Keep breaking strings on a Floyd Rose

PowerTube44

Reaction score
If I was you I would give consideration to replacing the entire thing with an official FR from FR. That seems to be a problem solver in many cases. I have never bought a guitar with an FR that wasn't an official FR because all the posts I have ever read about FR problems usually end up with the FR not being an official FR and the user getting them replaced by an official FR.

That's just me though. I would like to hear what others have to say.
This has been my experience, as well. There's nothing like the real thing. The real Floyd's baseplate is hardened, and most of the clones don't do this. Some of the clones have super-thin plates, also, which doesn't help.

One exception is the Schaller Floyd copies. Since Schaller of Germany makes the real Floyd, the quality is there.

I've heard good things about the Ibanez Lo-Pro, but I haven't tried one.

sdn25

Reaction score
This has been my experience, as well. There's nothing like the real thing. The real Floyd's baseplate is hardened, and most of the clones don't do this. Some of the clones have super-thin plates, also, which doesn't help.

One exception is the Schaller Floyd copies. Since Schaller of Germany makes the real Floyd, the quality is there.

I've heard good things about the Ibanez Lo-Pro, but I haven't tried one.
The bridge I have is a Schaller lockmeister, its mentioned in the OP

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Update: broke the D string, its a new set of strings (a week old) I have included a picture of what the break looks like. It seems like the solid core broke and the nickel winding unravelled. The fact that a wound string broke on a new set tells me something is wrong, I had also sanded the saddles with 2000 grit to remove any burrs. Are the set of strings faulty? because I had bought a batch of elixirs and all the ones that broke were in that batch.
That is VERY possible. If they have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for who knows how long they may have deteriorated, even though they are coated.

I would try a different brand or a "fresh" pack.

I dunno at this point...I'm pretty darn aggressive and I don't have these problems. I use Ernie Ball regular slinky 10-46 and have been for over 30 years. As a tech/builder I've tried every string under the sun,

John Pearse make really good strings but cost more.

YMMV

I hope you get this solved so you can get back to rockin'!

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
The first thing that comes to mind is that you're possibly over tightening the lock blocks (highlighted below). They just need to be snug. Do not over tighten them against the string.

After that I would have to say something is wrong such as burrs as mentioned above. Assuming you bought the bridge new, contact Schaller and give them every possible detail. It may very well be a warranty issue if you bought the unit new.

You should not have to sand, file, or lubricate anything to keep your strings from breaking. Generally speaking you should be able to practically beat the shit out of things while playing so I don't think it's your technique.

View attachment 110782
100%

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I presume most string makers will receive the same steel right ? If so wouldn’t all brands be facing similar issues ? I hope this doesn’t become like the tube industry where NOS strings are better than new strings :(
No. Not all alloys are the same.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
As a side note, I hate Elixir strings with a passion. Carvins ship with Elixirs, and when I got my first Carvin a few years ago, I was thinking, "It's true what everyone says. Carvin guitars are nice, but the pickups suck."

No matter what I played, it sounded like there was a blanket over the speaker. I did some A/B comparisons with other guitars and they sounded fine. I chalked it up to the pickups because everyone says they suck.

But then I did something on a whim that changed everything: I changed the strings to my usual, Ernie Ball Super Slinky in 9-42. Holy cow! That guitar came to life!

I've also tried Elixirs on acoustic. Same result. Dead, lifeless, no soul. I switched back to D'Addario's and it was night and day.

Now on the Carvin, it's a double whammy:

1. Elixirs sound dead and lifeless.
2. Elixirs are known to last forever.

Therefore, I can't help but to wonder how many people bought a Carvin, decided that it had no soul, and either traded or sold it, never knowing that it was the shitty Elixir strings.

They advertise how long they last, but what's the point of strings lasting ten years if they sound like hot garbage?

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
As a side note, I hate Elixir strings with a passion. Carvins ship with Elixirs, and when I got my first Carvin a few years ago, I was thinking, "It's true what everyone says. Carvin guitars are nice, but the pickups suck."

No matter what I played, it sounded like there was a blanket over the speaker. I did some A/B comparisons with other guitars and they sounded fine. I chalked it up to the pickups because everyone says they suck.

But then I did something on a whim that changed everything: I changed the strings to my usual, Ernie Ball Super Slinky in 9-42. Holy cow! That guitar came to life!

I've also tried Elixirs on acoustic. Same result. Dead, lifeless, no soul. I switched back to D'Addario's and it was night and day.

Now on the Carvin, it's a double whammy:

1. Elixirs sound dead and lifeless.
2. Elixirs are known to last forever.

Therefore, I can't help but to wonder how many people bought a Carvin, decided that it had no soul, and either traded or sold it, never knowing that it was the shitty Elixir strings.

They advertise how long they last, but what's the point of strings lasting ten years if they sound like hot garbage?
I concur 100% concerning Elixir strings.

Some folks love 'em though :shrug:

Crikey

Reaction score
So I have this Schaller lockmeister 6 on my Charvel, the bridge is only about 4 months old, no visible wear except some sweat marks, but I keep breaking strings at the saddles. I read that the saddle may have burrs etc but the surface is shiny. Context: I break a string almost every 4 days, its got to a point where its really driving me crazy. most common culprits are the E,B,G and D string. Any guidance on what I could do would be amazing. I use elixir 9-42s.
Its the angle or you are heavy handing it on the saddle which is causing string seperation
Increase string guage

Crikey

Reaction score
I think I’ve fixed the issue, been running new daddario coated strings for about 2 weeks under extreme stress and no breakage ! I believe it was the strings after all.
Great string
Used to have issues with my usa strat eating strings at bridge
Changed bridge to teflon and no issues since. Decades ago,90’s lawd

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
I can't stand coated strings even though I like the sound of 2 week old strings that have been well played. Doesn't matter though, whatever works for you. Hopefully you've figured it out.

sdn25

Reaction score
I can't stand coated strings even though I like the sound of 2 week old strings that have been well played. Doesn't matter though, whatever works for you. Hopefully you've figured it out.
The new D'addario coated strings are leagues ahead of elixir, check em out, they retain the clarity of uncoated and are in fact much louder. the coating is not as thick as elixirs but that's a tradeoff im willing to make since they presumable last for just above a month. They feel a bit slicker to uncoated but not as severe as elixirs.

Jimi-C

Reaction score
Update: broke the D string, its a new set of strings (a week old) I have included a picture of what the break looks like. It seems like the solid core broke and the nickel winding unravelled. The fact that a wound string broke on a new set tells me something is wrong, I had also sanded the saddles with 2000 grit to remove any burrs. Are the set of strings faulty? because I had bought a batch of elixirs and all the ones that broke were in that batch.
Hmmm you might try some neck relief , if you have a straight edge to check the neck curve and string hieght . the strings might be too flat to the neck and or saddle , something is causing metal fatigue at the same stress point , while looking down the neck from the head stock . loosen the truss rod 1/4 left turn and see what happens " lefty loosy , righty tighty " if your adjustment is on the bottom.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
singapore, uncoated strings tarnish within 2 days and becomes unplayable in a week.
try to wipe your strings down after each use. coated strings just
dont cut it in a lot of cases. use a good string cleaner.

Latest posts