Jvm 215c Od Channel ?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Graham G, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Graham G

Graham G Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I've been reading the JVM Mods section,mostly OD2 to OD1,which I was interested in doing.
    But after a recent speaker change,what i'd really like to try is a Crunch to OD1 mod,is this possible?,or a no go,please forgive me if i'm talking rubbish:),it won't be the 1st time & certainly not the last.:D

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

Talk to us a little about your signal chain (guitar, pick up, FX, cab, speakers) and what sort of tones you are looking for. We might be able to save you some time and money if we know that.

3. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "Crunch to OD1 mod"?
    The JVM2 series has just 2 channels. The shared clean/crunch (in analogy to JVM4 clean green, crunch orange, crunch red) and the overdrive channel ("OD2" on JVM4).
    You can't mod the first channel to "OD1" to get a JVM2 with OD1 (first channel) and OD2 (second channel) if that was, what you're looking for.

4. Graham G

Thanks,yes what I am asking is,could the Crunch Ch be Modded to be an Overdrive Ch.,to give me 2 x OD channels,looks like from Moonys answer that it can't be.
    I only asked because with the original speaker, the OD Ch. was thin & Fizzy sounding,now with the Redback,OD orange sounds great & it feels like I could easily use 2 OD channels,but if I can't then I can't,sometimes you just want more & more:D

5. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

Fizzy yes - but thin?
    Not at all! If this stock Celestion works properly (and then it has massive low end) there might be something wrong with your amp.

6. Graham G

Maybe there is,but the Redback has seemed to cure it :),but I am new to Marshalls,so maybe I should get it checked out,just had a thought it's good to be new to something at my age.
    Serious question,could the OD channel be faulty but the Crunch channel be ok ?

7. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

If you talk about the clean/crunch vs the overdrive channel - in general yes, but there are different possibilities like a faulty relais etc..
    If the amp sounds ok right now, then it's just the different speaker you may like better.

8. Graham G

Thanks for the help,the Amp sounded pretty good in band practice last night,i'll give it a couple of gigs & see how it performs in the wild.

Moony likes this.
  9. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

humm i may need to do more homework, ive been wanting to get a JVM i thought that each channel had 3 modes?

I was wanting to get the 50 watt head and i knew it had 2 channels but i thought say channel 1 had like a green, orange, red mode? green being clean, orange being crunchy and red being hot high gain?

So you could have 2 channels the same or slightly different EQ or level wise or something. Is this not how they are? The JVM205 is the one i was looking at.

*heads off to dig up JVM205 manual*

10. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

The red mode on JVM2's clean/crunch channel is "crunch red" on JVM4.

You have two different channels, each has it's own EQ section and each has 3 different modes (green, orange, red).
    The schematics of the JVM215C and JVM205H are the same - there is no difference.

11. Delete!!

Delete!! Well-Known Member

Mine is new and I still have the stock speaker in it, have used it out a couple of times now on stage and it's certainly not thin.

Moony likes this.
  12. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

He swapped the stock speaker for an Eminence Redback, which really is a monster of a speaker - so someone could think, it was "thin" before - but it certainly isn't.

13. gadgetfreak

gadgetfreak Active Member

Hi I own a 205H and you can do basically what your saying having a couple of od's setup, Like Moony said there are 3 modes per channel and 2 channels. I guess everyone's Idea of a OD channel or tone is different, I have my amp setup exactly like you describe and rarely use the OD2 channel at all. My amp is Fa Fa Fa Fat sounding as all hell. Little more modern on the drive than i hoped for but I'm a classic rocker so I can dial in some great tones no doubt.

Hands down the best amp for home/gig playing sounds awesome at bedroom tones and 50 watts will play any gig these days. I play a les paul/ es335 through 2x12 greenback 20 watters. Good luck

Moony likes this.
  14. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Well-Known Member

I stumbled upon the JHS Haunting Mids pedal and I love it with the OD orange and red modes. With just a mild boost at around 400hz the OD channel really fills out, Mids become very close to OD1 on the 4-channel models, and you can boost even more for some wicked Michael Schenker cocked-wah sounds. Instead of boosting Crunch you can use an EQ to basically get two OD channels.

Delete!! and Moony like this.
  15. Delete!!

I have a JHS Timmons v2 pedal with the separate boost, and it sounds killer boosting the green channel on my JVM. The boost section on it is a TS-style mid boost with some drive, so I totally get where you are coming from and can imagine it sounds great.

Angus Rhoads likes this.
  16. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Well-Known Member

That one's like a modded Angry Charlie, right? JHS makes nice stuff. I want to pick up that OD pedal they did with BOSS.

17. Delete!!

Yes, it’s like the older Angry Charlie pedal (without the 3 band-eq) and has a separate foot-switchable boost. It’s easily the best distortion pedal I have ever owned, and ended my thirst for buying high-gain pedals. The boost is really a nice bonus, it works really well going into the drive channels of my amps. Just another tool in the toolbox.