Just Ordered My Weber Mass

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by iron broadsword, Jun 10, 2016.

1. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

Got the 200 so I can crank my 900 to my heart's content.. Now we wait. Anybody else have experience ordering one of these from weber? Just wondering what to expect for a turnaround time.

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I think I waited 10 days for mine. I had them put a headphone jack on mine, it didn't sound so great but they have an option to make it foot switchable which I wish I'd done. Something to think about.

3. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Hopefully it works out well for you. Mine has the footswitch option (which is a good idea) but I've still never taken it outside the house and have barely used it. The amp sounds better without it, just that simple. YMMV...

Garrett likes this.
  4. iron broadsword

Yeah I got the footswitch option. It'd be easy to install if you ever change your mind, camp.. Probably just a DPDT. Or 3PDT if you want an LED.

Thanks John for the feedback. It was this vid that sold me on it:

johnfv likes this.
  5. pedecamp

I actually sold mine off last year, I wish I kept it cuz I wanna use it again with a footswitch as a lead/volume boost with my 2204.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    iron broadsword and johnfv like this.
  6. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Yeah, I need to try that one of these days although I suspect I'd end up wanting some extra gain in front as well for the boost. Since I have the Satriani JVM when I want switching/boost capability I often end up using that since I can also switch effects (if needed) via same midi controller. I'm playing a gig this weekend where I was thinking about using no effects at all but ultimately decided to use the JVM because it's so convenient... and sounds great.

iron broadsword likes this.
  7. pedecamp

Let me know when you try it out. I figured if I needed more gain for the lead boost I'd have to step on an OD also. I love this amp but it really needs a loop but I'm afraid I'd ruin the amp if I added one.

8. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

My Weber Mass 200 works for my amps just fine. Turn around time is fine. Wouldn't waste money on anything else More expensive promising better tone and dynamics. I suspect those that do need that so they think they sound better. I don't. I sound fucking great either way.LOL

9. iron broadsword

Hah. Well, the way I see it is that the resistive load attenuator that I built sounds incredible at -12db, I just need a little more to get me where I wanna go in live situations. Right now when I crank the amp and ride the preamp gain down around 1, it's amazing for rhythms. And a clean boost out front sends it into solo heaven with sustain for years or thundering modern rock that is big and juicy but not too compressed. Can't get those sound with only preamp gain. I don't care how many power tubes it eats once I'm running it that way all the time.. I have some svetlanas in there right now and even they sound incredible... and those are the ones people told me sounded like crap.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  10. solarburnDSL50

Yer doing it right. I never have preamp gain only and like you need a solid amount of the power section mixed in whether the amp is master volume or not. Guitar players with mileage know where the magic starts. Then use the guitar knobs to wield it. Love playing this way. So rewarding.

11. iron broadsword

I've heard it said that it's like surfing when you get that cranked amp sustain thing going... In my experience this is absolutely true. Nothing quite like it!

12. iron broadsword

Just got the shipping notice. :slash:

I love that it has a line out.. I'll have to try it into another amp with some post-poweramp delay.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  13. Hysteria

Hysteria Member

I have a Weber and absolutely love it! It lets me dime the amp and still play at bedroom levels without issue!

14. ricksteruk

ricksteruk Well-Known Member

Yeah the line out is a pretty cool feature.. I'd been considering picking up a Class 5 to do the exact same - adding post FX after all the nice Marshall valve goodness :)

15. iron broadsword

Yeah, a class 5 with delay after the power amp is really nice IMHO. Check out this vid:

16. iron broadsword

11 days, that's how long it took to get here.

As for tone, yowza! I can confirm that Johan's vid that I posted above is an excellent representation of what it sounds like. You lose basically no tone all the way down to nothing except that your singing sustain doesn't survive at lower volumes. But all volume settings that you'd actually use with a band, even a quiet band, you still have that sweet sustain and controlled feedback. Well done, weber. Well done. Now I can have my cake and eat it too.

solarburnDSL50 and pedecamp like this.
  17. pedecamp

I'm glad you like it, I originally got mine for a Ceriatone plexi I had and it worked well but when I got rid of the amp I got rid of the attenuator. I wish I had kept it, I want one now to use as a lead boost for my 2204. How does the footswitch work for you?

18. iron broadsword

I put it in a box and tucked it away in my misc gear drawer without even trying it, haha. I bought it in case I ever wanted it, but don't really intend to use with my current gear because I attenuate too much. I get my cleans by rolling the guitar vol and I've got a 2nd master vol on the other channel on the 900 for leads, so I've got the amp screaming.

19. solarburnDSL50

Glad the Weber works for you. Does for me too.

Look how much money we saved compared to other offerings. I think about that every time I use it. That I didn't have to have a better more expensive device. The Weber Mass is good enough for my needs.

iron broadsword and pedecamp like this.
  20. iron broadsword

+1

Until I hear a solid comparison at different volumes like mr. Segeborn did with the mass for a more expensive device, I've no reason to consider something else.