JVM 410 is it time to replace tubes?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by bobbyvasco, Jan 28, 2021.

1. bobbyvasco

bobbyvasco Active Member

I opened the back mesh and I tapped on the large tubes and all sound pretty much the same....
    But I saw only 4 small tubes and 4 big ones....but some people sell 5 small and 4 big tubes package on ebay for jvm 410....so I am confused...
    there is a metal basing could be covering the most left one small tube, but not sure....all other tubes were without metal casings....I tried to take it off but it did not bulge. So maybe there is not even a tube underneath....
    Need some expertise here

2. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Well-Known Member

Huh, sounds like a marshall jvm410h is your first tube head? I guess you must be the "all in" type, lol. If this post is serious....still not sure. Big ones are power amp tubes and little ones are preamp tubes and yes, one with metal casing has a tube inside. You only need to replace them if they are bad, and bad is indicated by the amp not working right. So what is wrong with the amp? I would suggest watching some youtube videos on tubeamps in general. Don't need an advanced course, but it would appear you could use some of the basics. cheers!

Old Punker, Adieu and Jethro Rocker like this.
  3. bobbyvasco

bobbyvasco Active Member

YOu think I am trolling? YOU want video? Well I think the amp is not sound the best....I tapped on big tubes and all have like clingy sound....so you are saying it is enough to replace only big four tubes and not the 5 small ones? So why is the top left preamp tube the only one having the metal casing around? Is that stock or did the previous owner took the others off? I know on JCM 900 all had these metal casings on....so I wonder....

4. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Well-Known Member

You can check the size of the big tubes. Sometimes people get cheap and replace them with smaller ones. Here is a picture of the tubes out of my 410h. This is the factory size. If yours are smaller, they are the wrong ones. [​IMG] Sounds like this is your problem. The metal casing is there to prevent tranedential meditation waves from destabilizing the phase inverter. Make sure you put it back if you replace your phase inverter tube or it will generate tachyon beams.

Off course, my entire post is BS. wow dude, you need to chill. Abandon thread activate....[​IMG]

5. bobbyvasco

bobbyvasco Active Member

dude, it took you long time to reply with such a post...I am happy I took at least 10 min of your time for useless stuff.

I asked the serious questions but apparently, you cant afford real JVM Marshall...

6. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The glass envelope makes that sound when tapped on..................

Old Punker and LPMarshall hack like this.
  7. bobbyvasco

bobbyvasco Active Member

i have read that when you tap on the tubes, you can see if it needs replacing, that is all but some newbies dont get it, cause they still rock cheapo amps

8. anitoli

That's not really correct. A tube tester is what you need to look at the electrical parameters of the tube and then your ears.

Jethro Rocker and Old Punker like this.
  9. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Member

How long have you owned the amp? Have you ever had tubes replaced? Where the tubes known to be new when you acquired the amp? How often do you use the amp per week? What about the amp doesn't sound right?

You may or may not need to replace them. It depends. If you replace power tubes you will need to BIAS the amp for the new tubes in most cases, so you will need the ability to do this and the right tools, or pay someone to do this.

Old Punker likes this.
  10. bobbyvasco

bobbyvasco Active Member

the clean sounds weird, I had fender amp before and clean was amazing with my strat.....but JVM it just sounds flat...
    I bought it from some guy like 4 years ago, never replaced the tubes.....the od channels sound good with my les paul and also with strat , but the clean is so flat on my fender....
    and once it happened that the amp volume suddenly dropped....but then it came back luckily.....
    With me precous fender hot rod amp, if the sound volume dropped and the amp start crackling...I knew I had to replace the tubes....
    but here I am not sure....does JVM has such shitty clean flat sound compared to small fender hot rod or are the tubes bad....

11. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Dude, you posted the following.

Aug 2019 that the JVM doesn't sound good, it sounds thin, never really followed up on it after getting advice. . You said the cleans were not like the Fender. Sound familiar?

Aug 2019 asked about changing tubes. I think you never even responded again in this thread as to what people asked.

Apr.2020 Neighbors complain about the volume, well you have previously stated you always have it on 10. Which might explain why the cleans sound bad. Still using the crappy tubes form the previous year?

