>

JVM410 OD1 Orange - Gating sound when pushing input

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Monstercastle, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Member

Hey Marshall-nauts,

I have a JVM410H and OD1 Orange is where I spend most of my time. I've been auditioning some of my drive pedals through it to push the front end a bit. I'm finding that I have a kind of a weird artifact that "rings" out like an envelope around the primary guitar tone that decays out after I hit a chord or note and mute it quickly. The best way to describe the tone is a kind of gated or reverse reverb type tone that rings out for just a second after I mute the primary note or chord. If I'm not using a drive pedal it's either not there, or if it is is so faint that I can't notice it with my old tinnitus riddled ears. Reverb on the head is off, and I have no verbs or delays on in the loop when I do this.

I've noticed this with an EP booster, Tumnus Deluxe, OCD V1.4, and an Oxblood, so it's not unique to any one drive. I'll see if I can grab a clip next week and post it as it's hard to explain it in words, but was wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this? The other way I would describe it is like there's signal that is backing up and "clears" the gain stages a few milliseconds after I stop producing signal from the guitar. As I'm typing this it just occurred to me that I need to try this with a cable, and not my Line6 G10S wireless, to see if this is something digital from the wireless unit that's getting boosted by the drive pedals.

Thoughts?

2. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

Any sort of compression/limiting on in the chain? On the Line6?

3. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Member

Not sure on the Line6 Relay unit, but I don't think so. But thanks, this got me thinking about the ISP Decimator X that's sitting right after my tuner.

Signal chain is Relay wireless, Strobostomp HD, Decimator X, EP Boost, Tumnus Deluxe, Boss MD500. I think this may be the decay on the gating algorithm on the Decimator getting amplified by the boosts after it. My reason for putting the Decimator X at the front end was that my noise is all stuff getting picked up by the pickups in any of my guitars. I have a water meter outside my office on the exterior wall, my work computers, etc. I'll rework the signal chain and put the Decimator X last, and I'll bet that solves or calms it down.

Trelwheen likes this.
  4. renips

renips Well-Known Member

Try putting the decimator in the loop.

Trelwheen and Monstercastle like this.
  5. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

Spiner ?