JVM and ES-8 integration

Claypoole

Reaction score
Hi friends!

New member here, so hello, thanks for having me and all that jazz. I've been the very happy owner of a JVM410c for a few years, and have recently started falling down the rabbit hole that is pedals and switchers. First of all, help. Secondly, a friend has lent me his Boss ES-8 switcher, which I can buy if I get all the things working, like the gear etc.

What I'm hoping for is a way to replace the standard footswitch with the ES8, and use it to switch both amp channels and turn on/off pedals through a single, dedicated unit. That means switching through the JVM's 12 channel options, and a bunch of pedals. Basically, I'm looking for something like this:

Channel 1: Clean channel green mode, reverb and chorus pedals on

Channel 2: Crunch channel orange mode, EQ and reverb pedals on

Channel 3: OD1 channel orange mode, EQ and overdrive pedals on

Etc etc. But I'm running into a bit of a brick wall when it comes to selecting the amp channels through the switcher, and would love some help.

I know that I can use the ES8's CTL1/2 input for footswitches, but it only has four variations (CTL1 on/off, CTL2 on/off), so not enough variance for a 12 channel amp. I've heard that I could use the midi functionality on the ES8 and the amp, but would that still work with standard, non-midi pedals?

I'd love some help, if anyone has experience! My googling hasn't unearthed much for me, sadly. Also, if there's a better spot for a post like this, please do point me in the right direction.

Cheers!

C

FracStrat

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sort of the Admin of the Boss ES-5/8 Users Group on FB ……
I’m happy to help……

Last edited:

Monstercastle

Reaction score
Don’t have the ES8, but you will setup the ES8 to send a MIDI Program Change to the combo. A unique program change for each amp “state” you want per button press. JVM manual has the steps needed on the amp, but it’s essentially programming the amp to listen to the various program changes you send. I do this with my Helix in 4cm.

Redguitar

Reaction score
I would look beyond the es8, simply for more options on the fly (Control). There are some nice controllers/channel switchers out there that can cover most, or all of your switching and preset needs, even for budget options.

Presets should be counted on to always have the exact same example of sound as what was stored. The JVM can work with 128 presets, and still have on the fly loop/fx, switching per patch (common to all user desired, setup presets). The right controller makes it all happen.

Last edited:

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
@Claypoole :
I do believe that if you connect the ES-8 to your JVM via MIDI, then you would be able to create presets on the ES-8 that would 1) incorporate a specific group of switches on the JVM, and 2) incorporate a specific group of pedals attached to your ES-8 via the ES-8's loops, such as your described in your.

The ES-8 manual and JVM manual each should be able to help you setup both devices for MIDI program as well as MIDI channel selection and other settings. I remember some people describing the process for setting up the ES-8 for MIDI with success here on this forum.

I'd also look into other options as Redguitar mentioned. There are rack effects units and multi-effects units that can accomplish the same basic purpose as the ES-8. For example, I use a multi-effects unit that has built-in MIDI in/thru, built-in footswitches, built-in expression pedal, built-in delays, built-in modulation effects, built-in EQ, built-in boost, etc. I cut down on a lot of cables and all my effects settings are programmed/saved so that I can never loose a setting and have to reset everything.

Think about how deep you want to go down that rabbit hole and plan accordingly.

Good luck with your gear. Let us know what you decide.

Claypoole

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

wow - thanks so much for all the help and advice. I super appreciate it. I’ll look into the midi stuff (YouTube has been a great friend so far) for the amp and switcher, and, failing that, look into alternative hardware. I’m inclined to give the ES8 a solid crack because I’m basically being offered it for nothing (good friend can no longer use it) and it sounds like it CAN work, just requires a bit of fiddling.

I’ll keep you updated either way. Thanks again for the help!

FracStrat

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

wow - thanks so much for all the help and advice. I super appreciate it. I’ll look into the midi stuff (YouTube has been a great friend so far) for the amp and switcher, and, failing that, look into alternative hardware. I’m inclined to give the ES8 a solid crack because I’m basically being offered it for nothing (good friend can no longer use it) and it sounds like it CAN work, just requires a bit of fiddling.

I’ll keep you updated either way. Thanks again for the help!
Feel free to DM me if you want to ask any specific questions ……
The ES-8 is awfully versatile … There are so many cool tricks … We can cut down the learning curve in a big way !!
Btw …… Welcome to the MAF !
upload_2022-1-26_1-11-20.jpeg

Last edited:

Claypoole

Reaction score
Feel free to DM me if you want to ask any specific questions ……
The ES-8 is awfully versatile … There are so many cool tricks … We can cut down the learning curve in a big way !!
Btw …… Welcome to the MAF !
View attachment 101310

Thank you! Will definitely hit you up in the next few days, if that's cool. And thanks for the welcome. Everyone's been great so far :)