OCt. 2020 JVm sounds bad. Same as a year earlier. Did you try anything to fix the "problem?"

Jan 2 2021 you think it has had it cause it sounds bad. According to you it has sounded bad for a year and a half at this point.

Then asked where to get tubes. Today you ask how to test the tubes. Still say it doesn't sound like the Fender.

What settings? What guitar? What volume? It ISN'T a Fender for cleans. You have been asked all these things before. Have you looked into any of them or even responded??
    No wonder people think you are just trolling.

12. bobbyvasco

bobbyvasco Active Member

Well it is the same problem apparently. I dont want to spend money and replace all tubes if not needed. If the clean sounds crappy compared to fender hot rod than that is marshall sound....how do I know that? I could never test the new JVM 410....I bought it used....
    One neighbor started to complain yes....last year LOL...before I always played at 10 max and nobody said anything.

I also saw the new problem that arose this year when I switch from mono to stereo in my marshall cab and after few minutes the sound was gone all of a sudden. I thought I damaged the marshall but then I switched back to mono and it plays well. The only problem was like 3 weeks ago when the sound suddenly went to really quiet so I turned off the amp and I was sure that is it, the amp was dunzo. But the next day the amp played just fine.

I have all my gear in my sig, you can clearly see it. Fender, les paul and marshall cab...

You say it is not Fender for cleans....so why not? Is marshall just for overdriven sound?

13. bobbyvasco

bobbyvasco Active Member

here is my video of my righ, I just just playing stupid stuff on my guitar... but you can check the sound...I have everything on 10 maxed out

Cornfilled Screamer likes this.
  14. Jethro Rocker

Everything on 10 maxed out. Like volumes, tones etc? No wonder it isnt clean. Changing tubes wont help. You are on neck pickup that is very bassy. Obviously not set on the clean channel. Amp up against a wall in a fairly small place and likely overloading the recording,, by the sounds of it.
    What channel, what mode? Try turning it down to a reasonable level, set bass low and play on the bridge pickup. The thing is this problem has been going on for a year and a half but you haven't addressed it. While we all like loud guitar, a reasonable level given the venue is just common sense.
    It should have good cleans when set to a decnet level. I don't know the settings on the clean channel. Most people don't buy a big 4 channel Marshall for clean playing.

That in itself is a problem. When you switch from stereo to mono, you are changing the load or impedance on the amp. Did you do this while playing or shut the amp off in between? You can't willy nilly change impedances without changing to the correct output jacks on the back. It will sound crappy in a small space turned up that loud. Keep bass high, play on neck pickup and no wonder. Also you have complained about feedback, again, small space little wonder.

Old Punker likes this.
  15. bobbyvasco

bobbyvasco Active Member

I did turn of the amp of course...and I changed the plug to 16 ohm or something so it matched too....
    everything max out I mean only the volume and master of course....nothing else....
    I need to record clean so you will see...I will do it tomorrow....

16. Jethro Rocker

Ah. Thats good.

Well I can say turn master down to 5. Redo that on bridge pickup. Sounds way better. Most amps sound like ass on full volume.
    What channel amd mode were you on? Neck pickup as required but not all the time.

Chris-in-LA likes this.
  17. bobbyvasco

bobbyvasco Active Member

i am always using od2, there is never enough drive for me
    the red one, the one with most drive..

18. anitoli

The only Marshall that i am aware of that can get close to"Fender" clean is the 6100. The rest have Marshall clean which isn't very clean at all.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  19. bobbyvasco

bobbyvasco Active Member

it is not that it is not clean....it just sounds flat....so is it because of reverb, that fender has a natural reverb or something else....it just sounds fake......with no delay etc....
    the hot rod had a delay and reverb, sustain, marshall has only fake reverb....

20. Jethro Rocker

Where is your gain? OD2 is very gain heavy. Set bass low and use bridge pickup.

Put a reverb in the loop. I dont like Fender sprong reverbs personally, they dont sound like playinb in a big room. To each his own.
    Keep presence higher? Wheee are ypur settings for clean? What guitar? Which pickup?

I really think most of the problem is the level set to 10. No reason for that at all.

Old Punker and LPMarshall hack like this.