JVM 410C Unpopular?

john1221

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a JVM 410H and have been dialing it in and experimenting. It's a lot of fun and a great amp, but my biggest concern is that I am a student and am always changing where I live, what I do, and am just on my feet a lot in general. Hence, I can't carry around a 4x12 1960BV like I would in a dream world. I'm heavily considering trading the head in for a JVM 410C combo, but my question is, why do people seem to avoid the combo of this amp so much? There are so many listings for used 410C's floating around but the 410H seems to be harder to come by. Can't someone who wants more speaker interchangeability just use a 410C through their preferred cab and unplug the stock speaker connection in the combo? Yeah, I do agree having that massive Marhsall head looks really cool in any environment. (The head is almost nearly the size of the combo itself). But is there another reason I'm missing?

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
:welcome:

I'm unaware of any problems with the head or combos, though there may be, but I think people just don't like the combos because they're too heavy and awkward. To some it's easier to carry a head and cab, even a 4x12 which I don't understand. 2x12 yeah, but not 4x12. A combo is easier than the later imo.

Another consideration would be microphonics because the tubes are so close to the speaker(s). I've no experience with the 410C so I can't comment on that.

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

I'm unaware of any problems with the combo versions, though there may be, but I think people just don't like them because they're too heavy and awkward. To some it's easier to carry a head and cab, even a 4x12 which I don't understand. 2x12 yeah, but not 4x12. A combo is easier than the later imo.

Another consideration would be microphonics because the tubes are so close to the speaker(s). I've no experience with the 410C so I can't comment on that.
No issues w microphonics with my TSL or 6101 combos.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I recently purchased a JVM 410H and have been dialing it in and experimenting. It's a lot of fun and a great amp, but my biggest concern is that I am a student and am always changing where I live, what I do, and am just on my feet a lot in general. Hence, I can't carry around a 4x12 1960BV like I would in a dream world. I'm heavily considering trading the head in for a JVM 410C combo, but my question is, why do people seem to avoid the combo of this amp so much? There are so many listings for used 410C's floating around but the 410H seems to be harder to come by. Can't someone who wants more speaker interchangeability just use a 410C through their preferred cab and unplug the stock speaker connection in the combo? Yeah, I do agree having that massive Marhsall head looks really cool in any environment. (The head is almost nearly the size of the combo itself). But is there another reason I'm missing?
Do you have a 1960BV?
Perhaps the trade should be for a matching JVM 212, and keep the head.

spacerocker

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with the JCM410C, but you're right. Heads and a separate cab seem to be more popular! I have both and there are pros and cons for both:

Head and 4 x 12:
Pros:
Sounds great, depth, clarity, looks great on stage, easier to hear yourself, easier to move around (if on wheels like mine). The ultimate, really....
Cons: Takes up more storage space (but not much more than a 2x12), sound can be quite directional ("death-ray" syndrome!) Requires a dead-lift into a car or van, not "stair-friendly"

Head and 2 x 12:
Pros:
Takes up slightly less space in a vehicle (and in storage), lighter than a 4 x 12
Cons: Doesn't sound as good as a 4 x 12, harder to hear yourself on stage, harder to move (if not on wheels), can be quite directional

Combo:
Pros:
Very small (even the 410 version is smaller than a 2x12 cab), doesn't take up much space in vehicle, storage or on stage., comes with great speakers (G12 Vintage and G12 Heritage) Can be bought used a lot cheaper than a head and a cab. Can still be used with an external cab (with or without internal speaker), Saves time setting up.
Cons: Doesn't look as good on stage as a 4 x 12 and head, very heavy! (410 version), Doesn't sound as good as a head and 4 x 12. Combos sound different generally, with less projection, but more spread. In some ways easier for the rest of the band to hear you (sound from the rear...)

I bought my JVM205C to make playing small gigs and festivals (where a quick change-over is required) easier. Pre-wired and strapped to my rack it makes setting up on stage very quick! It sounds good in it's own right, and I tend to mic up anyway! However where space and time allow, my head and cab just sounds bigger, and better!

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
This is a 2010 question, not a 2020s one. Load box/DI with IRs make a home/live rig the size of a head and a box smaller than a nano PB. if you insist on cabs, you can get a 212 or 1-2 112 cabs and still manage far easier than a 212 Combo.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
hypothetically, a bv is what I would use to play my 410h. Currently am using a 1936v which is great but like mentioned by someone else, the 2x12 setup would just be more convenient in a combo package.
Belated :welcome: to the forum.
Not sure where your hypothetical convenience is coming from. :shrug:
If you already have a head & 212, try picking them both up at the same time.
Minus the top panel of the cab & bottom panel of the head, that's what the combo weighs.
I'd rather move the two separately, whether it was every so often as a student on the move, or even if it was on a daily basis.
I think you almost have the perfect rig for 100w Marshall mobility. :yesway:
Once you settle down, get the 1960 A & B for the full stack.

spacerocker

Reaction score
This is a 2010 question, not a 2020s one. Load box/DI with IRs make a home/live rig the size of a head and a box smaller than a nano PB. if you insist on cabs, you can get a 212 or 1-2 112 cabs and still manage far easier than a 212 Combo.
No - this is a question about portability, practicality and flexibility. The date has nothing to do with it....

V-man

Reaction score
No - this is a question about portability, practicality and flexibility. The date has nothing to do with it....
Interesting… Did you and half the forum happen to have DI load boxes for a few hundred bucks that you could run a 100w head through headphones a DAW or a PA with or without a speaker cab of any size back in 2012, bc I sure as shit don’t recall the convos being tossed around ten years ago.

