JVM-1H and Speaker Cabinet Ohms/Watts

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Gianni, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I have recently managed to find a 50th Anniversary JVM-1 Head, new, in an online shop in Italy, and it is now in the post to me in Greece. This will in fact be my first valve amp, which I intend to use for playing at home, and I am now looking for a Marshall speaker cabinet to use with it. As I am not very knowledgeable on the subject, could you please give me some advice on 2 questions?

1. The amp’s Speaker Output reads: 1W @ 16 OHM (8 OHM MIN), which I guess means that I can safely use an 8-Ohm speaker cab with it. Will, however, using an 8-Ohm cab affect the amp’s output transformer, power valves or ‘wattage’ in any way? For example, I’ve read that this could force the power valves to work harder, shortening their life as a result.

2. The speaker cab I am considering is the closed-back Marshall 2061CX at 60 Watts, with 2x12” Celestion G12H-30 speakers, which has an 8 Ohm impedance though. Would you consider 60 Watts too much for a 1-Watt amp head to drive effectively, and get a full sound out of it?

Cheers,
    Gianni

2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum...

I wouldn't sweat it. I use 2- 1912 cab's loaded w/ 16 ohm speakers (for an 8 ohm load). If it does make a difference, it's negligible...

My cab's are loaded w/ H30 & V30. Amp runs them well...

Congrat's!

:cheers:

Gianni likes this.
  3. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

Dogs of Doom,

Thank you very much for the quick response and useful input. I've read quite a few of your posts in other threads in the past, and I'm glad I was welcomed by you to the forum.

Your 2¢ is worth so much more!

4. drgordonfreeman

drgordonfreeman Well-Known Member

I use a 2x12 with Celestion G12K-100 speakers rated at 8 ohms for my JVM1. Sounds awesome!

Gianni likes this.
  5. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

DrGordonFreeman,

Thanks a lot for your input. That’s really good to know.

I like your avatar. Subtle but powerful!

6. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    You are good to use that cab with the JVM1. Not only that, it will sound brilliant. :yesway:

Gianni likes this.
  7. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

Georgiatec,

Thank you very much for your input. Nice to have a Brit’s opinion too on the matter. I spent 8, cherished, years in Brighton a while ago.

I’ve read about you and your daughter writing and playing music together in another thread. Lovely stuff, mate! Oh, and I really enjoyed your version of ‘Gold on the Ceiling’ on SoundCloud. I wish you both all the best!

Georgiatec likes this.
  8. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    All the best to you too Gianni and thank you for your kind words. I hope the JVM1 & 2061cx do the trick for you. :wave:

Gianni likes this.
  9. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

dleake likes this.
  10. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

11. dleake

dleake Active Member

I use either a Marshall 1965b 4x10 cab rated at 8 ohms or a Marshall JTMC12 1x12 rated 16 ohms with my JVM-1H and both sound massive. Very happy with both.

Gianni likes this.
  12. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  13. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

14. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

15. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

I received the JVM-1 Head yesterday, and this morning took it to the Marshall distributor’s music store, where I got to play it through a few different cabs, and ended up ordering the 2061CX. I’m picking up a factory-fresh one tomorrow. It was 594€ (if ordered online) but got it for 549€, in 3 interest-free monthly payments on my credit card (622€ at Thomann!). I can’t wait! :D

Thank you all very much for your help!​

:wave:

16. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are all set.

Gianni likes this.
  17. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

MartyStrat54,

Sure feels like it!
    I’m glad YOU think so too. ;)

18. Dogs of Doom

The only suggestion I might add, is try a V30 along w/ one of the H30 speakers. If you don't have the money right now, just think down the line. You can always sell the H30 you pull out.

Gianni likes this.
  19. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

Dogs of Doom,

You know, I HAVE actually made a note of your speaker combination ever since I read your first post, when you welcomed me to the forum, as something I would like to try at some point, and been meaning to ask you about the fact that the G12H-30 is a 30-Watt speaker, while the Vintage-30 is 60 Watts.

My cab is rated at 8 Ohms/60 Watts, while the G12H-30 is available at both 8 and 16 Ohms, same as the Vintage-30. According to some reading I’ve been doing on speaker wiring, the only way to get an 8-Ohm cab with these two speakers is if they are the 16-Ohm ones, wired in parallel. So, replacing one of them with a 16-Ohm Vintage-30, I would still have an 8-Ohm cab, now rated at 90 Watts. The difference in wattage between the two speakers may or may not be important when the cab is used with the JVM-1 Head, but what if I were to play a 50-Watt amp through it?

Also, the 2061CX is a slanted cab. Would you for any reason choose to replace the top speaker with the Vintage-30 over the bottom one, or vice versa?

By the way, have you kept both your 1912 cabs closed-back as they come from the factory? When stacking two cabs together, some people like to leave one of them open and the other closed-back. This way they get the advantages of both cab designs, and a more balanced tone.

20. Dogs of Doom

Yes, your cab is rated at 8 ohms. It has 2- 16 ohm speakers wired parallel. To change the speaker, you would replace it w/ another 16 ohm speaker.

The speakers have the same efficiency (100db), so they will play at the same volume.

When using speakers of different wattages, you do not add the total wattage together. You reduce all speakers to the weakest value (30 watts in this case) & multiply x's the amount of speakers. So, you would rate the cabinet at 60 watts. The 60 watt speaker will just handle plenty more than you can safely put through the cabinet.

W/ a 1 watt amp though, the power rating isn't really important. Just, if you hook up to a 50 or more watt amp, you need to be careful not to overload the 30 watt speaker.

I tend to like closed back cab's, so I have them both sealed. This is also the reason I do not really like combo amps.

Hope this helps!

Gianni likes this.