shawnmay

Reaction score
My loop seems to cut out on high volume. sounds like it clips(definitely pushed past its limits) The amp totally dropped out on me after a loud volume test. I cycled the power switch and everything stiff works. Phwef!

I have my serial/parallel fx loop set on 10dbv and almost fully wet. The chain enters a isp decimator - chours - eq pedal - looper - back to amp. Is this right?
In the front of the amp im running a tube screamer and tuner.

Note: I'm now noticing hissing more so than usual on loud volumes. (Going to try batteries instead of my power supply for pedals today) any input would be . Thx in advance

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
1) Take out all your effects, tuners, etc., out of the signal chain and try playing the amp at different volume levels. If the amp is still cutting out, then you can at least rule out your pedals and cables.

2) Tube(s) might be malfunctioning. If you've never changed your tubes, you might want to consider doing so. Even if your tubes are new, it is not unheard of for a new tubes with low hours of use to malfunction. But since you're experiencing these issues on loud volume levels, I'd start by checking your power tubes.

You can also check your preamp tubes (the effects loop signal is mixed into circuit via a preamp tube), but I'd start with power tubes first. Take out the current tubes and replace with tubes you know are in good working condition (also, after you do the switch, don't forget to check bias and rebias if necessary). If the amp's sound quality is much improved, then you probably solved your problems.

Good luck with your amp. Let us know what you discovered.

shawnmay

Reaction score
1) Take out all your effects, tuners, etc., out of the signal chain and try playing the amp at different volume levels. If the amp is still cutting out, then you can at least rule out your pedals and cables.

2) Tube(s) might be malfunctioning. If you've never changed your tubes, you might want to consider doing so. Even if your tubes are new, it is not unheard of for a new tubes with low hours of use to malfunction. But since you're experiencing these issues on loud volume levels, I'd start by checking your power tubes.

You can also check your preamp tubes (the effects loop signal is mixed into circuit via a preamp tube), but I'd start with power tubes first. Take out the current tubes and replace with tubes you know are in good working condition (also, after you do the switch, don't forget to check bias and rebias if necessary). If the amp's sound quality is much improved, then you probably solved your problems.

Good luck with your amp. Let us know what you discovered.

shawnmay

Reaction score
So i discovered my od 2 channel hisses and squeals on 10. I then turned it to 9 and upped my master volume instead, which worked? (But why?)
I also found my loop dial set at 90%wet so i switched that to 100% and it seems to have taken care of my issues. Not sure why but its a win for now. Ill play it for a few hours tomorrow and give it a good test

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
So i discovered my od 2 channel hisses and squeals on 10. I then turned it to 9 and upped my master volume instead, which worked? (But why?)
I also found my loop dial set at 90%wet so i switched that to 100% and it seems to have taken care of my issues. Not sure why but its a win for now. Ill play it for a few hours tomorrow and give it a good test
OD2 is an extremely high gain channel. Where is gain set? Any high gain amp will hiss and eventually feedback when set too high or standing too close etc. The channel volume is also sending more signal to your loop. Master does not.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
At the simplest, it appears to may be a dB issue, the signal is too hot goin through amplifier/channels and what is in the effects loop.

shawnmay

Reaction score
At the simplest, it appears to may be a dB issue, the signal is too hot goin through amplifier/channels and what is in the effects loop.
Now my channel gain is at 9 and my master was as high as 7 with no issues.
I now realized i had my cancel gain and master cranked when it shut down BUT i was plugged into the wrong port on my chours pedal in the fx loop (volume sucker lol) i feel i got away luck when it fired back up ok

shawnmay

Reaction score
In theory, adjusting the db dial in the fx loop would help?

mickeydg5

Reaction score
In theory, adjusting the db dial in the fx loop would help?
Well if a port were setup for a particular input/output level then it will make differences.
My thinking was that you could have been driving one of the pedals in the loop too high or driving the effects RETURN to high causing clipping.
You also mentioned 10dB so I assuming the pedals in the effects loop are designed for that level so as to be less susceptive to clipping.
As long as you figured out a good combination all is right. :yesway: