JVM Smoother transition between modes Any good tech?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Ruben Sansa, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Ruben Sansa

Ruben Sansa New Member

Hello,

i use the OD1, the crunch and clean from an JVM410h, not the OD2, but switching between channels are a bit 'laging', i just read the JVM410HJS have smooth transition (why?).

is there any mod i can do to match this thing? change the midi thing inside the JVM? wire the channels diferent? im just interested in this thing, not any sound mod diference (but of course im open).

just searching a good tech that can do this (if it is possible to do it).

im also interested in buy an JVM410C and if this thing can be done and works fine, do it too.

thanks.

2. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

This was discussed on the old JVM forum, and if I'm remembering correctly, the amp designer (Santiall Alverez) stated that it would not be something that could be easily added to the standard JVM. I'd say, if you can't live with the switching time, you might look for a used HJS.

3. Ruben Sansa

Ruben Sansa New Member

Shure, i just live 10 years with it, and knowing its just a relief, shure i can buy an used HJS, but by now i just want to scale down my gig, and thinking about an 410C and i can't made a choice.

in my mind i just want a 410CJS xD

4. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I've owned both the standard 410H, and the 410HJS, and honestly, I never payed any attention to the channel/mode switching time. I know the HJS is supposedly faster, but I never considered the H to be noticeably slow. Does the lag you're experiencing seem to depend on the number of things being switched simultaneously (loop on/off, channel, mode, master volumes...)? Also, have you tried using a MIDI foot controller to do the switching? Might be faster than using the standard footswitch. You also might experiment with different cables between the amp and footswitch (shorter, better quality...), as they are using what is basically an instrument cable as a serial transmission cable.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  5. Ruben Sansa

Ruben Sansa New Member

i contact to Marshall, and they tell me the midi are the same on H and HJS, the diference are more on the board with diferent channel structure and gates in the place of the reverb.

i just tried whit the G3 (the gig rig) go straight into a midi cable 4m, and the same bit of lag than the footswitch, its useable, i change clean+reverb to OD1+ reverb no master no fx, like 60% of the time.

i just go like G3 to strymon timeline to H9 to strymon big sky and then the 4m midi cable to JVMh and its like a nigthmare, maybe its something between 500ms to 1000ms.

i just buy the midi thing kenton MIDI Thru 5 to go to a diferent midi pedals and i dont want to go cascade and then the JVM, maybe this thing go well.

i just find a good midi cable like Cable Midi Gold Series by Roland 4,5m, maybe i will buy and maybe do the work better, i can try this thing recording with some DAW to se the diferences because im not always as sharp to notice 50ms or 80ms or 120ms.

i read from internet the fast you can go on the JVMH its 50ms to 60ms and the HJS arround 10ms.

i know 50ms its useable, sometimes i dont notice it, but if you know something can be improved, why dont try to go for it?

6. Redguitar

Redguitar Member

If a midi cable works, then it's very quality or price have no bearing on how fast a device switches.

I found that at a gig, or even rehearsal, there is no notice by anyone, as far as channel switching delay issues.

7. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Hello.

When you describe switching between channels as a big "lagging," are you using the JVM footswitch to change channels, or are you using the JVM's front panel switches to change channels? The reason I ask is there is a small difference in how the footswitches on JVM footswitch operate depending on the status of the JVM "FOOTSWITCH/MIDI PROGRAM" switch.

The following excerpt (in bold) is straight from the JVM4 manual:

When the front panel FOOTSWITCH / MIDI PROGRAM switch is off, the footswitch operates in safe mode and executes the commands the moment the switch is pressed down.

If you enter the FOOTSWTICH PROGRAM mode (LED red) you will be able to program the footswitch but nevertheless the footswitch and the amplifier will remain fully operational with the only difference that the commands will be executed when releasing the footswitches, as opposed to the normal mode.

I've tried using both options and found that there is a tiny bit of "lag" but nothing that couldn't be solved with adjusting my timing. I use the "FOOTSWITCH/MIDI PROGRAM" button with the LED off/"safe mode" because it better suits my needs; when used in that manner, the switching with the JVM footswitch is lighting quick.

Still, there could be something wrong with your footswitch, your amp, or both, in which case a trip to the amp tech might be in order.

Good luck with your amp. Let us know what happens.

8. Ruben Sansa

Ruben Sansa New Member

i know this, i just use (sometimes, like 30% of the time) some distorsion pedals (super fast footswitch), and of course i am ajusted to this bit lag from the jvm (in safe mode) but the pedals are super fast and the jvm are like 50ms and sometimes i forget in what preset and song im in so its a bit pain in the ass just remembering if i have to press a bit earlier or in time (i use programable footswitch and sometimes the distrosion comes from pedals and sometimes from the JVM, i want to concentrate on the song not if the chorus or verse part are from the jvm and i have to press a bit earlier the footswitch), again, is useable not a big deal but is that thing i want to improve just to forget about it.

so by now, today i just bought an JVMHJS by second hand here in Spain (Catalonia) near to my town (2hours trip with car) but im bit afraid because the price is waaay lower than i expected, the seller just tell me in one gig one beer just split on the valves vent and have to change all the valves (now works fine, but i have a bad feeling), so by now its on a local tech house to have maintenance and see if something its wrong with this HJS, im afarid because something could go wrong and maybe i coun'd find parts from the amp itself.

and for scale down thing i just find the 1936 lead cab and im thinking to buy one new so i can scale down the amp, have great marshall sound and imrove the footswitch lag.

my 4x12 its an M412A.

9. Ruben Sansa

Ruben Sansa New Member

by the way, someone who knows why the 1936 number on the 1936 lead or vintage cabs?

10. Ruben Sansa

Ruben Sansa New Member

and of course my JVM410H its 10 years old but works fine and great, and have the valves from the day 1, the paint on the valves are a bit melted because the warm of the tubes but sound great, it made like 30 full gigs and lots of rehersals, just a light thig for this beast, always on the cover for the dust etz...

this is because im afraid on the second hand HJS, i dont mind to spend a bit more if the tech see some thing a bit nasty or strange, but marshall can ofer that part? on a amp witch does not manufacture right now?

11. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

I never really understood this problem until recently....there is a small period when switching channels when the amp is muted for about 50mS, which is hardly noticeable - and is there to prevent a "Pop" when changing channels, which would otherwise occur....

HOWEVER - I was discussing this on another forum with someone who was complaining about lag switching channels, and he sent me a video of the problem. This is quiet interesting, because there was a noticeable lag from him pressing the switch to the channel changing - a much longer period than the "Mute" period! I don't know what the problem was (and I didn't ask about the FOOTSWITCH/MIDI PROGRAM switch position) - but If memory serves, the problem went away when using a midi-controller to switch channels instead of the Marshall footswitch!

This is a picture of the switching showing the two elements to the lag:

upload_2021-1-31_18-34-42.png