>

JVM 410h not as loud as my other amps

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by eljodon, May 11, 2021.

1. eljodon

eljodon New Member

I own a JVM 410h and is not near as loud as my Suhr PT100 and Friedman BE100. The difference is probably 1/2! Anyone has this issue? The amp sounds good but I use 2 amps, switching between them to get different tones. Anyone has this issue?

Sapient and tce63 like this.
  2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The one I once had was loud as hell.

Has it been modded?

Are the pre and power tubes all up to spec, do they need to be replaced.

Did someone substitute some other lower gain tube in the preamp section.

3. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Well-Known Member

I had a be100 and still own my jvm410h, something is off, jvm should be able to melt your face. Are you a new JVM owner or are you new. Could be effects loop settings.

4. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

When I owned mine I had a 20Watt Hand-wire "something" kicking my butt at an audition once. Pretty embarrassing.

Seemed the louder I got the more unclear it got too. His was LOUD and crystal clear and only on like 2 or 3. :(

5. jleftyy

jleftyy Active Member

Something is wrong. My JVM HJS will blow your doors off on 4. Easily competes with my 5150 and Triple Recitfier

scozz and MonstersOfTheMidway like this.
  6. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

@OP: I obviously can't say for certain because I'm not there in the same room as you listening to your amp.

But from my experience with my unmodified, standard 410H, the sound can be pushed to painful sound levels (even the clean channel/green mode can get wicked loud).

I've used my 410H along side an unmodified Mesa-Boogie Road King 2 head (which, like the 410H, has four channels, three modes per channel, and varying output power); when set to 100 watts, the Road King 2 and 410H are very similar in loudness. I've tried my 410H along side other well-maintained, unmodified, standard 410H and the loudness was similar.

Sure, things like tubes, speakers, cab design, etc., might on what OP is experiencing, but in the situations I've been in where almost all details were the same, 410H can be dialed in to viciously loud settings (when compared to other amps as well as on its own).

scozz likes this.
  7. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

I have a JVM410H and also an old 2203. They are both around the same loudness, i.e. ****ing loud!

Bear in mind that for the JVM to be as loud as a single channel amp, all the channel volumes would need to be maxed (since they set the level going to the Master Volumes) The other thing is that a JVM runs quite a lot of negative feedback. This means that for the same volume, the JVM will need to be about 1 digit higher than an amp with less neg FB....Flat out, however, they would be the same....

Failing these differences, if it is really quieter then it must be faulty....

8. eljodon

eljodon New Member

Thanks for all the responses!Yes I am new to the JVM just bought it 2 years ago. I didn't mind the problem using it in my studio since it still sounds fine. But now that I started playing live I need it to be as loud as my other amps. I never tried cranking the volume from each channel past 1/2. Perhaps the amp is different than my other amps? I run both BE100 and PT100 using the return volume as the main master and setting each channel at 4. With the JVM it has the main master(2) in front so I follow the same settings as my other amp. I use the series loop(or preamp/power amp) for my effects since I use an EQ post distortion. When I switch the effects loop and it still doesn't make the amp louder. I'll try the suggestions that all of you gave me. Thank you!
    I'm using an Ampete 444 amp switcher to switch amps and effects from each amp(and cabinets)

9. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Take effects out too to start. All of them. Can be all sorts of setting issies there. Don't look at the numbers to determine this, pot taper etc can change that. Put channel volume full up on each unit and sadly you cant tell how loud it is unless it is run to maximum. All should be similar.
    The Jubilee has a very long taper pot mit doesn't kick in till just after 5 on MV. The JCM800 4010 will kill it on 2 if Jube is on 5. But put both on 8? Same basic thjng.

Also the comment about neg feedback, very applicable amd noticeable.

Set JVM to proper volume by listening. Don't concern yourself where the numbers are.

In fact, If I was to compare my 50 watt Jubilee 2x12 combo on 3 or 4 and my JCM800 Studio Classic 20 on maybe 3 I suspect the 20 would kill it. It also doen't get hugely louder between 4 amd 6 amd 6 and 8. Jubilee does. Different pot taper.

10. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Well-Known Member

Definately good advice here. My 1958hw is pretty much on full blast at 3, after that (incredibly loud) it just adds a little more gain. I got to ask, what kind of music and where are you playing that you can still crank it? My last gigs were at a venue that the sound man liked louder amps and my JVM rarely got past aproximate drum volume. As in loud enough to here over the drums, but it could get WAY louder if I wanted. That sound guy allowed the loudest of all the gigs we did, including HOB. I think he would have let us get louder, but guitar cabs are so directional that it is impossible to have the mix sound good everywhere if guitar is cranked.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  11. eljodon

eljodon New Member

I crank my amps loud only in my studio and when I compared the volume of my JVM to my other amps(BE100,Pt100se,Soladano model JMP, Cameron model JMP and stock JMP) they all sounded louder.

But thanks to the advice from many people that posted, I figured out what it is. The JVM is different than all my other amps. I didn't know you can crank the volume of each channel higher than 4 like some of my other amps. Also the effects loop was the 2nd issue. I use a Ampete to switch all my amps through MIDI so I used a Suhr reactive load on the speaker out of the Ampete and ran all the amps through my Mesa 2 90 for testing and I was able to make the JVM as loud as the other amps!

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  12. eljodon

eljodon New Member

Thanks to everyone for giving me find out the problem. I bought the JVM a few years ago and never used it as often so I never had the chance to play around with it. Since I need a heavier tone for a new band I'm playing with, I started using it more so I wasn't familiar with it.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  13. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

Glad you got it figured out!