And of course if you actually processed what I read, then you would have to agree that a combo is completely stupid under your own terms, considering “portability, practicality, and flexibility”… as well as the fact he owns all the gear necessary to achieve that balance. Anything else he could possibly need is a DI box. Unless it is a dedicated (read: stationary) bedroom/studio amp, combos are deader than disco and a horrible purchase idea -particularly to liquidate the same head in order to acquire.

Should I sell my flagship head and 212 cab to get an unwieldy combo is NOT a 2020s question given the myriad of affordable tech out there to capitalize on “portability, practicality, and flexibility.”

Spooky88

Reaction score
Interesting… Did you and half the forum happen to have DI load boxes for a few hundred bucks that you could run a 100w head through headphones a DAW or a PA with or without a speaker cab of any size back in 2012, bc I sure as shit don’t recall the convos being tossed around ten years ago.

And of course if you actually processed what I read, then you would have to agree that a combo is completely stupid under your own terms, considering “portability, practicality, and flexibility”… as well as the fact he owns all the gear necessary to achieve that balance. Anything else he could possibly need is a DI box. Unless it is a dedicated (read: stationary) bedroom/studio amp, combos are deader than disco and a horrible purchase idea -particularly to liquidate the same head in order to acquire.

Should I sell my flagship head and 212 cab to get an unwieldy combo is NOT a 2020s question given the myriad of affordable tech out there to capitalize on “portability, practicality, and flexibility.”
I own several combos, each one unique sounding in its own right. I have a Friedman BE100d with matching 4x12 cab as well. Not my favorite amp but very good all the same. I have as yet to hear any of the modeling crap and DI equipment touch my JCM 900 4502 when the microphonics are “chiming”. I run direct, no pedals and I have been called “godlike” during numerous sessions. It doesn’t get much portable than that for a 2x12 combo. If sound is what is inspirational to you, I’d say get the smallest tube amp that “fires you up”. If you want to play Taylor Swift or whatever is on the radio get a DI setup.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moving a 76 pound or 34 kg combo around isn’t easy. I’ve got an old 4104 which is a JCM 800 2x12 combo which weighs around the same weight

I’m pretty much just biding my time until a good opportunity to trade it in for a head arrises
Reminds me of when I first started gigging at dances as a teenager. It was around 1972 and I had bought a brand new Fender Super Six Reverb combo. Anyone familiar with that amp, not to be confused with a Fender Super Reverb?

It’s a 100 watt, 6-10” speaker combo weighing in at approx 95 lbs! I was around 16 years old att, driving a 69 4- door Chevy Nova, I use to stuff the amp on its side, into the back seat of the car, and it reached from door to door, Lol!

It’s a behemoth of an amp and difficult to lug around, especially going upstairs at 2nd floor venues.

The amp came with removable casters on the side of the so it could be rolled on its side! Haha!

Here’s a pic of me with my 71 Lp Deluxe at a rehearsal in the early 70s, and you can see the amp behind the cymbals,…

Here’s a better pic of one I saw on Reverb,…

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
To The Forum
Myself I would stay with the head an 212 cab,, in my 20’s I gigged with a 2104 212 combo,, but I ran it to a full stack of 412 cabs.. this was late 70’s early 80’s. The combo was heavy but it was what I had.
Be prepared to heft a 212 combo, they are not light..

Cheers
Mitch

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

I personally like a cabinet behind me, I do not want my guitar through monitors.
Closed back cabs can be very directional making it harder for the band to hear me and beamy out front.
Smaller combos work great for me in smaller venues that we play, compact, can sound excellent, saves space and labour when you are hauling lots of stuff. The Mesa MkV 35 is super cool little unit and stacks atop a closed back 1x12 very well, for example.
That said, OP already has a head and 2x12 cab! So yeah, seems entirely pointless to consider a combo at that point.
He is set already!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I don't think you are missing anything. Seems lots don't want to carry around that heavy combo or possibly hate the sound of combos.
I would rather carry a combo than lug a 4x12 by myself.
As long as you can find one, do it I say.
well, there's also the "if it has more than 5 knobs..." crowd...

not sure why 6, or more knobs throws them for a mind loop, but... :shrug:...

sir axeman

Reaction score
I recently got a 410C and its good. It isn't as good sounding as my 1923C (same cabinet and speakers but basically a limited edition DSL50 combo)...but whilst the DSL beats it on tone (IMO) the JVM is the ultimate in versatility...and I knew this before I bought it. Got it for a great price (£550) and so no regrets.
Now for me I've pretty much always gigged 2x12 combos. I Prefer an open back cab as well for a more airy open sound. Hearing it onstage? Amp stands are a very easy cheap solution get it off the ground and you'll never fail to easily hear it. Heavy? Well...if you can put wheels on a 2x12 or 4x12 cab then you can do the same for a 2x12 combo. Or use a sack trolley. So weights a none issue. For me physical size for fitting in the car and storing at home is more important. Lots of great famous players have used 2x12 combos since forever. They work perfectly fine. Sure if you like the thud of a closed back cab then that's going to affect your choice. I once had a DSL50 head and 1960AV cab...was great but the cab was too big for my car and lets be honest, lets take looks out of the picture for a moment...are they really that important? Looking like a rock star whilst playing to 40-100 people down the local pub IMO is overkill. Its totally unnecessary. I would happily do a head and cab again, but it'd be a 2x12 for sure. I like how Orange give you a split back panel so you could do open or closed back on your cab too..that's a nice touch. But an easy mod to do with any Marshall/other cab, just knock up a half sized back and screw it on and you've got an open back cab. You'll hear that better onstage and it won't be beamy melting the faces off the first few rows of victims. I mean punters down the local pub.

Latest posts