JVM Forum Backup

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Benighted, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Benighted

Benighted Member

The JVM Forum was a major source of information and inspiration for me. Sadly, it is now gone.

I was wondering if there is a cached version or a backup of it somewhere. I tried the Wayback Machine (web.archive.org) but only handful of the pages has been archived.

Thanks

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

What did you find here?

3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Benighted likes this.
  4. Benighted

Benighted Member

There are backups of the main forum areas and few of the topics, but it is hard to use, because there is no indication of which link is cached and which is not.
    I tried backups from different years (2019, 2018), but there is no much difference.

The google cache is much better, but each topic has to be searched for individually.

5. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Wow.
    End of an era!
    :sadwave:

I tried to join on several occasions over the past year or two, but no go.

LPMarshall hack likes this.
  6. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

I really wanted access to the workbench bit of that forum.

7. Redguitar

Redguitar Member

After the JVM forum went down late last year, I did download some html versions of some of the pages, of some the mods, when it was back online in the spring. I don't know if there would be any issues sharing those threads on this forum. The very first one is a master volume mod I came up with and delved into. It was in response to the second topic of the following list. I would reckon that I can certainly share that one. If the moderators are ok with me posting these threads, then I will if anyone can use them.

master vol mod
    Master volume mod question - JVM Forum.html
    The low Gain OD1 Orange and Red Mod - JVM Forum.html
    Jvm Mods | Page 3 | MarshallForum.com.html
    Gain Reduction OD 1_2 orange-red
    NFB mod.html
    Negative feedback adjustment knob - JVM Forum.html
    The removing some Compression mod - JVM Forum.html
    Mid-Shift Control for clean channel on a JVM 410 - JVM Forum.html
    Suggestion for the "Mod catalogue" - JVM Forum.html
    Resonance mod - JVM Forum.html
    Stiffness mods - JVM Forum.html
    Mid-shift Control - JVM Forum.html
    Negative feedback adjustment knob - Page 3 - JVM Forum.html
    The Plexi "one wire" cascade mod -3rd stage bias adjust knob - JVM Forum.html
    Low Mid_Bass Boost Mod - OD1 and_or OD2 - JVM Forum.html
    Choke Mod...The Easy Way.. - JVM Forum.html
    Help on removing PCB mainboard - JVM Forum.html
    AFD MOD + Choke MODE??? - JVM Forum.html
    The essential cheap and easy mods you should do *imo* - JVM Forum.html
    OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod or pre-tubes to tame OD2? - JVM Forum.html
    Negative feedback adjustment knob - Page 14 - JVM Forum.html
    The JVM Forum Mod Catalogue - JVM Forum.html

Galef and rick16v like this.
  8. rick16v

I'd love it if you could share these :yesway:

9. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

JVM? I had one of those amps. Weren't they a decided failure six months after release? I couldn't get rid of my 410H fast enough.

10. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

I have one modification that transforms the parallel/serial loop into a straight up serial loop. The mod is in the forms of a schematics image rather than a written description of the process. If the JVM forum doesn't come back, then I might post it soon (or you can hit me up on PM)

Note: last time I checked, the modification section in the JVM Forum was a "members only" section that could not be viewed without registering as a member (not sure why this was mandated since I had nothing to do with it). Anyways, if the JVM Forum ever comes back, you might need to register in order to access the modification sections.

11. Redguitar

Redguitar Member

I sent you a mssg.

rick16v likes this.
  12. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

post a sample below...

13. Redguitar

Redguitar Member

I tried. It's to much data for a copy & paste reply here. My apologies. I'm not super-tech savy on the old mac. Email might be the most workable way. No pics are available though.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  14. Redguitar

Redguitar Member

Did the emailed files work for you Rick? Hopefully so.

rick16v likes this.
  15. rick16v

They worked perfectly thank you again. Hopefully you got my email reply.

Much appreciated :yesway:

16. Redguitar

Redguitar Member

This is a MV mod I tried out. It works well.

JVM Forum

Post by bjornruiter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:22 am

Hi all,

This is my first post here, but have been registered and reading for quite a while! A lot of great mods, tips and tricks to be found!

I have tried to search the forum but couldnt find the answer to my question (if its already answered please let me know!).

I am looking for a mod that will make the 2nd master volume pot set a change in volume instead of being an independent master volume. Its hard to explain, but now, when i'm playing live and need to adjust the volume, I have to adjust 2 pots. I would like to be able to only adjust the first pot, and leave the Second pot in the same position, so that when you switch to volume 2, the increase/decrease of volume is relatively the same as before I changed the setting of the first master volume.

