Just Glued up an Electro-voice TL 806 cabinet

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by ClosetSciFiGeek, Sep 19, 2020.

1. ClosetSciFiGeek

ClosetSciFiGeek New Member

2. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

Nice looking work! Are you going to stuff it or run it naked?

Russ

3. ClosetSciFiGeek

Gonna stuff it with some cloth insulation to knock down some of the highs that would otherwise come out of the ports.

Sustainium likes this.
  4. ClosetSciFiGeek

IMG_0948.JPG IMG_0949.JPG IMG_0950.JPG IMG_0951.JPG Quickie update. After digging concrete mounted posts that were shot and setting new ones in my yard this week I finally had time to get back to this. Did the following:
    1) Routed the 3/4" roundovers
    2) Filled recessed screw holes and the routed edges with Bondo and sanded the profiles
    3) Cut the exterior recess for the front mounted speaker and cut the through circle in the baffle with the router
    4) Installed the 10-32x5/16" T-nuts in the baffle
    5) Installed some 1/4" plywood triangles to the corners of the baffle to provide standoff for the upcoming grill
    6) Shot the slot port, exterior corners, and baffle with flat black
    7) Adhered cloth insulation with construction adhesive to the entire interior of the cabinet

Upcoming should be tolex application with contact cement (gonna do a four piece application, both sides and the top and bottom overlapping those), then cab corners all around, screw on feet, and handle.

5. ClosetSciFiGeek

IMG_0952.JPG IMG_0953.JPG With the bad weather this weekend I have had indoor time to cut the rear 1/4" input cup hole, drill holes for the handle and mount t-nuts, install the baffle with black silicone and tolex the exterior (ended up doing two sides and a really long wrap around the bottom/back/top. It's basically done except for the grill, but I had to hear it so I plugged it into the Ceriatone 2550 and let her rip. Initial impressions of the TL806 Electrovoice design is that palm muting hits hard out of the slotted port (sounds more like the weight of a 2x12") and the Celestion Vintage 30 has that vocal quality that lets you hear the next note you are reaching for in the blues lick you are playing. I am a fan. I put the handle on the side and am glad I did as it carried well from the garage up the stairs to my study/studio room.

GIBSON67 and jmp45 like this.
  6. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Wasn't the Thiele TL806 designed for an EV 12L? ;-)

Great job looks neat

7. ClosetSciFiGeek

Sure was designed for a EV12L, but I am here to tell you that a Celestion Vintage 30 also sounds great in it.

StingRay85 likes this.
  8. ClosetSciFiGeek

I have found Celestion Vintage 30's kind of lacking in the bottom end which makes them great in a band scenario, but for home I can't imagine a much better mix of cab/speaker. Kind of rounds out the lows a little.