>

Klon Centaur

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by axe4me, Jan 31, 2021.

1. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

I am completely disinterested in using solid state distortion with valve amplifiers. I bought an EHX Soul POG awhile back and found the Soul Food side to be totally useless. I ended up selling the pedal. Now, I know the Soul Food is not a bona fide Klon Centaur but I doubt the real deal would be that much more impressive. If I need clean boost, I engage my LPB-1. For distortion, I engage my English Muff'n.

2. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Try the Horse Breaker double pedal from Ceriatone. If you want a Klon pedal I think they make the best. It works great as a clean boost or to push an amp into a great drive tone. The Breaker side I like even better, great blues drive tones, unique sound that comes from the old Marshall Blues Breaker pedal. It’s like having 3 sets of drive from your amp. You have your amp, then the amp with the Horse side or the amp with the Breaker side or with both sides at once. (Lots of distortion then.) For the folks that say they use a dirt pedal for just a clean boost or just a little drive, I can’t believe way more people aren’t using this pedal, it works great for that type of stuff. But it can do a lot more from crunch to great lead boost tone as well as some nice blues tones. I’m not big on dirt pedals but I must say this one is pretty cool and a keeper.

This is the one I just got, $250 for 2 outstanding pedals. I like the BB best for it's tone, like the name says it's great for blues, much more like a pushed amp's tone than a dirt box. I think there is something for everyone in this pedal. Although it can and does push the amp into distortion, it retains the tone of the amp much better than most drive pedals. That is one of the reasons I don't care for them, but this one is different and should be checked out. If you are into metal or just can't get enough distortion then forget it. But if amp drive distortion and great tone are your thing give it a try.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    jimmyjames likes this.
  3. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

@HOT TUBES 70 builds a great Klon style OD. He built me one. We call it the Dark Horse. I like it a LOT.

I like to run it hot and clean.
    IMG_20210222_215436245~01.jpg

jimmyjames likes this.
  4. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Early on, I had both the gold and silver centaur from Bill (and thought they sounded pretty much the same -splitting hairs) and I really liked it (them) for Fenders. I do not know about other Marshall's, but I thought it was not a pedal I would choose to hammer the front end of any Plexi. I did not care for what it did to the flubby Bass frequencies at higher volumes. IOW not as tight. YMMV

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021