channel switchers, which also need to
be turned up good to get acceptable sound.

It still ranks about 15 places higher on my
list than any 900 or 2000.