Kinda Want A Vintage Modern :)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by ken361, Oct 1, 2021.

1. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

So half the forum can complain about the price while the other half complains its not as good as the big iron???

gregr likes this.
  2. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Get a SV20, drop in some KT66's, and you'd probably be pretty close, tone-wise. You'd also actually have 2 inputs/controls, which I'd personally prefer over the single input and "Body" and "Detail".

3. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I put a offer in today on the 50watt head so will see

wntbtw, Trelwheen, gregr and 3 others like this.
  4. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

The VM body control is a bit different than the SV20’s normal volume and detail control has no bright cap and operates at a noticeably higher frequency. This amp was not designed to sound like a Plexi (JTM or SLP). The sound is all its own.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    Mitchell Pearrow and ken361 like this.
  5. marshallmellowed

Very aware of the VM design, I have one. I've run my SV20 with KT66's, and it's not a huge difference in tone from my JTM45 or VM, more a "feel" thing, as the JTM has a tube rectifier. Circuit details aside, the biggest difference with the VM (IMO) is the master volume. So, if you think I'm trying to say they will sound the same, no, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying, if a guy wants a 20w VM, which doesn't exist, he could get "close", tone-wise, with a SV20 and KT66's, which would also be "close" to a 20w JTM, which also doesn't exist (at least in Marshall form).

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

When the body control is dialed up the VM is heavily scooped or has a large midrange hump depending on the mid boost switch. This isn’t close to an SV at all and changing out power tubes isn’t going to get you any closer.

I’m betting you don’t own a VM.

7. marshallmellowed

And you would lose that bet. Try reading a little, before commenting. You can spout what you "think" all day long. I've done a direct comparison, have you?

8. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

I’ve done one better by modding the VM to line up the body and detail controls to that of the SLP.

If you don’t hear the scoop I don’t know what to tell you.

9. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

No complaints from me.

Any of the naysayers can send me their Vintage Modern, I'll be happy to take one for the team.

scozz, Neptical, gregr and 2 others like this.
  10. marshallmellowed

Not "one better", and you can tell me nothing more, which would be perfect. See ya...

Trelwheen likes this.
  11. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

My opinion:
    The VM's are an excellent design, and Steve Dawson who designed them is a brilliant designer who applied care and insight to every part. I really don't think that any part needs to be different. I like to design things myself, and when I see something that has been so thoughtfully worked out by someone who really knows their stuff, I want to keep it intact to preserve the vision.

But some say its not loud enough, some say its too loud to use at home. Some don't like the volume jump between modes, because they hope it will work as a channel switching amp which it is not. On channel switching, I think when it came out 15 years ago, it was intended as a super-versatile single channel amp, but many buyers were not ready to get back into single channel boxes. But that has swung around now to some extent, boosted by the Studio Vintage and Origin models and others by other makers.

But its a versatile design and you can adapt how you use it to get what you want. For me, I've settled with it as follows, with my VM combo :

The master volume needs to be up about 5 or 6 to get the power section working. Can go higher, depending on what is being fed in, even 9 or 10 but about 6 works best for me. For rehearsing, small gigs or practice, that's still too loud for my use. It has a PPIMV, which is very useful for controlling in the range 4 and above, but below that, like many such circuits, it thins out the sound a bit by cutting out the negative feedback, which is taken from the end of the circuit after the PPMV. (this is exactly why I got into attenuator design, and the M and M2 designs on the Workbench thread were designed specifically around measurements and analysis of the VM to keep its tone at any volume, although they work great with many other amps. If you want a low wattage VM, you are invited to build that for $100)

The main tone controls are for subtle tweaks, but the real action is in the Body and Detail knobs. These together are some of the most powerful tone-shaping controls you'll find on any amp and have a profound effect. For most uses, detail will be above body, I like about 7 and 5, but there's no bad settings.

i use LDR mode for everything. Is a really great pedal platform and my two favorites are a Boss OD3 for thick rhythms and a Guv'nor II for JCM'ish crunch

I don't often use the mid-boost, but its worth trying, at which point all other settings should be reconsidered

Need to set the right loop level. My Hardwire pedals are designed to cope with the higher +4db setting, which is best if you can run it.

The reverb is quite a nice but restrained plate emulation, best used for a bit of always-on 'verb if you want it, but I get bigger reverb sounds from a pedal

Overall it's a keeper!

12. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Well the first offer was declined I offered 100 less for a 1200 dollar amp the second one I offered 50 less for it he accepted it for 1150 shipping he wanted 200 which is crazy hope it works out and arrives safely.

13. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

GregM, Mitchell Pearrow and ken361 like this.
  14. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

15. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

16. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how many ohms the speakers are in the 425a cab? I have 1 speaker that sounds weird only when driving it with a pedal like a treble booster.

Georgiatec likes this.
  17. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

May need to replace it.

18. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Was it only for the head ??
    That’s a great looking pair.
    Ken are you going to be getting rid of any of the other amps you have ?
    Or are you going to let the collection grow ??

19. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

I love the color. The cab ain’t too shabby either.

ken361 likes this.
  20. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Just the head yeah keeping my other ones, going to try it through the SC cab see how it works dont really need the big cabs anymore for home. May just get a 112 closed back I know crazy but it might work. The other was really nice also it was just retubed with all Gold Lion tubes. Should of just paid the 1200:) love the purple and purple light looks cool as hell lol