JVM - how's the loop?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Alfi27, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Alfi27

Alfi27 Member

Hey guys,

I have a JVM205H on order that I was originally planning on combining with some sort of multi effects unit, but after reading quite dubious things about the fx loop I got cold feet... Haven't canceled the order yet, but at the moment that is what I'm planning on doing.

If I do get it though, I will run the multi effects unit in the loop only. And I have to say I like that the loop can be bypassed completely, even though it wouldn't really be necessary if it had a good buffered serial loop a la Friedman - but here we are. The unit will either be a Boss MS-3 or a Fractal FM3, most likely the Boss though. Both of them can be dialed in to "kill dry" which is the best way to run parallel loops from what I understand.

My main preset will be completely dry so it will be like plugging straight into the amp, but I'm worried there will be issues as soon as the fx loop is engaged. And if that's the case the entire point of a "swiss army knife amp" completely disappears. So I'm wondering, do any of you guys have experience running a JVM (any except the 410HJS) with a unit like this?

2. Benighted

Benighted Member

The FX loop of the JVM series is its weakest point. It is very finicky about the pedals you have in the loop and the in/out levels that they use. It is possible to dial a reasonable balance between wet and dry to avoid volume changes, but it requires quite some time. I was never able to dial so there is no volume change when the loop is set to 100% serial. Also, it is worth checking the second FX loop depending on the pedals you have.

3. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Hello.
    I've used the Boss MS-3 with my 410H. IMO most of the internal/built-in effects in the MS-3 worked sounded pretty good in the JVM effects loop except the distorted effects (I never like overdrive/distortion/dirt pedals in any effects loop). MS-3 is easy to setup and use in the JVM serial/parallel effects loop. Using pedals in the MS-3 built-in loops worked as designed. Using pedals sometimes presents some issues but that's separate from how the MS-3 works with the JVM in the effects loop.

I haven't used the Fractal FM3, but I have used Fractal AXE-FX 2 with the 410H. Though the AXE-FX 2 is not the same as the FM3, they both have some similarities regarding customization of features and setup. AXE-FX 2 was easy to use with the JVM effects loop. My main experience is using AXE-FX 2 for effects only, which gave me great results (I believe FM3 can be used in a number of different ways including effects only). Quite honestly, the better design and build quality effects system, the better results and better experience (in general). Fractal designs their systems for very detailed customization, which made AXE-FX 2 one of the very best effects systems I've used with my 410H. I haven't heard any negative comments and/or concerns about the FM3 in general or in relation to the JVM, so I suspect you'll have a really good experience getting it to sound like you want, and will be easy to use in the JVM effects loop.

Finally, the JVM effects loop have a good design and are easy to use once you understand the concept of the serial/parallel design (which is not a hard concept to grasp). I've used various stomp/floor pedals, multi-effects systems, and rack effects systems: no one system was perfect, but most had enough customization features to make it very compatible with the JVM.

Good luck with your decision.

4. KidBlast

KidBlast Member

I've got the JVM205H, I do not recall a way to bypass the fx loop (may be with midi?).

in my case I'm just putting a delay thru it, so nothing like what you're planning on.

It works fine in that situation.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  5. MatFnEhUK

MatFnEhUK Active Member

I don’t have experience with those multi effects units you mention, but I’ve found that the series/parallel loop doesn’t like digital pedals much unless the mix knob is set to maximum wet, at which point there’s a slight volume drop. I keep the loop turned on in all modes and the mix knob maxed, and I have no issues. I just have to turn the volume a little higher than I would with the fx loop turned off.

6. Redguitar

Redguitar Active Member

On my JVM410H I use an old Digitech Studio Quad for cho, pha, dly, & rvb. That unit is fed by the signal from effects loop send. All my FX are sending back a WET signal only, into the effects loop return. Standard stuff there. My effects return mix is set to mostly dry, about 8:30 on the dial. So I don't have any issue with losing volume of the dry signal when the loop is engaged. My FX unit output (wet only) is cranked up, hot enough that I don't need to turn the effects return mix anymore wet. It seems to balance out quite well for the FX I use. I would never think about using modeled amp sounds in this configuration, unless I turned up the effects return mix to fully wet, and left it on.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.