JVM410 -At Low Volumes-

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Dickie, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Dickie

Dickie New Member

I currently looking at buying the JVM410,I love the versatility of it and the awesome tones!

But, seen as it is a tube amp, I'm worried that it will lose its tone at lower volumes. :( And would only be able to thrash it when Mum and Dad are out :D:D

So if anyone could shine some light on the situation, any comments would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks.

2. Xiderpunk

Xiderpunk New Member

Truthfully you will lose tone at lower volumes, there is little escaping that. Any 100w/50w tube head starts to wake up in tone when the volume is pushed past 3ish. Whilst it may sound reasonable at lower volumes you certainly won't be getting the best from the amp.

Pushing volume above 3ish will require either very distant or tolerant neighbours.

If your intention is to mainly play it at home I would advise you to consider a solid state amp which likely will have a headphone output for playing late at night and still sound good at low volumes. If you buy a tube head and are not gigging with it or going to rehersal studios then I think you will find you won't be able to use most of the times you want to.

If you are set on a tube amp then there are solutions such as attentuators but I don't have any experience of these, hope others can advise you.

3. Dickie

Dickie New Member

Ok cheers.
    The idea for the amp is for the gigging side of things, to escape from the 'mushy' feel of my current solid state.
    Thanks again for your advice ;)

4. amplifier

amplifier New Member

Fuck it, if your folks are paying for it HELL YEA go for it. That thing will sound way better at low volumes than any SS amp.

5. the pup

the pup New Member

I currently have 29 amps in the stable (as of today) and the JVM (an unexpected gift from my wife) is my favorite low volume amp to play...and I do no know why...but it is.

I suppose the MV is effective for this purpose.

6. Dickie

Dickie New Member

I wish my Mum and Dad were paying ;)
    29 amps? :O That sounds like a wild party :)
    I had read, somewhere, that the JVM had circuitry to 'counter' the loss of tone at lower volumes. Just wondered how true that really was. And from all I've heard I can't wait to buy my own ;)
    Thanks all again!

7. the pup

the pup New Member

Sounds like B.S. to me...but who knows? The circuitry for the channel Volume and global MV controls seem very simple and straight-forward via the schematics.

8. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

for an all tube amp, the JVM is great at low volumes... the DSL i had, was good on low volumes too

9. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

I use an AVT20 for practice at home. Single channel, but with a valve pre-amp, this little combo has tons of gain, and a great tone!, and it's much more manageable than my 410 at low(ish) volumes.

10. DragonSarc

DragonSarc Active Member

i used to have a TSL and first i thought it was good even on low volume due to the V.P.R. it drops to 25watts but when i got my JVM wow its way better on low volume I could play the amp when i get home around 2 - 3 am and wont disturb any body, I have an MG amp but i rather play the JVM. :hippie:

11. Xiderpunk

Xiderpunk New Member

Personally speaking my DSL is not appreciatively better than an MG at volumes from 0.5 -> 1, which is a world of difference when volume is raised to 3+. In fact I have never heard any tube amp that sounds as good on vol 1 as it does on vol 3+.

The question asked was "I'm worried that it will lose its tone at lower volumes. And would only be able to thrash it when Mum and Dad are out".

My answer is the same that any tube amp IMHO will lose tone at low volumes.

12. Dickie

Dickie New Member

Ok wicked :)
    But when giging, and I can run more volume through the amp. I should hear a vast improvement?
    Sorry about all the questions :S

13. stryker59

stryker59 Member

the jvm does well at lower volumes but i agree with xiderpunk...i like it much better when the volume is up and imo it comes alive the best tonally around 5-8. thats got some decibals though so i use a hotplate to lower the overall volume, and i dont care what steelhorse says about it!!!!:D

14. DragonSarc

DragonSarc Active Member

stryker59 do you go past -4db or -12db? I know any thing lower changes the sound drastically.

15. stryker59

stryker59 Member

i typically keep it on the -8db setting but ill throw it on the -12db setting if its later when everyones home...as for the tone change, what makes you say that?

16. DragonSarc

DragonSarc Active Member

i mean switching it to 16db it kinda kills the tone on my tsl havent used it on my jvm yet tho

17. stryker59

stryker59 Member

oooh i gotcha...if you arent liking the tone from the tsl at -16db attenuation then i doubt you will like it with the jvm at the level either...

18. wizard_37

wizard_37 New Member

Ask yourself what am i buying the amp for? Do you gig, do you play out door gigs, or do you just want to jam in your room by yourself, once you answer those questions then you can go from there.

19. flat5

flat5 New Member

If you want to really hear it shine you wont be able to until the parents are gone or you find a rehearsal space

20. 155

155 Member

If your intention is to mainly play it at home I would advise you to consider a solid state amp"

not good advice!!!