JVM 410C Unpopular?

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I recently got a 410C and its good. It isn't as good sounding as my 1923C (same cabinet and speakers but basically a limited edition DSL50 combo)...but whilst the DSL beats it on tone (IMO) the JVM is the ultimate in versatility...and I knew this before I bought it. Got it for a great price (£550) and so no regrets.
Now for me I've pretty much always gigged 2x12 combos. I Prefer an open back cab as well for a more airy open sound. Hearing it onstage? Amp stands are a very easy cheap solution get it off the ground and you'll never fail to easily hear it. Heavy? Well...if you can put wheels on a 2x12 or 4x12 cab then you can do the same for a 2x12 combo. Or use a sack trolley. So weights a none issue. For me physical size for fitting in the car and storing at home is more important. Lots of great famous players have used 2x12 combos since forever. They work perfectly fine. Sure if you like the thud of a closed back cab then that's going to affect your choice. I once had a DSL50 head and 1960AV cab...was great but the cab was too big for my car and lets be honest, lets take looks out of the picture for a moment...are they really that important? Looking like a rock star whilst playing to 40-100 people down the local pub IMO is overkill. Its totally unnecessary. I would happily do a head and cab again, but it'd be a 2x12 for sure. I like how Orange give you a split back panel so you could do open or closed back on your cab too..that's a nice touch. But an easy mod to do with any Marshall/other cab, just knock up a half sized back and screw it on and you've got an open back cab. You'll hear that better onstage and it won't be beamy melting the faces off the first few rows of victims. I mean punters down the local pub.
Yep that is usually how things work for me too. Angle back w a Standback stand and put casters on the 2x12 combos.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
WHEN I win the lottery (it will happen :fingersx:) there is a JVM215C with my name on it.
Then I'll get Zilla to make a matching 112 cab for my other G12B-150.
That's probably the only JVM two speaker setup I could manage to get upto my loft conversion.
Perfect match for my 40CR stack.

john1221

Reaction score
Interesting… Did you and half the forum happen to have DI load boxes for a few hundred bucks that you could run a 100w head through headphones a DAW or a PA with or without a speaker cab of any size back in 2012, bc I sure as shit don’t recall the convos being tossed around ten years ago.

And of course if you actually processed what I read, then you would have to agree that a combo is completely stupid under your own terms, considering “portability, practicality, and flexibility”… as well as the fact he owns all the gear necessary to achieve that balance. Anything else he could possibly need is a DI box. Unless it is a dedicated (read: stationary) bedroom/studio amp, combos are deader than disco and a horrible purchase idea -particularly to liquidate the same head in order to acquire.

Should I sell my flagship head and 212 cab to get an unwieldy combo is NOT a 2020s question given the myriad of affordable tech out there to capitalize on “portability, practicality, and flexibility.”
I totally get what you are trying to say. I understand that there is so much tech out there that I have no reason to complain as a musician in this day and age. BUT, I am a young student that lives with several music loving friends and the fun of cranking an amp with actual speakers is an experience that can't be replicated. I've tried loadboxes and DI recording with IR's but I actually prefer completely digital plugins if I am going that route. However, there will always be a space in my rig for some variation of an amp/speaker. I was just asking for you and the others on this forum who have much more experience than myself to differentiate the combo versus head/cab technicalities.....

john1221

Reaction score
WHEN I win the lottery (it will happen :fingersx:) there is a JVM215C with my name on it.
Then I'll get Zilla to make a matching 112 cab for my other G12B-150.
That's probably the only JVM two speaker setup I could manage to get upto my loft conversion.
Perfect match for my 40CR stack.
Sounds like a killer rig! After messing around with the 410, I realized I actually don't use the OD1 stage as much as crunch or clean. I guess I could have gone for the 205 route but one can never have too much distortion!

V-man

Reaction score
I totally get what you are trying to say. I understand that there is so much tech out there that I have no reason to complain as a musician in this day and age. BUT, I am a young student that lives with several music loving friends and the fun of cranking an amp with actual speakers is an experience that can't be replicated. I've tried loadboxes and DI recording with IR's but I actually prefer completely digital plugins if I am going that route. However, there will always be a space in my rig for some variation of an amp/speaker. I was just asking for you and the others on this forum who have much more experience than myself to differentiate the combo versus head/cab technicalities.....
There is no replacement for displacement. in your case your strategy should 100% revolve around your bought-and-paid-for head.

Your question should be rather you keep your 212, add an additional cab or two (112/212 variety) or sell/trade your 212 for 1-2 112s. I lived in a 9’x10’ single dorm with a 4100 JCM 900 half stack. A little insane for the accommodations, but I made it work.

In your case, a DI (or other digital solution of your preference) is the only thing you need to add to a rig that is already light and portable enough to move for jam rehearsals or gigs with enough power to compete with drums, etc. With that, you can record and practice silently as well via DI and DAW, and literally have all your bases covered without having to buy/sell/trade a bunch of crap to (sort of) keep what you already started with.

Redguitar

Reaction score
In the interest of saving some of my back, I matched my 410H to a cheap enough Hartke GH410a with celestions. I'd prefer other speakers, but I can lug this thing up & down stairs. I put castors on it. Everything stacks up on it very sturdily, for fast setups.

