Just bought the SC20H - thoughts on speaker pairing

Old Punker

Reaction score
The Mesa Boogie version V30 isn't as spikey as the standard late model Celestion V30. It sounds more like the 90's version.

The EVH /Heritage G12M is warmer sounding than the standard G12m greenback, and two should handle the SC20 no problem.
Yeah I've got a 2x12 Recto cab with the Mesa V30's and I really like it. I use it with my SC20H when I'm playing heavier stuff like early metal. I use the Marshall Studio 2x12 cab with V-type for classic/hard rock.

C-4

Reaction score
Hello fellow Marshall heads,

I have been a super fan of the 2203/2204 circuit since I acquired my JCM 800 2204 vertical input model in 1993 (bought it used for $350 in a dirty ass apartment building in Hollywood). I have played hundreds of gigs with my 2204 and more recently with my 2203x (loop is great for delay and solo boost). I'm getting a bit old (turned 50 in December) and I've decided to downsize from a 2203 and 4x12 cabinet to a SC20H mini 800 and a 2x12 cabinet.

My 4x12 is loaded with V30's and sounds amazing to me. I have 2x12 cab with the same speakers and it sounds not so great...the 2x12 format is really bringing out the high mid-range that people complain about in the V30 speakers. For those of you using an 800 with a 2x12 cab, what are your speakers of choice and why? Looking for advice on the speakers..maybe pairing a V30 with another speaker or completely changing them for 2 other speakers.

Thank you in advance for any guidance, knowledge and tips. Much appreciated my fellow rockers! Have a blessed day.

Tony
Wow, Tony! You are downsizing earlier then I had too. I'm 74 and started downsizing a couple of years ago due to club volume restrictions and of course my age in relation to the weight of the 100 watters and cabs.

You might audition a Celestion Cream Alnico 90 speaker.
I saw a video from Lance Keltner using them and it convinced me that it would do anything. I ordered a Zilla Ported 1x12 with a Cream Alnico 90 in it and sounds big, not at all boxy, and the speaker does just what Lance said it would.

Last edited:

Deftone

Reaction score
Did not like the quad of V30's with my 2204, but I just switched two of them out for G12T-75's and the combo sounds amazing.

C-4

Reaction score
This is an FYI...
I watched a Tony Mckenzie video on the 2525H, in which he mentioned a store in the U.K. that allowed him to custom order the head shell as he desired.
I just got off the phone with that store, and they are checking in to see if they can get a custom ordered 2525H with the colored tolex and trim I desire.

I tried this with another store in the U.K., but they were told they could not sell an amp outside of the U.K.
I am hoping this store will be allowed to do this order.

I also just checked the British pound to US dollar conversion, and it should be less expensive, but no more expensive then if I bought a stock Marshall 2525H here in the states.

If you live in the U.K. and are interested in this, call Fair Deal Music in Birmingham (home of ELO). They are friendly and will help you.

If you live in the US and are interested, you will need to dial 011 44 before the store number listed in their FAQ page, and drop the first zero in their store number when dialing.

I hope that if any of you are interested, this helps you out.
Stephen :)

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a Creamback 65 in a 1-12 cab with my SC20, sounds great! Just the right amount of everything for me, highs, lows, mids. A very well balanced speaker imo.

abkeller1

Reaction score

I have been a super fan of the 2203/2204 circuit since I acquired my JCM 800 2204 vertical input model in 1993 (bought it used for $350 in a dirty ass apartment building in Hollywood). I have played hundreds of gigs with my 2204 and more recently with my 2203x (loop is great for delay and solo boost). I'm getting a bit old (turned 50 in December) and I've decided to downsize from a 2203 and 4x12 cabinet to a SC20H mini 800 and a 2x12 cabinet.

My 4x12 is loaded with V30's and sounds amazing to me. I have 2x12 cab with the same speakers and it sounds not so great...the 2x12 format is really bringing out the high mid-range that people complain about in the V30 speakers. For those of you using an 800 with a 2x12 cab, what are your speakers of choice and why? Looking for advice on the speakers..maybe pairing a V30 with another speaker or completely changing them for 2 other speakers.

Thank you in advance for any guidance, knowledge and tips. Much appreciated my fellow rockers! Have a blessed day.

Tony
I have a Marshall 1936v 2x12 & love it. I bought a 4x12 1960av a few months ago, I hated it all i heard was thump and no midrange. I think it's the slant cabinet so I returned it. I love the midrange of the 2x12 although mine are the Marshall Vintage speakers they are the original U.K V 30's that don't sound as spiky
Which 2x12 cabinet do you have? which Vintage 30 speakers? Are they the Chinese ones? I also have a 1936 2x12 with G12t-75 that sound great too when pushed loud.

abkeller1

Reaction score
The Mesa Boogie version V30 isn't as spikey as the standard late model Celestion V30. It sounds more like the 90's version.

The EVH /Heritage G12M is warmer sounding than the standard G12m greenback, and two should handle the SC20 no problem.
the Marshall ones are even less spiky than the Mesa's. they are the original 80's V30

abkeller1

Reaction score
If you want Marshall then look at JVMC212 or 1936V type cabinets.
Don't do that JVMC212 it's an open back cabinet, loose the low end punch. Marshall's need a closed back. I had that cabinet for years, once I got the 1936 it was night & day.

Last edited:

mickeydg5

Reaction score
Don't do that JVMC212 it's an open back cabinet, loose the low end punch. Marshall's need a closed back. I had that cabinet for years, once I got the 1936 it was night & day.
That depends on your setup. I like these cabinets and also like closed back cabinets. The open back are more open sounding and can be used to reflect on boards or walls giving back to low end perception.
People, learn how to use your equipment to your advantage.
If you are dropping or depending on low chords then closed back may be an advantage.
I use other stuff to help concentrate and push my lows through. I have had no problem on low end guitar with these cabinets/speakers. I can rattle your fillings out.

Last edited:

FIREpunkMEDIC

Reaction score
Hey! So far only really played my SC20 at home, got it mainly for recording to compliment my Rockerverb 100w MKIII. Did get a little crazy for a bit and opened it up a bit volume wise and loved it with my Orange 2x12 with VERY well seasoned V30s. Something about the Orange cab shaves off a bit of the "spike" of v30s and the build of the cab adds a bit of thump. Stoked to try it through my well worn Orange 4x12 at practice soon...

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey! So far only really played my SC20 at home, got it mainly for recording to compliment my Rockerverb 100w MKIII. Did get a little crazy for a bit and opened it up a bit volume wise and loved it with my Orange 2x12 with VERY well seasoned V30s. Something about the Orange cab shaves off a bit of the "spike" of v30s and the build of the cab adds a bit of thump. Stoked to try it through my well worn Orange 4x12 at practice soon...
Congrats man! Enjoy in good health.
:cheers:
How about posting your thoughts and questions here too? :D,…

proxy

Reaction score

Tony
You should not pair speakers for no reason.
Especially if you play live ....