JVM 1 watt? How is it?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by usablefiber, Mar 30, 2014.

1. usablefiber

usablefiber Active Member

I love the idea of a practice 1 watt marshall amp. I don't need to get into metal territory so ideally I would like a jmp or jcm 1 watt. However It is much easier to find the JVM at good prices. How does the clean channel sound? If I crank the clean channel is it still a decent classic marshall crunch tone or is it worth holding out for a jmp?

2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

The crunch tone is versatile enough. The clean tone is clean. 1 watt is louder than you might think. If you turn up the 1 watter, chances are, everyone in the house will be drowned out w/ sound, so, no TV or music for them...

3. Stringjunkie

Stringjunkie Well-Known Member

I have a DSL1h for sale, it does both old/new the best IMO. I had the JCM,JVM and DSL. It's the last one standing.
    But it's for sale in the classifieds.
    And the JVM is good also.

4. acidvoodoo

acidvoodoo Well-Known Member

I also have a JVM1 and DSL1.. I like the JVM's gain better, it just flat out rips and can be dialed back for classic tones. As much as I like the DSL1 I feel like the gain gets fizzy past 10 o'clock but the clean channel is awesome, better than the JVM imo.

indeedido and Stringjunkie like this.
  5. Stringjunkie

Stringjunkie Well-Known Member

The JVM is definitely better at modern high gain. But idk about "fizzy after 10" man..I used it all over the dial and like it all the way on clean channel and up to 3oclock or so on the gain channel personally but I use it most around the 1 o'clock position.

6. acidvoodoo

acidvoodoo Well-Known Member

Maybe it has something to do the hotter pickups I use? I just tend to keep the gain around 10 o'clock.

7. MarshallMark

MarshallMark New Member

JVM1 has bawls for days. If I gotta choose between the JVM and DSL gain tone it would have to be the JVM. However variety is good.

8. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Well-Known Member

I have the big boy JVM410h with a 1960A cab. And the JVM1h is so good I wish I had one of those myself. My bro got the JVM1h based on my recommendation (and he found one NEW for a good deal). We're working on getting some 1x12" cabs made to make a mini-stack. Haven't decided which 12" speakers to put in there yet.

9. Dogs of Doom

h30/v30

MarshallMark likes this.
  10. usablefiber

usablefiber Active Member

Yea I know 1 watt isn't exactly completely quiet. I made that mistake with the class 5. I thought it would be a great practice amp but even though the 1 x 12, 15W speaker that thing is pretty loud. I honestly really didn't like the class 5 for my purposes. The overdrive to me sounded like a really wimpy sounding bassman/tweed amp which sounded like sludge to me. I ended up flipping it.

I think the one watt would be great for getting solid tones and practicing/rehearsing without a drummer.

I have a pretty complicated effects rig so I don't know how great my setup would sound for jamming without an effects loop.

Either way I spotted a JMP1 combo for about 500 and a jvm1 for slightly more so I am going to choose between those. The place may also have a jcm head which I'll consider as well.

11. Dogs of Doom

Just so you know how loud it can be, someone posted a jam session they had (think typical garage tape) & the amp was a little deficient, but for rhythm kept up w/ the drummer...

I have the JVM1h. I run it into 2- 1912 cab's in an iso box. I generally run it around 9 o'clock on volume & mic/direct re-amp into my interface. I have 2 mic's (Sennheiser MK4) & 2 direct lines. I have a Redbox 5 direct into the interface (dry) & the simulated out, running into my QuadroverbII direct into my interface to run a wet/dry stereo feed, that I can control 100% to my liking at any volume.

So, I run the mic's dry V30-L H30-R, the H&K Redbox 5 dry (mono) & the simulated out 100% effects (stereo) into my Scarlet 18i20 & get an awesome sound. I just mix everything to get the sound/depth I want & am happy w/ it. I run the gain on the JVM @ around 4-6, depending on how heavy I want it (& which guitar I'm using - although, most of my guitars are pretty hot)

For my iso box, I snagged up a used Anvil case, approx 44x22x30. Drilled a few holes where the top/bottom meet for the cables & it rocks...

So, whatever route you end up w/ that's a good option for you to get studio sounds all the time, every time, w/ consistency...

12. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Well-Known Member

:scratch:

Have you not looked at the specs of the JVM1? It HAS an Effects Loop...on the back...

[​IMG]