1yLqvGA31HTHpqomCTjQX55dv001Q_8M2uwUYFQYAmWcd9Rr1hrEqtihZkBAcyX_T-MiicCW5OFk-12PFzWXg7V4qWpVv2eedHlIluyn0-Zr5SpYv6XMp_GTWTIT9L02ZtVjbHhwyzZzmO5QqPGQtUAk78EmooRGlNxVM86-4uejpz-i9wBco8TNGc4pGtPZHYBfm22_N7ry-G_QhhQonhvUUZ6XQVZd2zlEWNNrHNQ4seyyOCf-2_IM-Cc0TarVL5tCII1F7bCnFu_ks5fTO1pGt99DwykefJtC62clY9wAhkUHo-H62Yqfh85-3qLyQTf4qd1si384PCJ9_HCqO2VZiBkYoeOdq7Qlaoa9oXx2Uf_o18h2aXMS21-pBKA5bfK47EuL39FvtfiwAd3r9TN6R16b9AJIz3aCYA6AvC2Jw4vn9QnTBsKuEZSe-Kat5cOrYISIYenfPCEK2cgkLFzZAjMnM7zT3RmvgQg6wDCjbPOB8Y5DKXqBPiIpY2dXQ2FZenfGPWR_fhzqpOnxHr9BxWLoIgqZP5HSx4y47knOeTu_4-jKvdKNaqWVEJZC9MrSO7e-UyeWWU_kpXk5CL0JEGqQyYFx06lPHytfwEca3lwj5lRZt4pd0n0bB5ziiCH5nPa6EEUC3QfVbPLP3ZMt_s30xnbLFMdt_Jy5z8Jk-umPgMYjHyjVxepxw_aLWqMBCXIzKDE9QUJ9vS1A5cL8=w695-h926-no

bWD03pAUhiqNXoJsZrGLoI-3DEZIwWhwwUhncSHkCzRAAybl-UjBOZgSnxVGWNnSSCPlNllbf-iFHXY3hYvaSGEneGtWEcPzAaKRaUpotSbWTG0HQGM7XIuVKzbVfSpmO7JdkVgGzr1zRpEp6PFzPpo_27iDsUQ9sELfmqTYKSIWp4wsYzrcXEqjAZig8SxKVLmPyrPMp_2hOZpNgvdAGGWNY4rpXstAqSmBx0C5u7ary0DPPE54e63EDCo-XWgQu1OwfwKU9jUySd4BgI8g236mmKW4Az2iYOAxXEt99DyMKWA3MqZX1Bmx1OArz3S-BgbUq1olHxjGohVz9HN922P9tjGVMOv1IoPvtWv_8E04q3A8JxshmUUvC0EozwOLwYARHydIZWNdwg5JRjDhDudCPTGWVQJNwpZc5KoODqcGJTeEIV-TlMbUMdm_fsBaNw2bO2RqmDMbEuLqCgIs0xIeAPt1tw__yqBqk3kxlZb69OtYvIczVkvRZrgfeZd8CCc3haX-3pvDgVTr77Pl_PhnIPLSHO7JvjrwnTKLN5CwWFuFygqxrwP92ZrRowiqN1DbEvj35vVP-3NUFjn8JbZ8errtwiD1Mr-2Tz7Fl_MJ5c8Py0xFDEdDCFB042R9r-8VRFkj_gihp416qXIliWJ6ONPaNDqkS776xdBue5E23N7hEKbLDYnquAvlCTQJlYBQ0sMYKH8M2Y53w6bqFxwA=w695-h926-no

john1221

Reaction score
Reminds me of when I first started gigging at dances as a teenager. It was around 1972 and I had bought a brand new Fender Super Six Reverb combo. Anyone familiar with that amp, not to be confused with a Fender Super Reverb?

It’s a 100 watt, 6-10” speaker combo weighing in at approx 95 lbs! I was around 16 years old att, driving a 69 4- door Chevy Nova, I use to stuff the amp on its side, into the back seat of the car, and it reached from door to door, Lol!

It’s a behemoth of an amp and difficult to lug around, especially going upstairs at 2nd floor venues.

The amp came with removable casters on the side of the so it could be rolled on its side! Haha!

Here’s a pic of me with my 71 Lp Deluxe at a rehearsal in the early 70s, and you can see the amp behind the cymbals,…

Here’s a better pic of one I saw on Reverb,…

That is hilarious. I had the chance to buy one of these any heavily considered it because of how awesome/ridiculous it looked. Hey, after all, I am young and vanity is big part of my rig :) Anyways, I passed because I'm a metal guy and that refrigerator probably wouldn't be the best for my style of playing.

john1221

Reaction score
There is no replacement for displacement. in your case your strategy should 100% revolve around your bought-and-paid-for head.

Your question should be rather you keep your 212, add an additional cab or two (112/212 variety) or sell/trade your 212 for 1-2 112s. I lived in a 9’x10’ single dorm with a 4100 JCM 900 half stack. A little insane for the accommodations, but I made it work.

In your case, a DI (or other digital solution of your preference) is the only thing you need to add to a rig that is already light and portable enough to move for jam rehearsals or gigs with enough power to compete with drums, etc. With that, you can record and practice silently as well via DI and DAW, and literally have all your bases covered without having to buy/sell/trade a bunch of crap to (sort of) keep what you already started with.
That's a great point thanks. After a few years of selling/trading gear, I've learned it's a huge huge pain in the ass most of the time. Going forward, I'm only making "planned to keep" purchases. I used to always justify half-minded buys with the fact that I can always resell or trade. Not always the case

V-man

Reaction score
That's a great point thanks. After a few years of selling/trading gear, I've learned it's a huge huge pain in the ass most of the time. Going forward, I'm only making "planned to keep" purchases. I used to always justify half-minded buys with the fact that I can always resell or trade. Not always the case
Precisely why all my guitars are Gibson or USA Jackson, and amps are rare Marshalls. New is fun, until it isn’t and you have to deal w tirekickers