I really hope my question makes sense, im not a native English speaker, so its kind of hard to explain...

Thanks in advance for any answer!

Post by Spacerocker » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:35 am

Yes, I'm sure this is possible! You just need to separate the feed to the top of each pot, so that (for example) Pot 1 (=overall master) gets the pre-amp output signal (as usual), but the top of pot 2 is fed from the output of pot 1, so that pots are cascaded! Now the relay will switch between the direct output of pot 1 (as before) - but in the other relay state, the output will be the output of pot 2 (which will be a % of the output of pot 1). Thus the "Master 1" signal will be the old Master 1 output, but the "Master 2" will be anywhere between 0 and 100% of the output from Master 1!

Turning Master 1 up or down will affect both the Master 1 and Master 2 levels by the same amount!

I quite like this mod! The only difficulty is that the pots are PCB mounted, so you might have to cut a track, or "lift" the leg of the pots in order to make this change! Good luck, and tell us how it works!

Post by Greg_L » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:58 pm

There is a much simpler way to do this.

Just use a clean boost pedal in the loop. Say you have a TC Spark, EP Booster, or any clean boost. An EQ pedal. Anything that has transparent signal and adjustable output. Put it in the effects loop, set it so it's however louder you want your lead volume to be, and then stomp it on and off as necessary. Your boosted shred solo volume increase will always be the same in relation to the master volume. Put your master volume anywhere and the boosted volume will always be the same relative increase. Boom. Done. No mods.
    My gear list? Do a search.

Post by jimsreynolds » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:02 am

Yeah, I get what you want here - to be able to turn up your overall volume level and have your other Master follow suit. It's a logical request and I always forget to tweak MV2 when I turn up at a gig.

Bear in mind though that the perceived volume difference between the two knobs can vary with overall volume level. It may be that what sounds like the right level of boost at one level (say MV1 = 3, MV2 =4) may not be very noticable when the amp is louder (e.g. MV1 = 5 may need MV2 = 8 to be appreciably louder.)

Personally, I would go down the Greg_L route in the first instance before committing to a soldering iron. One variation I might try though is setting the volume level with the pedal on to be lower than the volume when the pedal is off. That way, when the master volume is run high, I am not pushing the ouput stage on the Marshall any harder than it was being pushed before. It may be that the sound of the output stage being pushed works for you (and many people think it is) but if not, this variation will get you around that. Just remember that when you see the light on the pedal: you are on the 'lower' volume level.
    JimBOB

Post by redguitar » Sun May 17, 2020 7:38 pm

I gave this mod a try recently, and it does exactly what was requested. I use MV2 as the master, and MV1 is set around 8. MV2 is on 2 for the garage...3 or 4 for rehearsals, and about 5 for a bar gig. I seem to have MV1 dialed in ok ratio-wise, to MV2. No $$$ were spent on this. It is worth the effort.

Post by redguitar » Mon May 18, 2020 8:54 pm

I cut the trace of the MV2 (VR301) center wiper output that normally goes to an input of RL301b, then used a jumper to send the MV2 wiper output straight to CN304, pin 3. I cut the trace of the MV2 input leg feed (from CN304 pin 1) and jumped the MV2 input leg to the RL301b common (that used to go to the CN304 P3). The input feed from CN304 P1 was jumped to the relay other input. I cut the trace between the relay common outputs trace (after the 2 common pins) and the CN304 P3

When MV2 is selected, signal feed goes through the relay, then on to VR301 (MV2 control). When MV1 is switched in, the feed goes through the VR302 (MV1) only (as before the mod), then output from that pot, through the relay, then into MV2, then wiper output. No matter how much MV1 is turned up, it will never be louder than MV2 (the master pot). If I set MV1 to around 8 (or around 80%), it will almost always be a good, close, slightly lower volume compared to switching to MV2. If you are playing onstage and need just a bit more overall volume, you only have to touch one knob and you are good for the rest of the night. The MV1 and MV2 levels will have the same adjustable difference in volume as before, except that MV1 cannot be louder than MV2 (unless one does the mod backwards, substituting VR301 for VR302, from how I did it).

This mod actually can be reversed. It doesn't change the tone. Once you have MV1 dialed in, you might not have to ever touch it again, MV2 is your master volume level.

Post by okgb » Wed May 20, 2020 9:04 am

Nice follow through, good work!

Post by redguitar » Wed May 20, 2020 6:23 pm

Thanks. In this pic the 3 traces I cut have sharpie marks next to them. 1 cut is hidden under the short horizontal jumper.

The jumpers are not spectacular at all, but they work.

Hopefully the pic or the link works. Ha!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nNwpkfFxxaiTHfiy7

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020