>

Jvm Depreciation

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by OdgeUK, Jun 18, 2016.

1. OdgeUK

OdgeUK Member

Hi Guys

I'm having real trouble selling an absolutely mint condition JVM410HJS head. I'm holding off selling it on eBay and have tried Gumtree and over 6 Facebook Music Gear selling pages (some of which are local and most of which have members over 1,000).

Have these things depreciated or what?! This is an amp which still costs £1,269 new and, when reviewed, was regular described as one of the best Marshall Channel Switchers made to date.

I can't seem to generate any interest at £750 and on eBay I've seen them sell for less than £650.

What does this say about the 'real' value of some of this stuff vs Marshall's pricing? Or perhaps the bias of Guitar magazines and review sites to give Marshall glowing reviews? Or perhaps a trend to smaller amps now? Or the Satch signature association putting people off?

Thankfully, I didn't buy this amp new myself and paid a relatively low price, but I'm struggling to break even, even on that.

2. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

Might be a combination of things:

• JVM is seen as a "modern" sounding amp whereas it is in reality a versatile amp that can do classic AND modern sounds JS version gets the same rep
    • The "sginature thing" "I don't want to sound like Joe so I'm not intersted" (wouldn't mind sounding like Joe personally!!!)
    • JVM is seem as too complex "ooh all those knobs"!
    • Trend to smaller amps and combos (partially understandable)
    • Trend back to simpler amps, and lots of transistorised pedals (completely baffiling, as far as I am concerned!)
    • High pricing on the JVM. When I bought my JVM410 in 2009 it cost me £850 new. Shortly afterwards, it underwent a series of price hikes!

Depreciation doesn't bother me, as I'm keeping mine! With a few mods, it is the best amp available for me, so I have no interest in selling!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  3. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

in general with the economics being as of today, we're still in a buyers market i'm afraid
    not many people can afford or justify getting an amp like this
    a couple years back, i probably would've bought it from you, but now it's a different matter

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  4. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    I paid £300 for a near mint 2009 Vintage Modern 2266 combo a few months ago. New price was over £800. If you put that into percentage of new value it's 37.5% (£800). Using the same equation if can you get above £600 for your amp it has to be seen as a result.

The Ozzk likes this.
  5. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

Realistically, £550 - £600 is the going rate. They just don't seem to hold second hand value.

The Ozzk likes this.
  6. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    A lot of new stuff is sold on credit to people who can't afford the asking price but can afford the monthly payment...even though they will pay more in interest over he the time of the agreement.
    This is the difference between price and cost. They cannot afford the price (£1270) but they can afford £50 / month over two years (£2400).
    If you have cash and the seller doesn't, but needs some fast, you are king and can always grab a bargain.

The Ozzk likes this.
  7. kebek

kebek Active Member

I fully agree with this, i purchase a new jvm410 in 2012. and i would like another but price went crazy up, The new price in 2012 is lower then used today, So forget it!
    • High pricing on the JVM. When I bought my JVM410 in 2009 it cost me £850 new. Shortly afterwards, it underwent a series of price hikes!

8. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

It's a great amp, but for somebody buying a second hand signature amp it's going to have to be a very specific buyer or a really great price. You'll likely have to be very patient with it unless you want to settle for a bad price, unfortunately. I'd say just keep it unless you need the cash or really don't like it.

9. maxxi

maxxi Active Member

if your not in a hurry I'd advice you to be patient. its probably going to sell over time for the price you are asking (or are hoping to get).
    if you need the cash fast, sell it for the first descent offer.

10. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

And this is the reason so many retailers are still in business. There is so much used gear on the market but for what ever reason folks can't grab $1000 out of their wallet so gear available on credit limits what they consider. You may have noticed the past year how aggressive the credit offerings are for retailers.... 0% interest, 36 months to pay, no payments for a year..... crazy.

OP, trading may be your best bet.

Georgiatec and The Ozzk like this.
  11. GuitarMutant

GuitarMutant Well-Known Member

I was hard up for cash and sold one of my two JVM201h amps. It took a LONG time, and I settled for $800 USD at that. I used the other one to track all my solos on an upcoming release, and forgot how well it recorded. I really only use mine to record solos, as I have a ton of amps and it's the only one that captures the lead tone I like besides my Legacy 3.

So I'll probably hold onto my other one, as prices are low right now. I'll just keep it in the studio. Pries will likely swing back up eventually, but the higher-priced items seem to move slowly now unless they're vintage and have a collector's market.

12. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

It's a buyers market.
    Why buy used when you can get it new for just a little bit more?
    New comes with a warranty, which is very valuable these days...

13. GuitarMutant

GuitarMutant Well-Known Member

Agreed. I buy used 90% of the time because prices are so dramatically low at actual sale prices. Way less than stuff should be worth.

14. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I love my JVM JS head. I might consider buying yours as a spare if you were local. I do often get the "too many knobs" comments from people that are not familiar with it

15. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

This! (patience). It took me several months to get the price I wanted for my YJM and 2555x, you just need the right buyer. I have an HJS, which I've thought about selling, and when I check prices on ebay, Reverb... from time to time, I don't see many come up for sale, and prices don't seem unusually low on most that have sold ($1500-$1900). I'm on the fence about selling mine, as I've been liking it more each time I fire it up.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  16. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

The point about warranty on these amps is very valid, they are relatively complicated and fixes may need wholesale board replacements or similar. Buy new and you ge the warranty, buy used you dont. The older simpler amps are an easy fix. The newer amps may be very reliable and if so that reputation will build, but it will take time.
    The same thing has happened to the second hand car market, the bottom has fallen out, whilst new cars are still selling (easy credit/warranty etc). Any fault and you need the appropriate computer to fix it. If you have cash there are real bargains to be found.
    If you don't need to sell I suggest you take your time.

17. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I do sometimes wonder how amps like this will hold up over decades. My '68 plexi is still going strong but it does seem more likely that the complex electronics of the JVM could become problematic over the years.

18. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

The JVM is one amp that is actually not bad, compared to many others. It still uses standard "through-the-hole" pcb components, and is a very straight forward and solid design. There are other amps on the market that use surface mount components, which would be much more difficult to repair.

19. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

When I need to move stuff on, I wait a few weeks, then reduce the price, and keep doing so until it goes. I consider my money dead if it is invested in a possession I don't want, that isn't going to accrue significant profit over time.

dslman likes this.
  20. Australian

Australian Green Beret Silver Supporting Member VIP Member

The JVM isn't going to hold its value much over time (here in Australia..). There are too many good amps being made. I'd have a hard time selling my JVM 410 today for much more than $1000. But vintage Marshalls here still sell for top dollar.
    Recently a JVM410JS sold for about $1400 on Ebay, and it was up for a few weeks.

dreyn77 likes this.