>

KISS Goes Meat Loaf...

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by AlvisX, Oct 13, 2021 at 11:11 AM.

1. AlvisX

AlvisX Garage Guerrilla Gold Supporting Member

That time KISS got all "conceptual"
    BUT , check out Ace's tone though !!!

Gene using a 1959 ?

2. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

Not my fave time period, but I cannot blame them- They were trying to stay relevant and find a place in a music world that had completely moved on from the glam rock 3-4 years prior.

They lucked out with the hair metal of the 1980s. Gene and Paul especially had the perfect hair long before and removing the makeup and costumes (in exchange for the horrid costumes of the 1980s scene) legitimized them for many music critics of the time. They likely would not have survived otherwise.

That said-despite all the amazing players who have run through the band over the years, I'm all about that 1974-1977 period with the 4 original guys who were out there pounding the pavement to better their game and prove themselves. Hunger for success was the key factor to quality of output prior to the introduction of MTV and resulting changes to the music industry.

3. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

Ralph & Millie...two of Kiss's biggest fans...

:applause::rofl:

4. StrummerJoe

I always thought Gene looked seriously uncomfortable and out of place without the makeup and persona.

5. AlvisX

6. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

I suspect he did feel that way. But losing the makeup and platforms was the right move for the time.

StrummerJoe likes this.
  7. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

I'd not heard that song since the 1980s....no $hit. Probably on Headbanger's Ball.

I was late to coming to terms with KISS. In the 70s I remember watching them on late night TV, and thinking "cool" and "these guys are scary and weird". But I loved the spectacle and the heaviness. My brother was a DJ at his college and he had a huge LP collection, and "Rock and Roll Over" was in his milk crates- I used to sneak it out of his room and play it on my record player.

Then as I started to become a guitar player in the early 1980s and was ooohing and awwwing over some of the heavy hitters, I fell into the "these guys can't play" mentality, so I avoided them for a long time. As I matured and musically went back full circle to 60s and 70s heavy rock, I fell in line. I still struggle with their 80s stuff, but I do that with EVERY band- I just don't find that most 80s guitar music (music, not the playing) holds up very well today..some does, but most of it is cringe-worthy- KISS included. IMHO of course.

Mitchell Pearrow and AlvisX like this.
  8. StrummerJoe

Probably, but at the time I was a teen and remember thinkinking BLECH! Cover it back up!

I grew up on kiss in the 70's. Had the lunch box in first grade in '78. Mrs. McKee was mortified...told me they were devil worshiper...the whole Knights In Satan's Service thing. lol

9. AlvisX

I was 12 in '75 ,just the right age to be under SOME influence
    The older guys I knew ,especially musicians , thought of KISS as some bubblegum sh*t

I thought then , that they had good riffs and singing
    1977 , Christine Sixteen was an "older woman "

As I started playin though , I was way less in tune with KISS
    I think KISS Meets The Phantom was the Jump The Shark moment where a lot of my age group bailed
    By the time Dynasty hit with the disco beat ,everybody was done.

Unmasking was the re-invention they needed , although I didn't pay much attention ,til my roomie got this album and wouldn't stop playin it .

Made me go back and revisit the brilliance of real KISS. For the last 3 decades, as a musician / songwriter , I really dig original KISS for great riffs/tone/writing/singing

10. StrummerJoe

HAHAHA!!! It was so awful it was great! I still have a VHS copy somewhere...
    kiss3.jpg kiss2.jpg

Now if I could only find a VHS player...lol

AlvisX and jeffb like this.
  11. Riffraff

Riffraff Well-Known Member

Yeah, that movie was a hell no for me even then. It's the worst.

Alvin and I are the same age. I discovered KISS in '75 when I was 12 as well. I found Dressed to Kill in a phone booth. It was my first rock album and it kicked off my life long passion for music. A few months later I turned 13 and got my first electric which was a horrible "Telestar" guitar with frets so sharp they made my fingers bleed. It was $60 and came with an equally as terrible little solid state amp.

A kid I knew in school who was a huge KISS fanatic had started playing bass the same year and we hooked up to jam. KISS was the perfect cover material for a couple of 13 year old budding musicians in the mid '70s. Cold Gin & She where the first 2 tunes we learned. Paul & Gene always came up with good hooks.

Since a big part of KISS was the visual there were always loads of pictures of them in magazines. Seeing ACE's Les Paul and Marshall stacks gave birth to my life long gear lust. The following year I got a $150 black LP Custom copy which was a big step up from the Telestar but still not the best guitar with it's nylon bridge saddles and incredibly microphonic pickups. I slapped a set of Super II's in that thing and rocked it for the next 3 years in 3 different bands before the fret wear made it unplayable and I had to get a real guitar.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 7:57 PM
  12. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I had many friends that were Kiss fanatics . I did buy the DBL Live 8 track.
    But I had also been a big UFO fan along with few more, but when I found
    Sad Wings of Destiny ,, Bridge of Sighs .
    Boston , the Nuge , Kiss was just another band with a gimmick.
    But their early work was the best to me.
    Cheers
    Mitch

Drinkingdeath01 likes this.
  13. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I was never a Kiss fan.

I do like Ace.

He seems like a fun guy.

Gene, on the other hand, rubs me the wrong way.

Too $ hungry.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.